+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By onehandgunner

Thread: Shotgun / Black powder scopes

Sidewinder
    Member #

Shotgun / Black powder scopes

What is the difference between a CENTER FIRE scope and a SHOTGUN scope? I want, I think , to put a scope on my 336 35 Rem. I want 4 power or less but not a variable. The shotgun scopes seem interesting. Any one use a shotgun scope ? Thanks, Jerry

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Typically, it has to do with the parallax setting. A centerfire rifle scope would have the parallax set at about 100 yards (brands differ?). A shotgun scope would have the parallax set at about 50 yards. Also, there are sometimes differences in the reticles.

I have a 2.5 power on my 336 30-30 and love it but it's a bit different being a scout scope.

Leupold FX-II 2.5x20mm Ultra-Light Rifle Scope is what you might want to look at.
    John

Team Old Phart #86
    Team 39 #61
    Team 30-30 #95
    Team 1894 #121

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Thank you Tatersoup, I am a handgunner, I know nothing about scopes. Parallax, what's that ? I looked at Graf's site and also Leupold's site they are a tad spendy but they are good no doubt. My lgs has some Weavers 3 to 9 and some other brand I have never heard of. Not sure what I will do but this gives me something to work with. Thanks.

Cowpoke
    Member #
    Parallax is the adjustment made to a scope that makes the POA coincide with the centered reticle. At other, varying distances, the reticle can move about a bit, as you move your head (eye) behind the scope. Parallax is not a big issue in big game hunting, especially if you practice enough to use the same head position on all shots. Parallax is adjusted to one certain distance exactly in a scope and as Tatersoup mentioned is at a shorter distance with a SG or M/L scope (as well as a rimfire scope) and at typically longer ranges for scopes made for high-powered rifles.

The Leupold 2.5X that he mentioned is indeed a great scope and I would also recommend the VX1 or VX2 1-4x20 low powered variable as an alternative. I believe 2.5X is enough for typical hunting with a .35R, but in some situations 4X might be more useful for sighting in at 100 or 100+ yards and with shots of 200 yards or so. For me, a higher powered variable like a 3-9x40 (as an example) is larger than is needed on a .35R and brings nothing more useful to the table vs a quality low power fixed or variable scope. Of course YMMV, as the saying goes!

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I wonder what Daniel Boone would say about all this stuff ? I looked up parallax and did extensive reading, I am now qualified to analyze "GREEK MUD" . My shots will be 100 yds (+-) or less more on the less. A fixed power of 2.5 to 4 is what I want. Thanks guys, I am going to do some shopping here soon.
    336ER likes this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links