Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1947 Marlin model 36... New to me!!!

5K views 27 replies 24 participants last post by  Raginbull44 
#1 ·
I spent over a year looking for a one of these at a decent price; a model 36, 30-30, with forend stock cap, 2/3 length magazine tube, unmolested, with a tight action and in decent shape.

When I picked this rifle up a couple months ago, I would have easily given this rifle 95%+ on the mechanics and 80%+ on the looks. The wood was dull and the bluing rubbed off in spots.

Well, it has been a few weeks since I dropped it off to my local gun smith for a cosmetic overhaul; tear down, thorough cleaning, total hot bluing on exterior and interior parts and stock refinish. Once again my gunsmith did not disappoint. This $160 face lift came out with amazing results. Looks so good I'm not sure if I even want to fire it now. Then again, I do not believe in "safe queens".

Firearm Gun Rifle Trigger Wood
Gun Shotgun Wood Air gun Gun barrel
Gun Rifle Shotgun Air gun Wood
Gun Shotgun Wood Air gun Trigger
Shotgun Wood

See less See more
#6 ·
That is one sweet model 36 Thanks for sharing it with us. Those are some very nice pictures too.

Enjoy the Journey
444GS2

Reactions: Omnipotent1
#25 ·
#10 ·
Very nice rework. Looks new again. But do shoot it often.

I've seen a few NIB safe queens with problems the owners did not know existed until they tried to shoot them.

Safe Queens never go to the Royal Ball. ;)

#12 ·
Beautiful rifle. Looks like it just came out of the box, but better than it was in the box!!!!! That smith did a great job.

#16 ·
I can not say enough about my local gunsmith.

The gunsmith that did this refinish, has re-done several of my passed down guns making them look like new; my grand dad's (on my fathers side) 1952 Remington 870, my grand dad's (on my mothers side) 1960 Belgium made Browning A5 and my dad's 1958 Ithaca 37 Featherlight. These were the primary deer guns of my loved ones, and they were pretty beat up. This gunsmith made them come alive and look like new. He has also refinished 1/2 dozen other guns for me with great results.

His best work of art that I personally witnessed was a refinish for a long time best buddy. My buddy had inherited a 16ga 870 Wingmaster from an uncle when he was a teen. My buddy ended a teenage late season hunt by putting the gun away when it was still wet, as many teens, thinking he would take care of it later. Appox 8 months later, he went to pull the gun from the case stored under his bed and needless to say... an ugly sight. It was severely rusted and no amount of oil could fix it. For over 30 years the pitted mess of a gun then sat leaning in a corner of a bedroom closet. Over the years, my buddy would make comments kicking him self in the ass.

A couple years back during a family get-to-gether, I had my buddies dad sneak the gun out of the house and place it in my car. A trip to my local gunsmith and two weeks later... Wow! Inside and out, the gun looked like new. Fortunately over 99% of the pitting was polished smooth. The gun was re-blued with a high gloss finish, stock refinished and the gun finally restored to a condition that would have rivaled the original look when purchased new in the early 50's. When I later returned this refinished "thing of beauty" to my life long friend... Let's just say he had an emotional moment.

Tax included, my local gunsmith normally charges a little under $180. For that amount he strips the gun down, cleans every thing and re-blues everything that was originally blued (inside and out). I even had an old turn on the century Savage model 99 in 303 Savage that I had him re-due for my mothers companion as a Xmas present a few years back. He even went so far to polish the brass counter on the side of the receiver and the brass screws that fasten the butt plate to the stock. After seeing this gun before and after, I then viewed this gun smith as a true craftsman. What attention to detail.

Hollerans Firearm Svc
4780 Route 287Wellsboro, PA 16901
(570) 724-7285

#18 ·
Nothing like having a brand new 67 year old gun.

#22 ·
I spent over a year looking for a one of these at a decent price; a model 36, 30-30, with forend stock cap, 2/3 length magazine tube, unmolested, with a tight action and in decent shape.

To follow up on a old thread... I was wondering how the restoration is holding up after 4 years?

I have picked up a 36RC in hunted condition with some blue wear and a few minor scratches in the stock. Bore is 100% though. It also has been drilled for scope mounts. I do not believe I would be tossing any collector value performing a overhaul in this case. Your rifle looks so good it has me thinking...Is your smith still in business and is your rifle still looking as good as the pictures show?
Thanks

#24 ·

To follow up on a old thread... I was wondering how the restoration is holding up after 4 years?

I have picked up a 36RC in hunted condition with some blue wear and a few minor scratches in the stock. Bore is 100% though. It also has been drilled for scope mounts. I do not believe I would be tossing any collector value performing a overhaul in this case. Your rifle looks so good it has me thinking...Is your smith still in business and is your rifle still looking as good as the pictures show?
Thanks
I must admit... It has been a bit of a safe queen... I get the rifle out to show it off, as recently as this past October to show my Britsh In-laws on thier trip to the States... I was going to break it out last year for an "open sights" fathers and sons/daughters shoot last year on Father's Day. I was going to take this gun along with my son taking his Model 36 in 32 Special, which he purchased and had restored a year later... Like father, like son.... But, I was called into work that day... This year on Fathers Day, we plan make amends for missing last years shoot...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.