+ Reply to Thread

Wrangler
    Member #

Is Pentax a good scope???

Hello All, I have been searching the forum for pentax scopes to no avail although I only searched the first 7-8 pages. I have seen pentax scopes at academy sports reasonably prices and even considered buying one but just don't know how good they are...I have a Nikon and Burris timberline mounted on a couple leveractions and would definately buy another of those two brands mentioned again. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with the pentax brand and what is the quality...?
    "One shot One kill"
    Team 45-70 #27
    Team 30-30 #105
    Team 1894 #36

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Re: Is Pentax a good scope???

I lost my scope info when my computer got a virus. But if memory serves, there was never a Pentax made scope

The top of the line Pentax was/is a re-badged Burris Black Diamond
    The Black Diamond is an outstanding scope and better than Leuopold in some respect

Their second highest quality scope is a Burris(Fullfield II?) thatís made in the Philippines
    Burris is one of the few companies that actually built a real facility to build their scopes and not just sub-contracted to a Philippian scope maker
    Your Timberline was made in the Philippines

Pentaxís lower quality scopes are standard Chinese scopes with the usual quality

To answer your question, it depends on who actually made the Pentax youíre looking to buy

Personally, Iíd just buy a Burris

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Not sure about your info on Pentax never making a scope but a buddy of mine said he has several rifles with pentax scopes on them and really likes them. It's odd because he is a self admitted "optics snob". I've not seen the scopes myself but we talk guns and hunting stuff at work for hours on end. He claims they are better than his Leupolds and cost a lot less. The model I recall him mentioning is "Lightseeker" I believe. I've been meaning to look them up myself as I need a new scope for a rifle I just got.
    Thoughts on Remlins: The day I walk into a sporting goods and honestly mistake a Remlin gun for a JM gun, THAT will be the day I think about buying one. Until then, they can keep 'em.

Words to live by: Just because something is primitive, doesn't mean it has to be crude. Just because something is custom, doesn't mean it's quality.

Gun Wizard
    Member #

After typing my above reply, I went to google and typed in Pentax lightseeker and got a bunch of hits so they definitely did make scopes and apparently still do. Prices I saw at a glance ranged from $249 to $569.
    Thoughts on Remlins: The day I walk into a sporting goods and honestly mistake a Remlin gun for a JM gun, THAT will be the day I think about buying one. Until then, they can keep 'em.

Words to live by: Just because something is primitive, doesn't mean it has to be crude. Just because something is custom, doesn't mean it's quality.

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Burris uses glass made from a number manufacturers
    Burris does uses Pentax glass to build Pentax scopes in the Burris factory in Greely Colorado
    Pentax does not build scopes

Sidewinder
    Member #

Pentax has sold several models of scopes over the years.

The top of the line Japanese made models are called LightSeeker.
    Next model down are called Pioneer which is basically a Burris FFII, both of which are made overseas
    Cheapest model is called Gameseeker made in China

I've had a few Pentax scopes over the years and never was impressed with any model.

Wrangler
    Member #

Thank you for the reponces, I have a burris and a nikon scope and will probably will just stick with those brands as from what i've experienced they are great scopes...I was just wondering about the pentax scopes... Thanks again.
    "One shot One kill"
    Team 45-70 #27
    Team 30-30 #105
    Team 1894 #36

IMR
    Deadeye
    Member #

I've got a Pentax Lightseeker SG Plus 2.5 X 25
    It's a shotgun scope with 3 3/4 eye relief. It is very clear, and gathers light well in lowlight conditions.

I bought it from a friend for $60.00 - I later found they retail for around $250.00

My Pentax reads, Made in the USA.
    Team 30-30 #52
    Team 35 #344
    Team 45/70 #207

Tinhorn
    Member #

The Pentax Pioneer was made by Burris and is more or less a Fullfield II. I have 4 or 5, great scope. The new Pioneer II is made in China and I have not seen one.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links