+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: Long range lever action

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Long range lever action

Hello all, this may not be the right place for this question but i didnt see any where else that might be better. What would be a good long range lever action and caliber maybe 500-600 yards.

Wrangler
    Member #
    Because of the action itself, leverguns are not ideally suited to long range shooting. I mean, don't get me wrong, there are a handful of videos on YouTube with guys shooting steel gongs at 800+ yards with their 30/30's, but, from a practical standpoint, a bolt-action is a much better choice if you desire long range accuracy.

Browning makes a slew of BLR's - if you can get past their looks - chambered for higher-pressure cartridges, but they're still not the most accurate rifles. In a Marlin, maybe the 338 Marlin Express would be your ticket.

Wrangler
    Member #
    Check the first and third stickies on this page. The 32-40, 38-55/.375 & Other Great Non Standard Calibers

Look for some of Wind's long range lever videos here as well.
    39A .22
    336CB .38-55
    1894CB .357mag
    1894S .44mag rifle - Team 1894 #266
    1894S .44mag carbine
    1895GS .45-70 - Team .45-70 #915

Josey Wales: "Whenever I get to liking someone, they ain't around long."
    Lone Watie: "I noticed when you get to disliking someone, they ain't around for long neither."

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Idaho or Oklahoma, and NOT depending on the weather
    Member #
    There are few of us out here looking to horn in on the fun that Wind, Wet Dog, Rowdy and jbledsoe are having with a variety of calibers that are lever guns. Looks like great fun whatever the practicality.
    John

Cowpoke
    Member #
    Yes, there are lever guns with excellent long range potential. I own what I consider one of the very best, a BLR in .325WSM shown here with my 1895M. The .325 WSM 220gr load can match typical .338WM 225gr loads energy-wise at the muzzle and shoot as flat as a .300WM with typical 180gr loads. Not a bad compromise(?) in my book. Oh, and my BLR/.325 is more accurate than most all of my bolt guns. Saying they are not known to be accurate is a fallacy in my book as I've owned no less than seven BLRs and all have been excellent shooters. FWIW, I prefer the S/A BLRs and way prefer the balance and feel of my .325 or a .300WSM over the much longer & heavier 7mm RM & .300WM BLRs.

As far as numbers are concerned; at 400 yards the .325/200gr Winchester Factory load is still carrying nearly 2200 FPE and with a 200 yard zero is just under 20" low (-6.8" @ 300 yards).

Attached Images Attached Images
    WAHunter and Sparky civil like this.

Wrangler
    Member #
    Like I said, there are plenty of folks ringing steel gongs at 800+ yards with their leverguns, and, like I said, the BLRs ratcheting lever-operated action allows them to be chambered for a slew of high-pressure cartridges, but the design is not conducive to long range accuracy. Then again, however, I guess that would depend upon one's interpretation of "accuracy." I find all my leverguns accurate - but compared to my Kimber, Nosler, and Weatherby? Hell, no. We're not even talking the same game.

I'm certain the BLR will hold its own with mass-produced entry-level rifles and the red herring higher-end rifle, but to say there is not disparity in general between leverguns and boltguns at 500-600 yards, that it's a fallacy, well... I'd just have to see that with my own eyes.
    graymustang likes this.

Wrangler
    Member #
    Don't get me wrong, Hondossg - if you're talking about ringing gongs, then why not; if you're talking about this new craze with extreme long range hunting, where practical accuracy is prerequisite, that's what I take difference (and no, I don't shoot anything beyond 300 yards).

Deadeye
    Member #
    Ive shot plenty of steel targets at 500 meters with a 30-30 lever gun..but for hunting type consistency. forget about it! Ive also shot a 308 win bolt rifle at 500 meters at steel targets...Its a rare occasion you wouldn't hit a ram in the shoulder! But ringing a 4X4 plate at 500 meters with a lever gun..isn't exactly precision type shooting..but it can be done fairly consistently if you pay attention to all the variables.
    LeverGunGuy likes this.
    C-45

Wrangler
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by chris45 View Post
    Ive shot plenty of steel targets at 500 meters with a 30-30 lever gun..but for hunting type consistency. forget about it! Ive also shot a 308 win bolt rifle at 500 meters at steel targets...Its a rare occasion you wouldn't hit a ram in the shoulder! But ringing a 4X4 plate at 500 meters with a lever gun..isn't exactly precision type shooting..but it can be done fairly consistently if you pay attention to all the variables.
    Precisely.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by hondossg View Post
    Hello all, this may not be the right place for this question but i didnt see any where else that might be better. What would be a good long range lever action and caliber maybe 500-600 yards.
    Hey Hondo,

Take a look here. WhitSpurzon's channel - YouTube 45/70, 38-55, 32-40, 25-20, all seem to be suitable for this type of shooting.

Enjoy.

Later, Mark
    Duty is the sublimest word in the English language. Every man should desire to do his duty, no man should desire to do less. Robert E Lee.

Marlinitis Symptoms: More Daily!

Active rescuer of Marlin Rifles, S&W revolvers, 1911's, Mil/Surplus rifles, shotguns.............

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links