+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mad Dog

Thread: Handi-Rifle vs CVA Scout

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Handi-Rifle vs CVA Scout

Quick question. I am looking into a single shot .223 and I cant decide what I would rather buy. They only handi-rifle I can get my hands on at the moment is a combo with a heavy barrel and a scope with it, and its a camo stock from Dicks Sporting Goods for $299. I also have been looking at a CVA Scout stainless in .223 and was just wondering if anyone knew how the 2 compared. The CVA is $249 right now so I am trying to figure out which one is the best bang for the buck. Any input would be much appreciated.

Happy 4th everyone!

Wrangler
    Member #

Re: Handi-Rifle vs CVA Scout

A friend of mine bought a handi rifle in 223 with a heavy barrel from Dick's in March of this year. We tried every type of ammo that we could get our hands on and I worked on the hammer/trigger for a lighter pull. The best group we were able to acheive was a 1.5inch at 100yds after all this work. I know for a fact that a handi is able to do much better that this. My friend contacted H and R about this issue and they told him to send it back. After 6 weeks the rifle returned and all they did was re-crown the barrel and they did not re blue it. The rifle shoots much better now. It seems to like the winchester 45 grn bulk pack that wal-mart sells. he also added a rubber o-ring between the forend and barrel. These rifles are like any other gun...you might get a good one or you might get one like my friends and need some work to make it a shooter. If you decide to purchase a Handi rifle check out www.graybeardoutdoors.com they have alot of good info on handi's. This is where I found info on how to work the trigger and hammer assembly. hope this helps
    The early bird gets the worm. But the second mouse gets the cheese!

Deadeye
    Member #

I fully researched this CVA rifle. I would say that, for the money, it looks good; with one exception: There is no barrel exchange program on this one. Just a stock change program. To me, that's HUGE!
    I own a Handi that I originally purchased with a 35 Whelen. After having it for a few months, I ordered two more barrels; one is a 243 Bull and the other is a 22-250.
    I think this is a valuable option. Three rifles for about $400.
    Something to think about.

Tenderfoot
    Member #

The barrell change is a plus for sure. What kind of accuracy could I reasonably expect from the handi rifles in say a 223 or a 243?

Deadeye
    Member #

I haven't spent enough time to report anything on my 22-250. But I expect great things.
    My 243 is sub M.O.A. @100 Yards.
    My Whelen will do 1 inch @ 100 yds all day long.
    I have used the 243 and the 35 Whelen to hit targets @ 700 yards. Once you get your range down. It's easy/fun shooting.
    My Handi's are the most accurate rifles I own.
    I'm sure that the CVA would be similar. But the barrel program is an extremely valuable part of the package.
    If you're a shooter/collector of sorts, you WILL use the barrel program.
    Bill

Sidewinder
    Member #

SDPrice , Should your 223 be of current production then you will end up with a 1in9 twist on that front and should you be a heavy for caliber guy like myself then you will have a good rang eto play with as far as weight goes on the projectile end of things, I just mentioned on another thread for a member to give the 75 gr Hornady TAP ammo a try in his 223, it was .5" and better @ 100 for me and that was with a 223 barrel shimmed to my 357 mags reciever ~! CAUTION!~ that 357 mags reciever was an older SB2 not the current SB1 production 357 mag combo reciever ~! END OF CAUTION!~ and it did quite well by me and my other halve ashunting load against Rams and 250+ lb. Hawgs

The 243 superlight I have for my nephew is a 1.5-2" grouper @ 100 with factory 100gr Win & Fed and it had absolutely ZERO issues singing a 150 lb Barbado Ram a lullaby I have not gone buck wild with that rifle on the reloading front to see what the best accuracy I can muster out of it , But it wasnt bought as my first hunting rig , that I leave to my nephew as he grows more and more towards being a man
    The Quickest Way To Enslave A People Is To Disarm Them ~ George Mason

444 member # 307

Tinhorn
    Member #

The CVA is more quality although it is higher priced. It comes with a fluted barrel and true glow sights to name a couple. ; I have 2 CVa 243s and 1 HR in 223.

Deadeye
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by USA-ONE
    The CVA is more quality although it is higher priced. It comes with a fluted barrel and true glow sights to name a couple. ; I have 2 CVa 243s and 1 HR in 223.
    I hear the claim to quality. How about a for instance? You mention more stuff on it. More stuff doesn't mean more quality. It just means more stuff.

Gunfighter
    Member #

Well, my son has a 44 mag handi, that he bought in 2008. To date, it has killed 10 deer, including one I shot with it, last weekend. I had issues with my Marlin 1894, 44 mag[whole nother story], and sold it. I was looking for a different 44 mag to hunt with, here in Indiana for next yrs. firearms season. I handled a H&R 44 mag trapper, a new SB-1 H&R handi synthetic, and a CVA scout. The stock on the synthetic handi, just flat out didn't fit. I got 1 shop to drop the price on the Scout to what another shop wanted for the trapper[$300], so I bought it. The stock fit perfect, and I liked the setup. I was over at gbo's website and did some pming to a guy who bought one, and some other gents. Well, long story short, I bought the Scout, and mounted a 4x leupold on board. I haven't had a chance to shoot it, yet, but if it's as accurate as a couple of CVA muzzleloaders that I've had, I'll be a happy camper. Here is a pic.

Mad Dog
    Roycemclean likes this.

Gunfighter
    Member #

I forgot to mention, that the rifle comes with a 1-20" twist barrel. This should greatly help it in the accuracy dept. vs. the handi 44 mags with their 1-38" twist.

Mad Dog

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links