Performance Firearms and Thermodynamics. Parts I & II - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Like Tree188Likes

Thread: Performance Firearms and Thermodynamics. Parts I & II

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    That's a lot of accurate lead flying downrange..!!

If these guys ( and Gal ..! ) had been the shooters for the old Chicago gangs, Elliot Ness would have had a much shorter career there..!!
    Team 22 Magnum ! #008

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Oh yea...liked the music..!!
    msharley and gunscrewguy like this.
    Team 22 Magnum ! #008

Supporting Vendor
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild Turkey View Post
    Isn't heat dissipation part of the reason machine guns often fire from the "open bolt" position so that air can pass through the barrel when not firing?
    WT, your question does illuminate an interesting point about typical firearms. Aside from full autos firing from an open bolt, most guns effectively plug the bore with a fresh cartridge. The column of heated air inside the bore becomes the nemesis of heat dissipation, rapidly "saturated" with heat, and with near-zero circulation, it becomes a perfect insulator, preventing heat from leaving except through the barrel steel itself, to the outer surface.
    Ranger Point Precision (Houston, TX) - Lever Action expert, Precision Gunsmith and Machine Shop. We custom-build lever action, AR15 and long range rifles and we design and manufacture Marlin, Henry and Steyr A1 Pistol parts (medium loop levers, day & night sights, scope mounts, dovetail fillers, full-length 444 mag tubes, and more). Some of our best sellers are our Marlin 1894 Pistol Caliber, Short Strokes (9mm, 10mm, 327 Fed/32 H&R, .40 S&W, .44 RIPSAW, .45ACP, .45 Cowboy, .357 SIG and more); Marlin 410 Lever Action Shotgun; Marlin 336 36 RPP (big brother to the 35 Rem); Marlin 336 Ackley Improved and Ackley eXtreme for .308ME handloads (or 7-30 Waters, 38-55, 25-35); Hand-Built 6.5mm Grendel AR-15 Rifle; performance gunsmith services of all kinds from match grade barrel swaps to trigger & action jobs, accurizing, barrel shortening/threading/porting and muzzle brakes along with KG Gun Kote and Duracoat metal coatings and wood refinish work.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Sidewinder
    Member #
    "the additional energy needed to spin a bullet faster will manifest as extra heat in the bore,"

As you obviously know, the need for energy has never generated heat (other than political heat and pressure I suppose).

You might be saying that additional fuel manifests as additional heat in the barrel, but that's too obvious.

It would be interesting to contemplate exactly how much heat is contributed to the barrel by various events. For example, increasing the twist rate increases bullet deformation which heats the barrel. Increasing the twist rate increases the surface that the bullet must traverse, increasing total friction and therefore barrel temp. A heavier bullet or a faster twist will increase the time the bullet is in the barrel which increases the time that the hot gases are in contact with the barrel heating the barrel.

i recognize that you're thinking about how to eliminate heat, but it might be productive to think about how to avoid some of it as well.

Thanks for the interesting discussion,
    Jim
    msharley and M1Riflenut like this.

Supporting Vendor
    Member #
    I've always thought gain twist rifling was a cool idea. No pun intended. It would seem to have more than one advantage, but maybe it's just not cost effective. The only commercial application I'm aware of is the S&W .460. Might be an interesting conversation with my barrel maker next time I'm on the phone with them.
    Ranger Point Precision (Houston, TX) - Lever Action expert, Precision Gunsmith and Machine Shop. We custom-build lever action, AR15 and long range rifles and we design and manufacture Marlin, Henry and Steyr A1 Pistol parts (medium loop levers, day & night sights, scope mounts, dovetail fillers, full-length 444 mag tubes, and more). Some of our best sellers are our Marlin 1894 Pistol Caliber, Short Strokes (9mm, 10mm, 327 Fed/32 H&R, .40 S&W, .44 RIPSAW, .45ACP, .45 Cowboy, .357 SIG and more); Marlin 410 Lever Action Shotgun; Marlin 336 36 RPP (big brother to the 35 Rem); Marlin 336 Ackley Improved and Ackley eXtreme for .308ME handloads (or 7-30 Waters, 38-55, 25-35); Hand-Built 6.5mm Grendel AR-15 Rifle; performance gunsmith services of all kinds from match grade barrel swaps to trigger & action jobs, accurizing, barrel shortening/threading/porting and muzzle brakes along with KG Gun Kote and Duracoat metal coatings and wood refinish work.

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Have you explored micro crystalline aluminum nitride as an interior coating?
    It seems to be the only modification available to increase heat dispersion from within, absent any airflow.
    Virtually weightless and esthetically invisible, much improved wear resistance.
    Ha dilchali- Ayaats'iin

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerPointPrecision View Post
    I've always thought gain twist rifling was a cool idea. No pun intended. It would seem to have more than one advantage, but maybe it's just not cost effective. The only commercial application I'm aware of is the S&W .460. Might be an interesting conversation with my barrel maker next time I'm on the phone with them.
    Hey Adam,

As far as I know, Schuemann still makes .45 acp barrels for the 1911, with "gain twist"?

Later, Mark
    Duty is the sublimest word in the English language. Every man should desire to do his duty, no man should desire to do less. Robert E Lee.

Marlinitis Symptoms: More Daily!

Active rescuer of Marlin Rifles, S&W revolvers, 1911's, Mil/Surplus rifles, shotguns.............

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I like the concept of gain-twist barrels for a couple reasons and also expect that they would heat more evenly and have longer life, but I don't remember them being exactly economically viable.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    When things got hot, the old buffalo hunters would just pee down the bore.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerPointPrecision View Post
    Back when I still worked, the barrels (mostly military) we manufactured had a gain twist; starting with a straight run and becoming faster as it moved down the length. Can't remember for sure, but believe part of the reason for that gain was to help better stabilize a bullet/projectiles designed with "sealing bands" that engaged the rifling; probably to help limit deformation/damage of those bands initially as well? I also recall something about it limiting the potential of what they called "porpoising" (think Dolphin swimming) of the projectile as it moved down the barrel. If still working, I'd ask the design engineers to refresh my memory on all the specific details again, ha!
    Anyway, employing a gain twist in the making/rifling of a barrel didn't add to the cost any, at least not to us, but might depend on the type of equipment or method a given manufacturer may have to use.
    M1Riflenut likes this.
    "Measure twice, cut once"... you can apply that to much in life.

Team 35 rem #483
    Team 30-30 #876
    Team Shotgun #2
    Team 60 (Model 75) #173
    Team 444 #592
    Team Old Pharts #193
    The Marlin League #160
    Team Winchester #36 ~ Team Captain
    Team Rossi #11
    Team BROWNING #1 ~ Team Captain

Join the "Browning Team" ~click here~

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast