+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: The Hurtgen Forest Battlefield, October 2011

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by redlegagent View Post
    HBO made a movie some years back in 1998 about the battle of the Hurtgen Forest. It's called When Trumpet's Fade. The Battle of the Hurtgen forest took place just prior to the Battle of the Bulge and involved "green units" which is why few ever heard of it as the Bulge got all the publicity.
    I have that movie on DVD.

As we walked around looking for those bunkers I noticed how easy it was to get turned around. The forest is so thick and uneven that you can easily lose your bearing. I can't imagine being there in the fog of war. Here is a story about PFC Cahow, who I mentioned above.

WW2 Battlefield Relics Robert Cahow
    Glenfield 30A 30-30 (1980)
    Marlin 336A 35 REM (1950)
    Marlin 336RC 32 Special (1952)
    Team 30-30 #768
    Team 35 #433
    Team 32 Special #97
    Retired Army (20 years) - 1986-1990 and 1997-2013

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Thank you for the pictures. My hobby is the study of military history, especially WWII, and every night I'll read for a half hour or more. Most times I'll have three or four books going at a time.
    The Hurtgen (aka Huertgen) Forest figures in a lot of soldier's accounts. One of the best in my library is "Follow Me And Die. The Death Of A Division", by Cecil B. Curry, which details in vivid detail the struggle of the 28th Infantry Division in the Hurtgen.
    Again, thanks for the photos and description. I eat this kind of thing up.
    And Thank You for serving our country. I was Army, 1967-1970, 5th Infantry Division (Mechanized), at Fort Carson and also Vietnam.
    ballistics04 and Moondoggie like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchil
    Member: Veterans of Foreign Wars, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, AMVETS, Society of the 5th Infantry Division

Deadeye
    Member #
    Thank you for the great post!
    ballistics04 likes this.
    U.S Navy VeteranMarlin 336SS 30-30, 1895GS 45-70, Golden 39A,36R1 30-30... The Lynx is a Stealthy Hunter. Team 39 #53, Team 30-30 #275, Team 45-70 #292 NRA LIFE MEMBER NYSRPA MEMBER

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    Thank you for the pictures. My hobby is the study of military history, especially WWII, and every night I'll read for a half hour or more. Most times I'll have three or four books going at a time.
    The Hurtgen (aka Huertgen) Forest figures in a lot of soldier's accounts. One of the best in my library is "Follow Me And Die. The Death Of A Division", by Cecil B. Curry, which details in vivid detail the struggle of the 28th Infantry Division in the Hurtgen.
    Again, thanks for the photos and description. I eat this kind of thing up.
    And Thank You for serving our country. I was Army, 1967-1970, 5th Infantry Division (Mechanized), at Fort Carson and also Vietnam.
    There's a reason they were known as the "bloody bucket"... and thank you for your service as well!
    rice paddy daddy likes this.
    Team 30-30 #768
    Team 35 #433
    Team 32 Special #97

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Wow... Hair stood up on the back of my neck when I saw the Huertgen Forest title. I read the book on it, and have seen at least one movie and one documentary on it. It was VERY bloody and VERY deadly and an extremely miserable experience for anyone sent there to fight.

I did not get to this battlefield while I was stationed in Germany, but I did get to a number of bunkers and fortifications on the Sigfried Line in the area where I lived (Worth am Rhine/Karlsruhe). Made these visits with a German Reserve Army Officer who became a very good family friend of mine, AND got to spend sessions with his father who was a WWII Wehrmacht CPT. Priceless historical experiences for me, especially as a student of military history in general and WWII EU history specifically.

The history and experience associated with the Huertgen Forest, and the areas I personally visited. were very moving then, and still is now. Thanx for sharing!
    ballistics04 likes this.
    Army Veteran
    Team 35 #137 '72 336C
    Team 30-30 #300 '81 336C
    Team 45-70 #1122 '78 1895
    Team Mauser #6: Yugo '98, Swede '96 (original), Swede '96 Sporter
    Savage 99F 300 Savage
    Savage 99 284 Win

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by oscarflytyer View Post
    Wow... Hair stood up on the back of my neck when I saw the Huertgen Forest title. I read the book on it, and have seen at least one movie and one documentary on it. It was VERY bloody and VERY deadly and an extremely miserable experience for anyone sent there to fight.

I did not get to this battlefield while I was stationed in Germany, but I did get to a number of bunkers and fortifications on the Sigfried Line in the area where I lived (Worth am Rhine/Karlsruhe). Made these visits with a German Reserve Army Officer who became a very good family friend of mine, AND got to spend sessions with his father who was a WWII Wehrmacht CPT. Priceless historical experiences for me, especially as a student of military history in general and WWII EU history specifically.

The history and experience associated with the Huertgen Forest, and the areas I personally visited. were very moving then, and still is now. Thanx for sharing!
    We went to a German museum in the town of Vossenack and met a German civilain who had served 12 years in the modern day German Army. He spoke good english, so he gave us a bit of a tour through the museum, talking about the Hurtgen battles that were mapped out in the museum. He also asked for information on some of the recovered American arms and equipment they had on display. It was very cool to share information and knowledge with him.

He told us about the church in Vossenack being the location where American and German forces fought across the isles inside the church at one point during the battle. I believe the church was rebuilt after the war, and it was being used on that Sunday that I visited the Hurtgen. I would have loved to tour that area with a German resident who had a wealth of knowledge about the battles that took place there.
    Team 30-30 #768
    Team 35 #433
    Team 32 Special #97

Contributing Member
    Member #
    B04 - I was very lucky. I became friends almost immediately at the start of my tour there w/ a German family. He was President of the local shooting range, which is where/how we met. I got to see a lot of military history w/ him as my personal tour guide. It was great. We also saw a lot of the historical castles and area on our own. It was a great, fun 3 years. We also did an official staff ride to Verdun. That was wild. Back then (don't know if they still do) they would run Cats and subsoilers over the battlefield and turn up the ground. They allowed souvenir hunting. I had a rusty old Lebel, but it was beyond salvage... Craziest thing was, we had a CPT that tried to bring an old rusty unexpended 88mm gas shell onto the bus! NO WAY THAT was happening... They still have people get into contact with old WWI persistent mustard gas there on occassion.
    Army Veteran
    Team 35 #137 '72 336C
    Team 30-30 #300 '81 336C
    Team 45-70 #1122 '78 1895
    Team Mauser #6: Yugo '98, Swede '96 (original), Swede '96 Sporter
    Savage 99F 300 Savage
    Savage 99 284 Win

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by oscarflytyer View Post
    B04 - I was very lucky. I became friends almost immediately at the start of my tour there w/ a German family. He was President of the local shooting range, which is where/how we met. I got to see a lot of military history w/ him as my personal tour guide. It was great. We also saw a lot of the historical castles and area on our own. It was a great, fun 3 years. We also did an official staff ride to Verdun. That was wild. Back then (don't know if they still do) they would run Cats and subsoilers over the battlefield and turn up the ground. They allowed souvenir hunting. I had a rusty old Lebel, but it was beyond salvage... Craziest thing was, we had a CPT that tried to bring an old rusty unexpended 88mm gas shell onto the bus! NO WAY THAT was happening... They still have people get into contact with old WWI persistent mustard gas there on occassion.
    Wow, I wish I had the time to do more travelling over there. I still keep in touch with a good German friend I met there. He served 12 years as a paratrooper in the 70's and 80's (not the guy I met in the Vossenack museum). I really wanted to visit the more famous WWI and WWII battlefields and just never had the time.
    Team 30-30 #768
    Team 35 #433
    Team 32 Special #97

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links