Marlin Firearms Forum banner

upside to unemployment

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  etexoldguy 
#1 · (Edited)
Well I am halfway through my 3td month of unemployment since being laid off with no luck so far in finding another job. I've sent out hundreds of resumes but have only had 4 interviews and only one of those was face-to-face, others were by phone.

It is a tough job market out there. My brother applied to one job at the shipyard. He did not get it and later found that there were over 8000 applicants for 1 position!

So I am trying hard to keep a positive outlook and have a lot of things to be positive about.

I've spent more time in the woods than I have in years.

I've done a lot of repairs to the property that I have been putting off.

My health is excellent.

And most important I've been able to spend more time with my wonderful wife and kids.

God has blessed me beyond all measure.

#3 ·
I was laid off in August of last year, due to health problems.
My company, who I will not name, knew full well about my issues, and could have moved me into a management position, for which I was more than qualified, yet instead they chose to hire a person who had no experience, because he could bring a new account with him, because of who he was related to.

I was diagnosed with a rare form of debilitating arthritis, have severe lower lumbar spine issues, and three fused vertebra in my neck, as well as ireversable nerve damage in my left arm,and hand as well as acute fybro myalgia. I also have nurological issues associated with my back injury, and am legally deaf in one ear.

But my government turned me down for disability, and sent me a letter stating that I should learn a less demanding line of work. I am 42 years old and have never done anything but hard work. Welding, operating equipment, construction, and oilfield jobs. How the hell am I supposed to learn another line of work, when nobody will hire me because of my health problems?

Don't get me wrong, i am not complaining. I'm fine. My wife and I own a business, and My property, home and both vehicles are paid off. All i'm saying is it could be worse. Be gratefull you're body isn't worn out from a lifetime of hard physical labor, and hard living. Mine is, and the people that be, could care less.

#4 ·
Keep your head up navajo, things will get better if you let them.

I have been trying to think of some things I can do to improve my skills. Among them are programmable logic controllers(PLC), computer numerical controllers(CNC), and HVAC. All three are in pretty high demand by employers. You might want to check those out.

#5 ·
Been laid off from being an electrican for 2 years, be 3 this sept. 4 years of ojt and school down the drain unless I wanna leave my son and go on the road. Everybody around here would rather hire new guys cause they work cheaper and sending them to school is a tax write up. I know a ton of hvac and plumbers in the same boat.

I've had to take a huge paycut and go back to swinging a hammer. Just put in for a 2nd job working at a gas station.

#8 ·
Same here. laid off in 2010 and no work since. EDD ended Jan. My house is in foreclosure. I did sell my .410 shotgun today to possibly pay my truck insurance or buy food, still have to decide on that one. I do start working next month for a new contractor who said he has a few months on the book.

Mothers, do not let your children to grow up in construction. I wish I was a male nurse.

#6 ·
Times are tough all over fellas! All you can do is keep on, keepin' on and keep your heads up! Hopefully it'll all work out for ya!

#7 ·
When people ask about my situation, I tell them This is what barrak Obama has brought me. Because I know, if the company i was working for had stayed like it was, instead of having to sell out to a major fortune 500 company after the 08 election, They would have taken care of me.
I will tell you this , though. Each year i worked there, up until 2008, I earned a pretty nice quarterly bonus. After the 08 election, things went south fast.

#9 ·
I was lucky and owned my house/land and both my old trucks were paid cash. Was raised if I had to use a credit card I didn't need it so I didn't have much debt. Was able to do minor machine and mechanic work till I got a crappy job. It just hurts going from doing good for yourself working at a job for almost 10 years to being the new guy again even tho I have more experince. Also having to explain to a 5 y/o only child why we can't just go everywhere, he gonna have to wait for a toy, or he can't have ice cream this week cause real food is more important. If it wasn't for him I would be fine with it and say screw it. Thought I was on my feet and in a good trade to support him but nobama made that a lie.

What doesn't kill ya makes ya stronger and only one way to go from the bottom.

Reactions: navajo and elbowone
#10 ·
This why I lkle this site, real Americans with real life stories abound. I retired at 60, heart issues, thank the Lord the kids are grown and gone on their own, house paid off, just me , the wife and the simple life.

Reactions: navajo
#11 ·
I think I am just going to say to heck with it. The last doctor I went to told me eventually this stinitis or whatever it is they say i have will keep me from doing much. I had my own welding business here before, and still have a nice shop, and all my equipment. My wife has a dog grooming business, that's pretty sucessfull, and as I said before, we don't owe any payments on anything. I think I'm just gonna put the word out this summer, and do some small jobs for cash. Ranchers around here are always breaking equipment. Spent several years welding on busted mining equipment. I'll stay doing something as long as i can. Hate to admit it, somedays i already need a cane to get around. Sucks when you're only 42. Only thing really consrens me is the medical expenses.

#12 ·
Hang in there guys. Obama is "again" promising lots of shovel ready jobs if only they will only approve his new stimulous package. Apply for every gooberment benefit available. You've earned them, much more so than the libtards that have been receiving them for years!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.