+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Whats better, soft points or hollow points for deer hunting?

Contributing Member
    Member #
    There are hollow points useful for big game hunting, hollow points for target shooting, hollow points for varmint shooting.

There are also soft points useful for big game hunting and soft points useful for varmint shooting.

Then there are the bullets with various plastic tips.. etc... I think the question "What's better, soft points or hollow points for deer hunting?" is too broad for a concise answer.

I've killed several mule deer with hollow point bullets, a few with Barnes TSX bullets - which will out-penetrate most soft-point bullets - and a few with Berger VLD bullets, which are very frangible, and break up inside the deer after initial penetration. They both worked well, killing just as well as any soft-points I've ever used. Also used soft lead hollow points from my .50 cal muzzle loader on mule deer - and they worked great. Also used 240 gr hollow point bullets from my .44 mag revolver on mule deer, again with excellent results. Another good one is the Sierra Gameking hollow point, not to be confused with their Matchking hollow point...

There are many examples of hollow point bullets that are good for deer hunting. Depends on the bullet, cartridge and even more, on the shooter.

Regards, Guy
    Darkker and Red Harangue like this.

Tinhorn
    Member #

+1 on what Guy said.

And he gots pics to prove it.

Red
    Oh Golly! Must have forgot these here things again. <sarcasm> </sarcasm> Heh sorry.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I normally don't frequent this forum, but just had to throw this out for entertainment when I saw your post:

I'm still not sure. I keep asking them, but they just lay there and stare off into the distance like I'm not even there.

With the .45-70, it just don't matter Cheers!
    Well, ain't this place just a geographical oddity, two weeks from everywhere!

Tinhorn
    Member #
    i use barnesTSX they look hollow pointed ive used thm on biggame they expand&hold together awesome&i used softpoints also w/good results but like m700 siad depending on which hollowpoints used some that frag explode on impact ,shoot a deer with one made fr varmint then youll have shrapnel in the meat no one would want to feed their own family meat that has tiny metal go with a bullet tht well hold together on impact whn shooting deer softpoints
    Last edited by coueshunter; 06-24-2012 at 01:34 PM.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by coueshunter View Post
    i use barnesTSX they look hollow pointed ive used thm on biggame they expand&hold together awesome&i used softpoints also w/good results but like m700 said theres hollowpoints that frag explode on impact ,shot a deer then youll have shrapnel in the meat no one would want to feed their own family meat that has tiny metal go with a bullet tht well hold together on impact whn shooting deer softpoints

Eh?

Ahhh! ESL. I understand now.

A little dot here, a little dot there. Some capitalization. A hint of grammer. Some spell check. Ummm - Naahh!
    Oh Golly! Must have forgot these here things again. <sarcasm> </sarcasm> Heh sorry.

Deadeye
    Member #
    The Power Max ammo you are asking about is a bonded core, instead of a "press-fit" into the jacket. So there should be MUCH less chance of core/ jacket separation.

The "Trick" with hollow points is the design Vs. Application. It is basic hydraulics that causes the nose to open, and expansion to begin(on hunting HP's).
    As an example, lets look at Barnes X-bullets.
    What most people "know" about Barnes X-bullets... They don't really know.
    Most folks will tell you that they will "out penetrate" other bullets, Then they will tell you that "You can even use lighter weight bullets".
    While both statements are true, they are for different reasons that most folks suspect.
    Barnes bullets are made much "harder" than classical bullets, in an effort to control expansion. This means a few things:
    1) They will fail to expand at lower velocities, where a classic SP will still function. Due to this, they DO penetrate more; because they don't transfer energy as efficiently.
    2) You SHOULD use a lighter bullet, so that you can insure that you have enough velocity to ensure the bullet is in it operational window.

Sometime call the bullet manufacturers. Ask them for operational velocity windows of bullets. The X-bullets operating window is a fair amount higher than "classic" SP bullets.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that "If it bleeds, I can kill it"

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links