Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Silhouette in Washington State

3K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  caseyboy 
#1 ·
Hi All,
New to the forum. I am interested in finding places where to shoot the Lever Action Silhouette in Washington State. I am in Victoria, BC and am willing to drive a bit. Currently I have a 30-30 amd a 22 so I could shoot the smallbore and the CLA.
Cheers,
Mike

#3 ·
There should be some Rifle caliber matches in Custer this spring. I'm not sure when / if the Seattle Rifle and Pistol club (Machias) will resume but they have an excellent small bore and pistol caliber match. Tonasket has monthly matches but it would be quite a romp.

How hard is it to cross the border with a rifle?

#4 ·
Hi Wet Dog,
Thanks for the info. I believe you have a youtube vid of you shooting a 38-55 at Custer if I am not mistaken. To cross the border with a rifle, all I need is the permit from the BATF which is straight forward to get. Takes a few weeks. I have been down to Pe'ell a few times for smallbore and high power silhouette.

#5 ·
Hey there Casey Boy,
Yup Wet Dog is correct, just to add to what he said, Custer has Lever Action Center Fire Matches about once per month, spring - fall custer sportsmens club The first Lever action center fire match is April 12th. There is at least one other shooter, fella named George from your area that comes down pretty regular. Custer does not have a .22 silhouette match anymore, due to lack of participation. It would be nice if we could get enough shooters to change that.
Look forward to meeting you if you come down to shoot. Ron

#6 ·
Hey Ron,
I am tied up until the summer, but would definitely like to make to at least one match. What is the match format? One 40 shot? One 60 shot or two 40s? I would also need to get a written invite from the club to get my BATF paperwork. I shoot a pre 64 Win 30-30. I hope you Marlin fellers will still talk to me. :biggrin:

#13 ·
Hey Ron,
I am tied up until the summer, but would definitely like to make to at least one match. What is the match format? One 40 shot? One 60 shot or two 40s? I would also need to get a written invite from the club to get my BATF paperwork. I shoot a pre 64 Win 30-30. I hope you Marlin fellers will still talk to me. :biggrin:
No "invite" needed by a Canadian anymore to get your form 6 approved. Some one in the US DOJ re-read the legislation and came to the conclusion that a Canadian doesn't need a "visa" to enter the US for short term visits. Only people from a "visa required to enter" nation still require the "invite".

It might speed up the form 6 approval process for you, However be aware that some of the boys heading south for shoots are reporting that some of the actual border crossing guards are not all up to speed on the changes and are still asking for "invites". While not needed at application time, it would be a good idea to eventually get the invite just to escape the hassle at the border.

#7 ·
Sorry Caseyboy,
I just now checked this thread and seen your post. I will try and figure out how the letter gets sent and get back to you. Normally we shoot one 40 round match in the morning and its is for Center Fire Lever Actions, every now and then some one slips in the back door with a Winney. No Problem, there is always an assortment of rifles. the afternoon match is also a 40 round match and for record it is usually a hunter pistol match, but not always. Many of us stay and shoot our rifles again just for practice, same distances, same targets and pretty much same group of good ol boys having fun. I will PM you with more info.

#8 ·
Is there a reason that nobody invited the OP to Wind's Happening in July? I mean Silhouette and dingers are almost cousins! :biggrin:

John

#9 ·
John, How do you say "Come on down" in Canuckish?. It took three years to figure out how to git a bunch of Texans here. Gittin you back east fellers over is even tougher. Imagine the culture shock our more civilized neighbors to the north will have to endure when they run into some guy named Fernando. Even more scarier is the risk of them taking our health care system (Bambi and Bubbles) back with them... Of course those Texans needed to be watched careful too when they was packing up...

#10 ·
Wet Dog - Hey, hey hey ! It was just a coincidence I had air shocks put on my car while at the Happenz 3 last year. Besides, Wind gave me most (some) of that cedar wood I put in the trunk. Don't go giving Steve in Wyoming any false ideas. I'm being watched too closely already.:biggrin: Shenandoah

#11 ·
Shenandoah,

Wow, that was a pretty long ride to the Happening. That was longer than Gus and Woodrow drove them cattle to Montana! :)

John

#14 ·
I was told that the letter from the club to them fellas was sent out a while back, although we did not see them at the June match. Hopefully we will see Caseyboy and his side kick for the July match.

Would also say we currently have at least one Canadian member who comes down and shoots in all of matches. We would certainly welcome anyone else who wants to show up and shoot. Don't worry about your skill level, shucks they been putting up with me for 2 years now. I am worried about that however and have recently starting bringing some dougnuts to the Sat matches trying to keep on the good side (bride) the other shooters into letting me hang around.

Shoot me a PM if you need more details, cost, directions, etc.
Ron

#15 ·
If the Canadians start showing up at the Happenz, there may be a language barrier between them and us Texicans. Aye?

#16 ·
You betcha. Shenandoah

#17 ·
Nah if We're all from the west it's all the same, north or south it don't matter...now if we waz them oddballs from the east, they can't understand us....and that's just the way we want to keep it

#19 ·
OK, It will be great to see you at the match. Just a heads up, try and bring enough ammo for 2 matches. Not sure if it's clear on the schedule, but we shoot a centerfire leveraction match in the AM and then in the PM, they shoot the hunters pistol match. However in the afternoon match there is usually room for those rifle shooters that want, to join up and shoot in another match.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.