+ Reply to Thread

Tenderfoot
    Member #

A Ranch Dog Mold for a .300 Savage??

I have a 1948 EG, in .300 Savage that was passed down to me many years ago. It was bought new by my Uncle, and has taken many Deer, Elk, and Black Bear in the past 60 years.

However, rather than using jacketed bullets I've been using, I thought I might start using some cast bullets. I'm debating buying one of "Ranch Dogs" TLC311-165-RF molds for it. Has anyone here shot their Savage with this bullet yet? If so, I would sure like to know how they preform.

Thanks,

Richard
    Cat, the other white meat!

Site Sponsor/Site Contributor Super Moderator
    Member #

Re: A Ranch Dog Mold for a .300 Savage??

I had a 99 Takedown that was manufactured in 1938 that I sold last year. It had the tightest barrel I've ever seen on a 30 caliber rifle, I don't have the records on it any more but I want to say that it was .306". My best advise would be to slug your barrel with fishing "egg" sinkers and measure them with a micrometer. If you don't have a micrometer, you can take the samples and send me the slugs.

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Hello Michael:

Thank you for the quick response.

Unfortunately, the Savage is at a Smith right now, being rebarreled (long story).

However, the replacement bbl is off a same era mdl 99. So, I will drive over to the gunsmith tomorrow, and slug it. Now would be the perfect time, as it has not been installed yet. I thought someone here might save me a bit of time.

Thanks again,

Richard
    Cat, the other white meat!

ktw
    Tenderfoot
    Member #

I tried the Ranch Dog TLC-311-165 in a Remington Model 81 "Woodsmaster"/300 Savage.

The neck on the cartridge is very short and the bullet has to be seated deep in the case. Without the gas check in the neck, and with the typical rough treatment during chambering in the auto-loader, I found it difficult to get sufficient neck tension on the bullet without losing bullet diameter in the process. With most of the rounds I checked, the bullet was getting pushed deeper in the case on loading.

Sizing it smaller to start with (i.e. .308/.309) might have helped but I gave up on it before getting around to that. I had more important load development projects going on, don't shoot the rifle a lot and decided to just use jacketed bullets in it for the time being. I think a cast bullet for this rifle needs a shorter shank and a more solid bearing surface, at least in an auto-loader. Maybe something along the lines of the ones designed for the 7.62x39.

Love the RD TLC-311-165 in the 30-30.

-ktw

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links