+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Anyone shooting a .22 Hornet Handi?

Contributing Member
    Member #

Anyone shooting a .22 Hornet Handi?

I have really considered hard about getting one of these-but not very familiar with the rifles versus the shotguns. I think it would be a suitable caliber for the areas I have access to hunt, being 150 yards is a longer shot, typically around 100 yards. Looking at using it for groundhogs, crows and Coyotes. Would like to hear any experiences or opinions, what scope setup you have, you name it.
    Thanks
    Ron

Tinhorn
    Member #
    I have a Ruger K77/22-VHZ. It wasn't too accurate out of the box. Sent it away to a fellow who stiffened the bolt, redid the chamber to minimum demensions, and redid the crown. I redid the trigger. Now it is a tack driver. Hogdon Lil-gun, works really well in the Hornet. High velocity with low pressure. Not sure how they make it do that, but it is good stuff. I shoot the 45gr. Speer soft point. Wacks ground hogs really hard. Low noise is good for built up areas.
    wlambert
    NRA Benefactor, Certified Instructor & Range Officer

Contributing Member
    Member #
    wlambert-I had heard of accuracy issues to some degree with the Ruger, neat little rifles. Looking at the H&R-NEF Handi-rifle as it seems to be a reasonable cost (have found one at a LGS for about $250, synthetic stock). I feel it would be great for where I hunt. Trying to trade a TC Encore barrel for a 22 hornet with not much luck so far.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    Ron -

I've never tried it in a Handi, but my favorite 22Hornet Varmint load out of a Savage 340 is 12gr of LilGun under a 34gr Hollowpoint using standard pistol primers (only because I didn't have any Sm Rifle Primers available at the time). Out of the Savage it shot half inch 100meter groups at 2960FPS. Many raccoons raiding the feed troughs have met their demise "Dead right there" with a head shot from it.

-Tim

Member #
    I've had a Hornet Handi for several years, it will put ten Lil'gun charged 35gr Vmaxes into an inch at 100yds with most inside " on my good days.

Tim
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" - Mark Twain

H&R Centerfire Rifle Forum

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by stonecoldy View Post
    wlambert-I had heard of accuracy issues to some degree with the Ruger, neat little rifles. Looking at the H&R-NEF Handi-rifle as it seems to be a reasonable cost (have found one at a LGS for about $250, synthetic stock). I feel it would be great for where I hunt. Trying to trade a TC Encore barrel for a 22 hornet with not much luck so far.
    I looked at the Ruger site after I made that post. Instant sticker shock. I bought the rifle several years ago new, and I think it was several hundred dollars less back then. The gunsmith work was done by Connecticut Precission Chambering, L.L.C.. www.ct-precission.com. I debated about going to K-Hornet but didn't. The final result was a nice accurate little rifle.

I have always been a Speer bullet fan, but I was very disapointed with the loads in the Speer manual. I guess there have been issues with 2400, and the loads were really anemic. Not a lot better than a .22 mag. Then I found Lil-gun. I understand it was designed for the .410 shotgun, but it works really well in the Hornet. I actually had to load a little over the recomended max to get enough pressure to consistently seal the case necks.
    wlambert
    NRA Benefactor, Certified Instructor & Range Officer

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I appreciate all of the responses for the .22 Hornet. No bonus for work this year (at least I have my job though), but after a couple consignment guns sell, think I will get the H&R Handi and give it a try.
    Merry Christmas everyone to you and yours.
    Ron

Member #
    Stonecoldy - I have a post on page 3 of this site showing my 22 Hornet, and a target. I have yet to figure out how to post pictures on this new web page format.
    I really like my hornet and it does all I want for ranges out to 125-140 yards. May put a larger scope on it (2x7 or 3x9) this coming spring, depending on how much money the IRS takes from me. Shenandoah
    All our life we trade our time for money, hoping to make enough money to do what we dream of, before we run out of time.

Never remove a fence without first learning why the fence was put up in the first place.

US Army (Ret)

Member HYPHEN-ATED GANG (Cal 32-40)
    Team 30-30 - member 399
    Sharps (No Team) 1874, 40-65 Win
    Team Old Pharts - member XXIV

Member #
    I have two Handis in Hornet one blue and one electroless nickel, both shoot about 1 inch using a number of loads, never got any sub 0ne inch groups. Lil Gun is the best powder. Both handis have been used to harvest deer. I live in an urban setting with homes on two sides of my property and the low noise factor with neck or head shots at 80 yards or less is the reason for using the Hornet.
    scopes are 1/12 x 5 and 3x9. I prefer the lower power for shots at Hornet range.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Well, I got my .22 hornet last night, have a mount coming and need to pick up a scope for it (figuring on trying a 3X9). I'll report back once I shoot it, having picked up some factory ammo in a trade.
    Fortunately for me (and not so for my wallet) a 1980 336 Texan in .30-30 was also there, nice looking, kept the Handi company for the ride home from the gun store. Funny how that happens.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links