+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mad Dog

Thread: Handi-Rifle vs CVA Scout

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Handi-Rifle vs CVA Scout

Quick question. I am looking into a single shot .223 and I cant decide what I would rather buy. They only handi-rifle I can get my hands on at the moment is a combo with a heavy barrel and a scope with it, and its a camo stock from Dicks Sporting Goods for $299. I also have been looking at a CVA Scout stainless in .223 and was just wondering if anyone knew how the 2 compared. The CVA is $249 right now so I am trying to figure out which one is the best bang for the buck. Any input would be much appreciated.

Happy 4th everyone!

Wrangler
    Member #

Re: Handi-Rifle vs CVA Scout

A friend of mine bought a handi rifle in 223 with a heavy barrel from Dick's in March of this year. We tried every type of ammo that we could get our hands on and I worked on the hammer/trigger for a lighter pull. The best group we were able to acheive was a 1.5inch at 100yds after all this work. I know for a fact that a handi is able to do much better that this. My friend contacted H and R about this issue and they told him to send it back. After 6 weeks the rifle returned and all they did was re-crown the barrel and they did not re blue it. The rifle shoots much better now. It seems to like the winchester 45 grn bulk pack that wal-mart sells. he also added a rubber o-ring between the forend and barrel. These rifles are like any other gun...you might get a good one or you might get one like my friends and need some work to make it a shooter. If you decide to purchase a Handi rifle check out www.graybeardoutdoors.com they have alot of good info on handi's. This is where I found info on how to work the trigger and hammer assembly. hope this helps
    The early bird gets the worm. But the second mouse gets the cheese!
    The grass is greener on the other side because it's been fertilized with BS!

Deadeye
    Member #

I fully researched this CVA rifle. I would say that, for the money, it looks good; with one exception: There is no barrel exchange program on this one. Just a stock change program. To me, that's HUGE!
    I own a Handi that I originally purchased with a 35 Whelen. After having it for a few months, I ordered two more barrels; one is a 243 Bull and the other is a 22-250.
    I think this is a valuable option. Three rifles for about $400.
    Something to think about.

Tenderfoot
    Member #

The barrell change is a plus for sure. What kind of accuracy could I reasonably expect from the handi rifles in say a 223 or a 243?

Deadeye
    Member #

I haven't spent enough time to report anything on my 22-250. But I expect great things.
    My 243 is sub M.O.A. @100 Yards.
    My Whelen will do 1 inch @ 100 yds all day long.
    I have used the 243 and the 35 Whelen to hit targets @ 700 yards. Once you get your range down. It's easy/fun shooting.
    My Handi's are the most accurate rifles I own.
    I'm sure that the CVA would be similar. But the barrel program is an extremely valuable part of the package.
    If you're a shooter/collector of sorts, you WILL use the barrel program.
    Bill

Sidewinder
    Member #

SDPrice , Should your 223 be of current production then you will end up with a 1in9 twist on that front and should you be a heavy for caliber guy like myself then you will have a good rang eto play with as far as weight goes on the projectile end of things, I just mentioned on another thread for a member to give the 75 gr Hornady TAP ammo a try in his 223, it was .5" and better @ 100 for me and that was with a 223 barrel shimmed to my 357 mags reciever ~! CAUTION!~ that 357 mags reciever was an older SB2 not the current SB1 production 357 mag combo reciever ~! END OF CAUTION!~ and it did quite well by me and my other halve ashunting load against Rams and 250+ lb. Hawgs

The 243 superlight I have for my nephew is a 1.5-2" grouper @ 100 with factory 100gr Win & Fed and it had absolutely ZERO issues singing a 150 lb Barbado Ram a lullaby I have not gone buck wild with that rifle on the reloading front to see what the best accuracy I can muster out of it , But it wasnt bought as my first hunting rig , that I leave to my nephew as he grows more and more towards being a man
    The Quickest Way To Enslave A People Is To Disarm Them ~ George Mason

444 member # 307

Tinhorn
    Member #

The CVA is more quality although it is higher priced. It comes with a fluted barrel and true glow sights to name a couple. ; I have 2 CVa 243s and 1 HR in 223.

Deadeye
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by USA-ONE
    The CVA is more quality although it is higher priced. It comes with a fluted barrel and true glow sights to name a couple. ; I have 2 CVa 243s and 1 HR in 223.
    I hear the claim to quality. How about a for instance? You mention more stuff on it. More stuff doesn't mean more quality. It just means more stuff.

Gunfighter
    Member #

Well, my son has a 44 mag handi, that he bought in 2008. To date, it has killed 10 deer, including one I shot with it, last weekend. I had issues with my Marlin 1894, 44 mag[whole nother story], and sold it. I was looking for a different 44 mag to hunt with, here in Indiana for next yrs. firearms season. I handled a H&R 44 mag trapper, a new SB-1 H&R handi synthetic, and a CVA scout. The stock on the synthetic handi, just flat out didn't fit. I got 1 shop to drop the price on the Scout to what another shop wanted for the trapper[$300], so I bought it. The stock fit perfect, and I liked the setup. I was over at gbo's website and did some pming to a guy who bought one, and some other gents. Well, long story short, I bought the Scout, and mounted a 4x leupold on board. I haven't had a chance to shoot it, yet, but if it's as accurate as a couple of CVA muzzleloaders that I've had, I'll be a happy camper. Here is a pic.

Mad Dog
    Roycemclean likes this.

Gunfighter
    Member #

I forgot to mention, that the rifle comes with a 1-20" twist barrel. This should greatly help it in the accuracy dept. vs. the handi 44 mags with their 1-38" twist.

Mad Dog

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links