+ Reply to Thread

Tinhorn
    Member #

Leupold Scout FXII 2.5x28 Scope Sight in Distance?

Hi All,

I was sighting in my New SBL and Leupold Scout FXII 2.5x28 Scope. At first I sighted it in at 25 yards, after a boresighting... I really didn't do the math for adjustments, (1/4 MOA at 100) it was about 6" low, windage was good. So I kept adjusting it to get it to center. But it would have been about 96 clicks up at that yardage to get it to center, from my initial shot.

So after about 9 rounds of Hornaday Leverevolution 45/70 325Gr., and close to zero at 25 yards. I decided to switch up to 50 Yards and I have to say that it was difficult for me to stay on center with 2.5 power, I fnally got it close to zero, but I'm still not real happy with it, I also do seem to see some parallax that I can see...

So I am wondering, those with the same scope, what distance do you sight in and use your Leupold Scout Scope set up? How many yards do you feel it is accurate to? I am used to shooting 3-9 or greater power scopes, which are better for the higher ranges. Is it just my middle aged eyes?

Thank you in advance.

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Re: Leupold Scout FXII 2.5x28 Scope Sight in Distance?

I've been using a variety of Leupold, Weaver & Redfield low-powered scopes for a while but decided to try the FXII on my 336. It is not a target scope but seems accurate enough for deer hunting and I just bought another for my 1894. As long as I can hit a pie plate at 100 yards shooting offhand I'm happy with it.
    Blessed are the flexible for they shall not be bent out of shape.

Team 35 Remington Co-Capt'n Contributing Member
    Member #

It takes about 16 clicks to move 1" at 25 yards, that's what a lot of people at the range fail to realize. I see them shoot at 25 yards them move a few clicks, shoot again, etc. Pretty soon they have shot a whole box of ammo and still aren't zeroed at 25 yards.

2.5X would be way too low for me to shoot accurately at targets past 50 yards. I would have no problem taking a deer farther than that, but for precision sight-in I use 6 or 7X at 50 yards, and 7 - 9X at 100, depending on my scope. That's why I don't have any straight 4X scopes on my deer rifles.
    The Older I Get...The Better I was...
    Team 444 Member #175
    Team 35 Member #2
    Team 39 Member #10
    Marlin League #26
    338 MX...It's not your father's lever action!

Cowpoke
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Halwg
    It takes about 16 clicks to move 1" at 25 yards, that's what a lot of people at the range fail to realize. I see them shoot at 25 yards them move a few clicks, shoot again, etc. Pretty soon they have shot a whole box of ammo and still aren't zeroed at 25 yards.

2.5X would be way too low for me to shoot accurately at targets past 50 yards. I would have no problem taking a deer farther than that, but for precision sight-in I use 6 or 7X at 50 yards, and 7 - 9X at 100, depending on my scope. That's why I don't have any straight 4X scopes on my deer rifles.
    That's interesting. I find that high power seems to magnify any tremors too. I normally use no more than 4X at 50yds and seldom over 7 or so at 100 yds, no matter what the highest setting is. With a quality, clear scope, I can shoot groups just as good with 4-6X as with 9X at 100yds. I have shot some excellent groups, way under MOA, at 100yds using a straight 4X scope. I feel magnification for a scope used for big game hunting is perhaps overemphasized. I do not believe, after reading 5 or 6 of his books, that the great Jack O'Connor ever used a scope over 4X for big game hunting.

Gun Wizard
    Member #

I just got my FXII 2.5X Ultralight today; now just waiting on my 416 Rigby barrel. I'll zero it at 100yds. I had a 2.5 FXII on my I'll fated 1894SS and never felt it was a problem to use at 100yds. (the rifle - now that was a different story )
    Team444 #228

Team 45-70 Big Buck Contest Winner 2013
    Member #

I sight in at 50 yards. With a big old circle. I have taken deer at 130 yards,

Now take that gun to a small hill and roll a hoop, ball, trashcan lid ect down the hill and see how easy it is to hit it moving, Do that with a 9 power scope. The scout scope is not for groups, It is for fast shot at targets.

Tinhorn
    Member #

Thank you guys for all your advice... I agree it's meant to be a shoot'em as you point scope...

I think my 50 Yard sight in is fine... I hog hunt and most shots are well under 75 yards.. I just want to shoot it more to feel more comfortable with it...

It's a great perspective you guys put on it, Thank you...

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links