+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: First deer rifle

Sidewinder
    Member #

First deer rifle

I'm hoping to go out this upcoming season for my first round of deer hunting. I keep racking my brain about what rifle to get (I tend to obsess and over think anything I buy) and since my first gun was a sweet lil Marlin model 60 I figured to stick with what I love and plan on getting an X7. I've narrowed it down to being chambered in either .270 or 30-06. Just wondering if anyone could help me out on scopes or any work I should do on it if and when I get it (not really a fan of synthetic stock, should I replace it with wood?) ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    gunrunner likes this.

Co-Captain--TEAMS 1894 & Team 450 Super Moderator
    Member #
    Howdy, my first deer rifle was a Marlin for my first center fire hunt in Missouri. I was raised in Illinois that only allowed shotgun so it was a treat many years ago. I hunted down by Cabool and Ava.

Welcome to MarlinOwners and I would consider a 2 X 7 if you will be hunting any distance over 150 yards. My typical distance in central Florida is more like 75-125 yards so I use a 1.5 X 4.5 Bushnell.

Good luck and enjoy, at least half of the fun is the planning and dreaming of opening weekend.

1895gunner
    Scott

Group: Florida Marlin Owners
    Group: Guide Gun & Outfitter Owners Association
    TEAM Shotgun ~ Member# 4 - 410 Lever
    TEAM 35 ~ Member# 244 336D - Ported
    TEAM 39 ~ Member # 221
    TEAM 60 ~ Member # 47 99C & 60SS
    TEAM 1894 ~ Member# 1 1894P - Ported
    TEAM 444 ~ Member# 259 444P - Ported
    TEAM 45/70 ~ Member# 6 1895G & 1895GS - Ported
    TEAM 450 ~ Member# 30 1895M - Ported

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Welcome to MO from Houston, Texas. You might not know it but the XL7 did come with a walnut stock. But not anymore. So, if you really want one with the walnut stock, I suggest that you be patient and look hard and you should be able to find a used one in very good or LNIB condition. I bought my son-in-law one and my daughter gave him a Nikon Pro-Staff scope for it. The set up is very nice.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Thanks for the help guys, what brand of scope do you recommend? I'd like to stay in 100-150 range if possible. I'll be hunting in eastern missouri so I doubt there will be any shots beyond 100 yards. I've heard good things about Boyd's wood stocks so thats what I was leaning toward eventually (I'd prefer to get a new gun)

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Welcome to MarlinOwners. For the price I like the Nikon Pro-staff. I have a couple of them. Good scopes with great low vis optics.
    NRA
    VFW Life Member
    101st Airborne Division Assoc. Life Member
    Team 35 # 61
    Team .45/70 # 1051

"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest." Mahatma Gandhi

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I'm really leaning towards the pro-staff now, right in my price range and you hardly ever hear anyone knock you for going nikon. Thanks for the help guys!
    1976 Marlin Glenfield Model 60 .22
    1987 Marlin Glenfield 30AS 30-30

Team model 60
    Team 30-30

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Welcome from Southeast Texas, everyone has different opinions. I'm partial to Leupold. The best thing to do IMO is what type of budget and look at the different scopes and see what you like. IMO optics are just as important if not more than the caliber of rifle you are shooting. Good luck.
    Team 30-30 #618
    Texas Levergunners
    Marlin League #106
    Team 1894 #231

Wrangler
    Member #
    Welcome for a fellow Missourian! XL7 in 06 was my first deer rifle and so far so great! you cant go wrong with nikon. I put a bushnell banner and it has great eye relief and it has held up really well, they even make a version that has illuminated crosshairs for i think $99.99.
    pow pow!

XL7 30 06.........................Team X7 #20

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I am a certifiable Leupold nut and will recommend them all day long If that's too pricey for you then, as stated above, you aren't going to go wrong with a Bushnell Banner or a Nikon Pro Staff. Also, Midway seems to put these Simmons Whitetail Classic scopes on sale a lot and I hear good things about them. That's a lot more scope than I would use for a deer rifle personally but it is a great deal:
    Simmons Whitetail Classic Rifle Scope 6.5-20x 50mm AdjustableFor here in Missouri, a good 1-4 power scope is going to server you very well.

--James
    gunrunner likes this.
    #533 Team 30-30
    #124 Team 450
    Bolts, levers, 30 cal and now flying cinder blocks too, woohoo!

Sidewinder
    Member #
    3-9x40 is a good power scope to look at for starters. I have a Leupold VX1, Pro-Staff (1st Generation), and a Burris Fullfield II. My personal preference for clarity and eye relief is the Burris, however, I'm not sure I care for the whole eyepiece turning to adjust the power, but really, the differences are negligible between them all; each has love/hate features. My wife likes that feature of the Burris, she can grip it better to turn. When I buy my next X7, the scope I'm going to seek is the Burris E1. The downfall I see to that one is that it'll be tough to eyeball level the scope to the rifle, so you'll need to use a leveling system for mounting. Not a big deal, since I already do. I believe Burris is running a $50 rebate on that scope right now.
    For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.
    2 Timothy 4:3

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links