+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sidewinder
    Member #

30 Carbine lever

I've had a bug lately about having a marlin lever made in the wonderful little (and almost useless) 30 carbine caliber. Does anybody have any ideas about how much it would cost to convert a 30-30? Should be able to get a 10 shot out of it.

Would the longer frame present a feeding problem?

No comments about why would anyone do that to a 30-30, please. I don't know why it appeals to me either.

Boom! - plop

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

30 Carbine lever

Ummm... Wouldn't it be more cost effective to simply buy a model 62? Changing the bolt face ain't gonna be cheap! There's some other angles here that could take a long time to work out, too. That said, the round is fun to play around with. SW
    f you got to shoot, Shoot! Don't Talk!

Sidewinder
    Member #

30 Carbine lever

Well, I have to admit that I'd never heard of the Marlin 62. Never knew they offerred anything in the 30. I thought of the winchester 22 pump model 62
    when I read your post and had to go do some research...

So, how do I find one? You're right, it would be easier, though not a traditional lever action style. I get the impression they haven't made one in a while... In fact, only 7,996 were produced in 30 carbine, and none since 1969.

Boom! - plop

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

30 Carbine lever

How to find one? Why, the same way one finds any other out of production firearm... Turn it into a quest!! There's a thread on the collector's forum: Yes you, too can have a Marlin magnet. In that are several tips for finding the older firearms you seek.

You can regularly check the gun auction sites, attend every gun show in your area and post want ads on places like http://www.marlin-collectors.com I have seen these recently offered for prices varying from 275 to 450. While they are nowhere nearly as inexpensive as they once were, this is very much less than what a 336 conversion would set you back.

Some of the more prominent 336 to 30 Carbine issues: As mentioned - bolt face. This will cost quite a bit since the 30 carbine is substantially smaller in the rim than the 30-30. Chambering, headspacing & machining a barrel to the proper dimensions. Sure, the 30-30 barrel is of the proper bore diameter, but it would need to be set back quite a ways, making it necessary to adjust the magazine accordingly. The cartridge carrier would have to be greatly altered for the smaller round, as well. There are several other lesser obstacles to overcome. It is by no means impossible, but you will need long arms & deep pockets.

USGI M1 carbines are becoming very expensive. Universal 30 cal carbines are still out there at a lot less, as are Ruger Blackhawks in 30 cal.
    A major parts vendor ( e-gunparts.com? - can't recall) recently offered 22/30 carbine barrels for M1 & Universal. Now THAT would be a fun project!! Best wishes in finding a model 62!! SW
    f you got to shoot, Shoot! Don't Talk!

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

30 Carbine lever

I have two, send me a PM and I can send you info if you want to buy one. Be advised these are levermatics and only use a 25% throw to lever.
    BOT GBUSA, Charter member team 444.
    Life member NRA, Life member WAC.

Sidewinder
    Member #

30 Carbine lever

I don't understand why whenever the 30US Carbine is mentioned someone
    mentions the Universal comercial version which really isn't that common or for that matter very similar to the original military piece.

The IverJohnson and Plainfield Machine commercial versions OTOH
    are identical to the military firearm ans will accept military components interchangably with their commercial pieces, additionally the I-J and PM carbines are considerably more common than the universal...

AllanD

Gun Wizard
    Member #

30 Carbine lever

I have to say that I would not do a 30 carbine conversion. I am more of a tradiditonalist in these matters. Reloading time is hard to come by and shhoting time is even harder.

For that reason, I would be inclined to think about the 32-20, 32 H&R mag, etc. Always liked the 30 carbine, but other than socializing, can't find a practical use for any of them. I can't think of a hunting application, that I don't have something better for the job.

But just like the Marlins, they a just handy to have around.
    Bestboss
    I have given up reality for Lever actions, Jeeps and have a wife that understands. It's a better world!
    Team 30-30 #236. Team 1894 #187.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

30 Carbine lever

My 62-30carbine is more or less a safe queen, although quite accurate,I can do anything with a 22mag.that I would attempt with it.And surplus ammo is not nearly as plentifull as it once was.I will add that I love my levermatics but prefer the look and feel of a 336 or 1894.

Tinhorn
    Member #

30 Carbine lever

I have not heard of the model 62 either so I did a little research and found this.

thought I would share

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/malloy.htm

Cowpoke
    Member #

30 Carbine lever

Is it ballistically feasable to use a 30 carbine for hunting? I've not had that privledge to go out and do that with one. I've had both model 62's, (256 & 30 carbine) but never really hunted with either of them. They were pretty much as mudpuppy put it, closet queens. :?:

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links