+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Sporterized Mausers

1R [OP]
    Tinhorn
    Member #

Sporterized Mausers

I'd be interested to see and hear of your sporterized Mausers, especially the work you did yourself. Don't be afraid of boring me with the details, I'm looking for some tips and tricks.
    I've got a project myself, I'll post the picts when it get it where I want it.
    The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any band of regular troops that can be, on any pretense, raised in the United States."

"No truth is more evident to my mind than that the Christian religion must be the basis of any government intended to secure the rights and privileges of a free people."

Noah Webster

High Priest of the Powder Hoarders Super Moderator
    Coastal Missouri across the water from The PRI.
    Member #

Re: Sporterized Mausers

My first centerfire rifle was a Type 99 Arisaka, and I spent a lot of time tinkering with it. The forend was all busted up so I cut it back and tapered it, basically the only modification I did to it. I spent a lot of time practicing my ham-handed metalworking skills (if you can call them that) polishing the receiver. It was a late-war gun, rough as a cob, and was a bring-back from the Pacific Theater with the crest ground off, so I didn't worry about ruining it. I think I paid $55 for it, complete with a box of shells. I'm pretty sure the shells were worth more than the gun. I still have it.
    "There is a fine line between a hobby and Mental Illness". Dave Barry

Team 1894 #4
    Team 45-70 #847

Deadeye
    Member #

I started a project on a 1917 Danzig action, that was originally intended to be a 9.3x62. It was at the gunsmith's, waiting for the barrel. In the meantime, I came across a 1915 Berlin, in a Hogue stock, heavier than average 22" Shilen barrel in 35 Whelen, Timney trigger, etc. I got it for $400 with a free box of ammo, put a scope on it and took it elk hunting, but didn't get a chance to use on an elk. I haven't got it to shoot super accurately yet, but after the season I noticed that the front action screw wasn't very tight. Have it apart right now to tweak the stock fit.

I had the gunsmith install a Lothar Walther 6.5 Swede barrel on the first action. I got it back a while ago, and have been working on hand polishing it getting ready to do the rust bluing on it. I bought a factory FN safety shroud for it, but haven't put it on yet. I have a semi inletted stock blank for this, but I may put it in another stock in the meantime so I can shoot it sooner. I've been coming to realize that that stock fitting and finishing is going to take some time to do carefully.

I also have a bare Czech receiver. It has some pitting on it, but I'm thinking of trying to do this one myself with used parts as cheap as possible and make it a 30-06.

And then one military Turk with pretty wood.

Deadeye
    Member #

Not a Mauser, a 1917 Eddystone that was built up before I bought it.

The builder knew what he was doing and it's a real shooter. This rifle is so heavy, I wonder how our boys carried the originals in the field.

Made in June of 1918, the bore was so dirty and copper fouled, I suspect it was NEVER cleaned in all those years. I took literally two weeks and during that time I had the bore filled with foaming bore cleaner and kept removing copper that looked like blue pen ink.

It's clean now and the bore is like new. Shoots great!
    msharley likes this.
    "Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt."

1R [OP]
    Tinhorn
    Member #

Turk with pretty wood -

Mine is a Yugo 22/47. After I got off layers and layers of cosmo, sanded, the orignal walnut actually had some nice figure to it. It also had a couple of small knots and checks, so it was far from #1 by civilian standards, but it isn't bad looking.

The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any band of regular troops that can be, on any pretense, raised in the United States."

"No truth is more evident to my mind than that the Christian religion must be the basis of any government intended to secure the rights and privileges of a free people."

Noah Webster

1R [OP]
    Tinhorn
    Member #

The inlay is something on the Pattern '17. Of course, being from just North of the Red River, I find it regretable that it is in the shape of Texas.

Noah Webster

Wrangler
    Member #

The very first gunsmithing I ever did. I bought a Swedish Mauser M96 from K-Mart for $79. I figured if I screwed it up it wouldn't break the bank.

Using a Smithy 3 in 1 lathe/mill I did all the work......

Converted to cock on opening with a Daison Taiser trigger kit
    Welded on a butter knife bolt handle made from a real honest to goodness butter knife!
    machines and installed the Winchester M70 type safey
    Machined the muzzle brake
    Threaded the barrel and installed the muzzle brake
    Stock it in a Tupperware stock
    Drilled and taped for scope mounts (This was a great learning experience! Mausers are hard!)
    Made my own scope mounts
    Learned how to "Jewel" and did the bolt and bolt release

The amazing thing is how accurate this rifle is. It will easily shoot under an inch for three rounds at 100 yds with the 100 year old factory barrel! When I started this project I couldn't even spell "lathe", nevermind operate one. Lots of time at the library and watching gunsmithing "video tapes".........then I just jumped right in..........Lots of fun.

I've built dozens of rifles since on much improved machinery, but none have been as rewarding...........

LeverGunGuy and msharley like this.

Wrangler
    Member #

One of these days I'm going to "breath on" this bolt handle. I don't like the look.

msharley likes this.

1R [OP]
    Tinhorn
    Member #

A $79 Swedish Mauser - how log ago was that?

Noah Webster

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

I had a .404 Jeffrey made up on an opened up Model 98 action years back. My local smith did all the metal work, I had a custom synthetic stock made with NECG irons. I had an eye accident before it was finished ( toen left retina,bummer) so gave it to a Missionary friend of mine.
    Genesis 3:21 ...God, the first Furrier.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links