+ Reply to Thread

Sidewinder
    Member #

Marlin X7Y in 7MM-08

One of my grandsons is smaller in statue then the others. He will be 13 next year and will start big game hunting. due to his size, I have been looking at the Marlin X7Y, which is their youth model with a shorter stock. If any of you have used this rifle, I would appreciate comments pro or con on the rifle for a young hunter.
    The caliber is no problem as he is not recoil shy and I chose the 7MM-08 over the 243 for it's ability to handle larger game with it's heavier bullet selection.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I don't have the Marlin X7Y but I did give my daughter a Remington Model 7 Youth in .243 and my son a Model 7 Youth in 7mm-08 back when they started hunting. I liked the Model 7 Youth so much I did buy a Marlin X7Y but in .308 caliber for me. I liked the shorter length of both the Marlin and Remington rifles. It was perfect for hunting here in the woods. I since have sold the X7Y not because anything was wrong with it but to raise the funds for a Marlin .338MX when I had the chance to buy one. My children still have the Model 7's but if they didn't I wouldn't hesitate to buy them a Marlin X7Y. It's a well made rifle for the price, really a rifle where you get more than what you pay for IMHO. Lighweight, adjustable trigger, nice recoil pad and accurate to boot. Also I think the 7mm-08 is a highly underrated cartrige, it's one of the best deer rounds out there and in a pinch could be used for elk within practical ranges. I think you are giving your grandson a great gift .
    Middle aged, middle class, blue collar white guy. I hunt, fish, eat meat, wear the skins of animals for clothes and burn fossil fuels for fun and profit. Everything is my fault and I am OK with that.

Lonnie

Marlin League #36
    Team .22 Magnum #33

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Bob,
    Shortly after Marlin introduced the line, I looked and looked for an XS7 in 7mm-08 and had a hard time locating one. I was in a Gander Mnt (when they still carried them) one day in another state and saw one, in 7mm-08, in the youth stock length. Well, it seemed like a 'now or never' moment at that point in time. I wanted that caliber so I got it. I don't have a huge body frame myself, I'm on the shorter, lighter size and figured I could make it work. I eventually swapped on a Boyds stock, but before doing so I put a couple of boxes through it with the plastic stock. My main memory was that it was so light of a rifle, that it kicked very hard. It was a very swift sharp kick compared to other "full size" rifles. That being said, the recoil pad on the plastic stock is really nice, though I still wanted a shoulder pad while shooting it. (I'm not someone who cares if I don't look like a "tough guy" at the range) In contrast, I'll shoot my 308 X7HV all morning without a shoulder pad and not feel sore; much heavier. Length wise: I was able to get comfortable shooting both the original stock length and am comfortable with the new Boyds full length on it.

If it's just for hunting and there will be very few shots through it in a day, and he's not recoil shy to begin with, it might be a non-issue for your grandson.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Guys, thank you for your time and comments on the X7Y. I am going to get serious about getting my grandson the rifle. I appreciated the truthful comments on the recoil due to the light weight. He is not recoil shy, but still I would not push it and have him develope a flinch when shooting. I have been a reloader for over 35 years and can cobble up up some light recoiling loads using 140 gr. or lighter bullets in the 2200 fps range for his rifle practice. Again thank you for your time.

Site Contributor Super Moderator
    Member #
    Centerfire Ammunition - Rifle Ammunition - Managed Recoil Ammunition
    ^^^This would be a good option if you didn't reload.
    I have an older 7mm-08 Savage Scout rifle and it is light, easy to carry, and easy on recoil after I added a decent recoil pad.
    The 7mm-08 is an awesome caliber selection because it allows plenty of growth later on.
    You might want to think about getting him a Boyds laminated stock to set aside for him so that when he matures, the rifle will grow with him.
    “As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” H.L. Mencken

Sidewinder
    Member #
    click I have already thought about the standard lenght stock for future use down the line. Thanks for commenting on it as it is a practital solution that should not be overlooked.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I don't have a Marlin, but I do have a Remington 7mm-08. This is a very good caliber. My 17 year old daughter shoots it and likes it.
    Team 30-30 #618
    Texas Levergunners
    Marlin League #106
    Team 1894 #231

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I have the xs7y 7mm-08 for my wife. I think your grandson would enjoy the gun. I shoot hers and it still fits me fine also. I have the full size xs 7mm-08 for myself and still use hers more than mine. I did buy the remington reduced recoil ammo, but we haven't gotten around to shooting that yet to see how it groups. Hers shoot fine with the regular 140 gr core loks and it's not excessive recoil.
    #658 Team .30-30

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links