+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Components shortage

Deadeye
    Member #

Components shortage

I've heard a few rumors, and seen some evidence, that certain ammo is staying on the shelves a bit longer and that some places even have some ammo on the shelves all the time, possibly even with a little selection to pick from.

Is the shortage of powder and primers starting to bounce back a little from what you've seen? Just wondering when I should bother to drive to the LGS and look, and if we might be past the worst of it.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    "Bounce back" after a mere two months of panic buying?

Not even close. There has been no substantial time to make new supplies, get them in the system, and get them to those still wanting to buy several thousand at a time. Past history does not support the idea of the "shortage" easing already. The binge buying in the 90's and 2008-2009 were probably less severe than this one. There will likely be considerably more months of shortage before any production catches up.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    I tend to agree with 35Remmy ... it's going to be awhile for this one strictly because demand is much higher than every before due to the fact that there are far more firearms in the homes these days.
    "What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become."
    "In a nation where anything goes ... everything eventually will."

TEAM Marlin Express ~ #68 (338MX)
    TEAM 1894 ~ #173 (1894P & 1894CB LTD)
    TEAM 30-30 ~ #559
    Team 35 Rem ~ #35
    Marlin League ~ #88
    TEAM 39 ~ (1965 Golden 39-A)
    SC Moon Tree Team Marlin
    Guide Gun & Outfitter's Association
    GOA Member

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Local store has most powders and all but small pistol primers.
    They were talking like it would be about 8 months before things are normal.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    My local reloading shop has magnum primers only and even those are the weirdest off brands I've ever seen. Powder, except for the odd stuff, is not there. Even my tried and true 165 grain cast flat nose .308 for my 30-30 is sold out (***?). We are in a bad way right now. Demand has far outstripped supply. I expect we won't be out of the woods for 6 months or so and that's if everybody calms down now.

I am soooooooooo glad I have odd ball calibers to load and shoot right now. 450 Marlin, check. 375 H&H, check. Heck, even the 17HMR is good to go right now, double heck that's the only rimfire on the shelves around here unless you count the CCI 22 LR shot shell...
    #533 Team 30-30
    #124 Team 450
    Bolts, levers, 30 cal and now flying cinder blocks too, woohoo!

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I, also, feel compelled right now to point out the fallacy in that argument we've all heard a million times by now

"well I chose 9mm, .223 or .308 because it's always going to be available"

Hrmmm... Not so much.
    #533 Team 30-30
    #124 Team 450
    Bolts, levers, 30 cal and now flying cinder blocks too, woohoo!

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    If this obamanation is anything like the last one, and I believe it is much worse, it will be 2 - 3 years before things come back to anything like "normal".

It was into late the 3rd year before there was any sign of prices slowly coming down and they never came back to pre obamanation levels.

Sorry, guys, this is going to be a long ride.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
    Doc Holliday likes this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by cthulhufan View Post
    I, also, feel compelled right now to point out the fallacy in that argument we've all heard a million times by now

"well I chose 9mm, .223 or .308 because it's always going to be available"

Hrmmm... Not so much.
    Well ... okay, I think I understand where you are getting that from but I think you may have taken it a bit out of context in this case.

What is meant by that is that if the shtf there will be LEO and Military calibers out there first and foremost because more of that is produced, than any other calibers. Agreed? It stands to reason. Let's say, (and I am not saying this will ever happen but let's say), you come upon the scene of a firefight. You're going to find tons of spent brass for military calibers, you may even find some unspent ammo laying around here and there. That's just one reason why you hear, "those calibers are always going to be around." It's not literal, but it is common sense, sort of.

cthulhufan, dhansen and tarbe like this.

TEAM 30-30 ~ #559
    Team 35 Rem ~ #35
    Marlin League ~ #88
    SC Moon Tree Team Marlin
    GOA Member

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusty Deary Ol Coot View Post
    If this obamanation is anything like the last one, and I believe it is much worse, it will be 2 - 3 years before things come back to anything like "normal".

It was into late the 3rd year before there was any sign of prices slowly coming down and they never came back to pre obamanation levels.

Sorry, guys, this is going to be a long ride.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
    I dunno, I was kind of thinking that about this time four years ago and I was wrong. This time does feel different than anything before, including '94 and '08.

The problem is going to be, this time around and IMHO, that such a scare has been put in the collective consciousness of the average American about the direction this country is headed (given that Obango the communist was reelected), that we may be in permanent stockpiling mode. Seriously, I have a feeling that ammo is the new precious metal and firearms are the new latest and greatest electronics ... so-to-speak.

Supply may return and, in fact, far exceed anything we have ever experienced before, but demand may out-pace it simply because of the new mindset sweeping gun owners around the country.

I'm not just stock piling for myself now ... I'm stock piling for my kids and grandkids. I'm stock piling for anyone who might find it buried 50 years from now when the real shtf begins. I dunno how to explain it but there are 100s of 1000s of us out here doing it.
    BloodGroove4570 and tarbe like this.

TEAM 30-30 ~ #559
    Team 35 Rem ~ #35
    Marlin League ~ #88
    SC Moon Tree Team Marlin
    GOA Member

Gunfighter
    Member #
    So many more people are more worried this time because we are one step closer to history repeating itself. I don't know when the end of America as we now know will come, but I believe those born in the middle1930s to middle 1940s probably saw the best of what this country used to be. 2008 was closer to the end than many realize. I'm not comfortable at all that this country will survive another huge economic downturn too close to the last one. The rule of law is fast disappearing. Look at what the cops did in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina. Your 4th Amendment rights against unlawful search and seizure has been greatly restricted. Even if they're wrong in entering your home when you are there, and take your stuff, how are you going to get it back.

If I didn't enjoy and treasure guns, I probably wouldn't be on this site. But to survive in as much comfort as possible, don't forget other important stuff like toilet paper, spices to make make what you catch or kill taste better, and survival stuff you believe you and your family would rely on. So you decide to hunker down in suburbia, no problem defending your area because you and your friends know it well. The grocery stores will be empty in less than 3 days, there's only so many dogs and cats you can kill in suburbia before there's nothing but people left. Planning to survive anarchy is much more complicated than any of us think.
    Team 444 member #205

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links