+ Reply to Thread

Sidewinder
    Member #

My Handi Rifle Problem

Recently I bought a new Talo Handi Rifle Trapper in 44 mag. I hunt in a ground blind where shots on deer are mostly under 100 yds. My thinking is this 18 1/2" barrel is just the ticket to slip out the window with a limited amount of noise. I've taken a few deer with my 1894 Marlin and I know it is more than enough cartridge out to 100 yds.

I installed a 4x Leupold in Leupold PRW rings on a Handi Rifle factory base. I always use Gun-Tite on the base screws regardless of caliber. On my first trip to the range this spring I had problems. The first shot out of a cold barrel in a 5 shot string goes 4-5 inches high. The next 4 shots group in a neat cluster of 1 - 1 1/2" at 25 yards but as previously stated 4-5" low. This happened on the 3 five shot groups I shot that day. My thinking at the time was the horizontal crosshair was floating and allowing this to occur but after the recoil of the first shot it settled back in. I replaced the scope with a new Leupold 1x4 shotgun scope and removed then reattached the same scope base.

The other day I tried shooting the 44 Handi Rifle and it did the same thing with the new scope. It did the same thing with 2 different 240gr. loads at 50 yds. on both 3 shot groups I fired. The new scope and remounting should have eliminated any problems in the sight factor.

In 40 years of shooting I have seen a few problems but never something like this. I have seen bedding problems spray bullets all over the target. Why it settles down and shoots a group after the first shot has me wondering. Can forearm bedding solve this problem? I sure would like to get this rifle tuned up and reliable before deer season this coming November. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thx

Team Old Phart #70
    Team 32 Special #54
    Team 1894 #127
    Team 39 #148
    Team 45/70 #846

Sidewinder
    Member #

Re: My Handi Rifle Problem

If you're cleaning the barrel, stop. Things will get better.

Sidewinder
    Member #

I cleaned it after the first event with the 4x scope. I had probably fired 40 rds that day and I realised I was going to have a project getting solving this rifle. Once I get a rifle sighted in I will not clean it until after hunting season in January. I fired about 7-9 shots at 25 yards to get it close the other day. I was paying attention more to adjusting the scope than groups at 25 yds. I figure the new scope had solved the original problem. When I moved to 50 to sight it the first shot was high. Second shot was 5" lower followed by another which cut the same hole as the second bullet. I let the barrel cool off. When I shot my second group at 50 the first shot went high and the next 4 went 5" lower into the same cluster. Why the first shot is so high is my problem. It has happened on the last 5 groups I have shot. This kind of performance is unusable in a deer rifle.
    Team Old Phart #70
    Team 32 Special #54
    Team 1894 #127
    Team 39 #148
    Team 45/70 #846

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

See the Handi Basics 101 sticky in the H&R link in my signature line below, shooting it without the forend will tell you if forend fit is the problem, it's probably too tight, if it's consistent without the forend, adjust the fit with the forend fit tips in the accurizing section of the FAQs sticky.

Tim
    "Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" - Mark Twain

H&R Centerfire Rifle Forum

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links