+ Reply to Thread

Tenderfoot
    Member #

H&R Handi-Rifle Trigger Job

I have a .243 Win H&R SB2. I've seen people on this site and others talking about H&R performing a free trigger job to get the pull down to the 3-3.5 lb range. Can someone tell me if I can get this work done? I've not seen anything on the H&R website about this.

The reason I ask is last weekend, I went to the range and shot 3, 5-shot groups. The groups were strung vertically across 8 inches at 100 yards. Horizontally, the shots were within a 1-2 inch spread. I've noticed my rifle seems to have a heavy trigger (not measured it) and feel that this could be one reason for the vertical stringing. Any advice on how to get the free trigger job performed would be much appreciated.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Re: H&R Handi-Rifle Trigger Job

See the Ilion trigger policy in the FAQs and Help sticky in the H&R forum in my signature line below, most owners have the trigger job done while having accessory barrels fitted, but you can also just have the trigger done, follow the instructions for repair and send it to Ilion NY, not one of their repair centers, it won't be free if the trigger is under 5lbs now, and you have to pay all shipping.

Also read the Handi Basics 101 sticky in the H&R forum, oil on the latch or shelf will cause poor lock up and vertical stringing, they need to be clean and dry, not closing the action firmly will do the same, there's a warning in the owner's manual on this. You'll may find the forend needs work to eliminate the vertical stringing too, also be aware that if your 243 is a 20" Superlight model, shooting it hot will not provide good accuracy without forend work, I have several Superlights, best accuracy comes with the first two shots touching, then the third is always a high flyer and it gets worse from then on as the barrel gets hotter. H&R's accuracy standard is 2" or less 3-shot 100yd groups with factory ammo, if it won't do that, you may be able to get it repaired and have the trigger job done for free while it's there for repair, they may even provide a free shipping label if you ask up front.

Tim
    "Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" - Mark Twain

H&R Centerfire Rifle Forum

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Re: H&R Handi-Rifle Trigger Job

Ok. Thanks.

Tenderfoot
    southern california in the high desert between temecula and palm springs
    Member #
    FWIW...a 3-4 lb trigger is usually pretty darn good for a hunting/plinking rifle.

once you get down around that 3 lb, and lower, trigger, things can become, shall we say, 'Touchy'...

good thorough cleaning and proper lube (if acceptable by manufacture) can sometimes lower the pull by 1/2 lb or so.

i "Got lucky" on my Marlin 1894...it came from the factory with a 2.75lb trigger...

the NEF/H&R factory used to, in the past, do 'trigger work'. i had it done of three of my NEF rifles; i don't know if they still do, or not.
    Last edited by donwI; 11-23-2011 at 03:55 PM.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    Read my last reply, that's H&R's current policy in Ilion NY.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by quickdtoo View Post
    See the Ilion trigger policy in the FAQs and Help sticky in the H&R forum in my signature line below, most owners have the trigger job done while having accessory barrels fitted, but you can also just have the trigger done, follow the instructions for repair and send it to Ilion NY, not one of their repair centers, it won't be free if the trigger is under 5lbs now, and you have to pay all shipping.
    "Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" - Mark Twain

H&R Centerfire Rifle Forum

6. 09-03-2014, 06:40 AM

Banned

Reason
    Spam and/or unwanted content

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links