Marlin Firearms Forum banner

44 sp and H110 Powder

3K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Oz 
#1 ·
I hope someone on this forum can help me out. I thought I saw some load date for a 44 Special, 200 grain lead loaded with 18 grains H110. I can not remember where I read that, but does that sound right?

Thanks..Phil

#5 ·
I have data for a 250 gr LSWC bullet it shows 20.0 of h110 at around 1148 fps it does not give pressure or CUP this a 44 special +P load .i do not no what pistol or rifle you are using so proceed with caution if i was using a bullet as light as 200 i would use unique instead

#6 ·
as i continue to search i am finding data on 250 swc only 18 gr of h110 at 1000 fps do not use in med or small frame revolvers .if you would like this data look at handloads .com 44 special +p data a lot of data there, but work up to every load carefully because a lot of this data is not pressure tested .have fun and load carefully

#7 ·
I think it might work for Plus-P loads, but it's not a good combination. H-110 is designed for magnum pistol cartridges (and a few small-cased rifle rounds) but given that the 44 Special has a SAAMI pressure ceiling of 15,500 PSI, H-110 is NOT the powder I'd be using. What gun are you loading for?

In its proper niche, H-110 is a good powder, but bear in mind it is not supposed to be loaded down more than three percent from maximum loads, and that is most assuredly NOT 44 Special territory. I'd look to something far better suited to the 44 Special, like Unique or even 2400, which handles reduced loads far better.

As the old-timers were fond of saying, don't try to make a special into a magnum. Use magnum data in magnum brass, in magnum guns ONLY.

Reactions: Oz
#8 ·
papajon

I agree with you in principle. but all data is useful for comparison if nothing else, I would not use H110 for a 44 special ether but some one might find a reason to he asked for data and i let hem know where to find it i really like the 44 special and use the old sheeter load 7.5 gr of unique in my 624 just thought i would chime in again

#9 ·
all data is useful for comparison if nothing else, I would not use H110 for a 44 special ether but some one might find a reason to he asked for data and i let hem know where to find it i really like the 44 special and use the old sheeter load 7.5 gr of unique in my 624 just thought i would chime in again
Mister270, I am really hoping this post was put up as a JOKE. Are you seriously advocating using H-110 in a cartridge it was NEVER intended for? It's a MAGNUM pistol powder, and yet you think it's "okay" to risk blowing up a gun with erratic ignition, or too much pressure, because (according to the company that makes the powder) it should never be reduced by more than 3%?

If all data is useful for "comparison" purposes, would you advocate using a full case of Bullseye in a 45-70? Surely something could be learned, right? Sure it could. Those who survived could write a nice epitaph for the idiot who tried it and blew himself up. With as many good powders as are available to the reloader these days, why would anyone advocate using a powder/bullet combination that is ill-suited for the intended use?

Sorry if I sound a little grumpy here, but your argument is a recipe for disaster that has NO merit. Use a suitable powder for the task at hand, or don't reload ammunition! It's this kind of thinking that gives reloaders a bad name.

Yes, he asked for data. Does that mean we should offer some obscure recipe that no one else recommends? What would be a better idea would be to say "No, DON'T Do That, it's a bad idea", use a powder better suited for what he wants to accomplish. With all the component choices available, why would anyone advocate a recipe that could lead to disaster?

My Number One Rule in reloading is to do it safely. Suggesting there is any benefit in recommending a powder/bullet combination that could well be inherently unsafe is not only irresponsible, it borders on the criminally negligent. I will not condone it, nor look the other way when it's done on this forum. If it's a load I wouldn't load in my own guns, with my hands/face in close proximity, then neither should anyone else.

Reactions: dmase
#10 ·
I think you be better off using 2400 or Unique in the .44 special IMO

#11 ·
,papajon

i just told him where to look for it, what he does with it is up to him someone obviously somewhere tried it because it was printed on handloads .com .I also suggested he be careful and also recommended unique to him as far as using data for comparison i do it all the time especially if it has pressure data with it .I have lots of data that i would not shoot and load books where i was the guy trying something different but i don't give that data out. no use repeating my mistakes. no offense was taken everyone is welcome to there opinion ,I have been loading for a long time so i have seen a lot of strange things, thank you for your input hope to here from you again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.