Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Reloading the .243 Handi for the Granddaughter

5K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  VTDW 
#1 ·
I recently bought a youth model NEF .243 Handi Rifle. The barrel is freefloated and an o=ring between the forestock and forestock screw block. This is for the 10 year old granddaughter. She has progressed very nicely from a pellet gun to a Henry Lever Action .22 (she can shoot squirrels with it) and is now ready to step up in power.

I have the .243 dies but cannot figure what grain bullet and load to start her with as she says she wants to try for a deer this year. I have super cleaned the barrel but have found that none of the factory stuff I have bought (7 brands/bullet weights) shoot quite well enough for me at 100 yd. but I am very anal. :wink:

I already reload for the .35 Rem, .444 Marlin and .44 Mag.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tnx,

Dave 8)

#4 ·
Dave, did ya ever track down Howard NZ's posts at GBO? If not, here tis, he's shooting a .243 Superlight, gets good accuracy from it which ain't easy to do.

http://www.graybeardoutdoors.com/smf/index.php/topic,69409.msg424720.html#msg424720

H1000 is an equivilent to AR2217, since ADI makes most of Hodgdon's powder and Hodgdon's data shows identical load data for H1000 in the .243, I wouldn't hesitate using Hodgdon's data and Howard's load of 45.5gr of H1000 and the 95gr SST, although the recoil of the 95gr might be a bit much for a 10yr old, dunno. Maybe a little padding on the comb will help a bit with the felt recoil for her as well as some weight in the stock at least for bench work.

Good luck with that superlight, yer probably gonna earn your beans working with it!! :lol:

Tim

http://www.adi-limited.com/handloaders-guide/rifle.asp

EDIT: A little typo, fixed it in bold! :oops:

#5 ·
:lol: :lol: quickdtoo :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the info and link. I will check it out very thoroughly.

You are correct in that the barrel is very light and temp sensitive but I am persistent. :wink:

Dave 8)

#9 ·
i agreee with the last 2 post low recoil ammo is nice for young ones. But I think a premium boolit would better serve your situation. Im not usualy an advocate of premiums on deer size game but if these light 243 boolits hit solid bone most bets are off as to weahter u recover the deer. the nosler line has some nice penitraters even in the 6mm area. Id hate to here she lost her first deer.

just my 2 cents. 8)

#10 ·
Re-loading the 243 Handi for the grandaughter

My 243 handi is free floated with an o ring but in order to get it to shoot some what accurately off the bench I have to locate the sand bag behind the forestock. I load 85 gr sierra hpbt but I think I would go to 85 gr nosler part. for deer. Just my two cents.

#11 ·
Thanks guys. The granddaughter tells me she might not be up to shooting Bambi but will have no problem with hawgs. :lol: We shall see as she is such a sweetheart. I must be very careful with her. Grandchildren are soooooo special.

Dave 8)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.