+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Darkker

Thread: How does the XL7 hold up against the new Ruger American Rifle?

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

How does the XL7 hold up against the new Ruger American Rifle?

I'm new to firearms, and to hunting. I will probably be purchasing a deer rifle at some point this year for use in the Northeast on Whitetail. I love my Marlin .22s, so naturally I'm looking at Marlin center fire rifles for deer hunting. But I'm also familiar with the severe lack of quality that many newer Marlins display, so I'm cautious about buying a new XL7. I've also been looking at the Ruger American Rifle, and it does seem to be very comparable. I'm even leaning towards the Ruger a little because of the box magazine, and the 60deg bolt rotation, but I'm a little leery of the new/untested "powerbedding" versus the XL7's factory pillar bedding. So what do you guys think? Which would you recommend to a noob?
    1946 Marlin model 39A project (not working yet)
    1978 Glenfield model 40 (Marlin model 49DL)
    1996 Marlin model 60
    Team 60 member #90
    Team 49.22 member #1

Hey, you can't say that in America!

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Probably no one here has tried a Ruger yet.I have had no problems with 3 X7 Rifles.Ruger is also a good company.I have nothing bad to say about them.I guess it comes down to how the Rifle fits you.

Deadeye
    Member #
    Although I haven't personally shot the American, the "power bedding" appears to be a rip-off of the Choate Ultimate series. I personally like that method on my guns. Think of a heavy piece of angle iron, that you cinch the action into.
    I agree that the rotary box-mag(ala 10-22) seems very cool.

Personally with 2 XL's under my belt, I don't see the "QC" issues that some say. Obviously YMMV, but we are talking about(around here) Sub-$300 guns. The fit and finish BETTER NOT be what a $600 gun is.... Or Browning screwed me
    As an owner of several M77's(pistols, etc), Ruger's fit and finish for their price range is seriously less than their competition. I think Ruger makes very good, durable guns. But spit and polish IS NOT their strong suit.
    Big Shrek likes this.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that "If it bleeds, I can kill it"

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I've had enough Ruger headaches that I'm solidly in the Marlin camp nowadays

I like to tinker...and I'm fond of being able to fix/hot-rod the things I buy...so far, I've not found a Marlin I couldn't Accurize quickly & easily...
    They're already pretty darn precise, but I do like to bed or pillar bed everything I own for consistancy's sake...
    And I'm really fond of Boyd's Evolution stock...and with their Thumbhole style as well...

The X-7 series is a sub-MOA rifle for low cash outlay (under $330 if you shop careful)...what's not to love?
    A firearm should be a tool in the hands of a deadly weapon, not a deadly weapon in the hands of a tool.
    Team Levermatic #001 http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/gr...evermatic.html

Sidewinder
    Member #
    If I needed a gun now and all the shop had was Marlin X7, Ruger American, Savage Axis, Mossberg, and a Remington 770, all priced the same, I would put them in that order of preference. Even a Remlin wouldn't change my preferred order. I only put the Ruger in front of the Savage because I've had good experiences with Ruger, but then again, I may be a sucker for a project since the book is still being written on the Ruger American. To me, the Marlin's stock feels more solid than the Ruger American.

I too started with a Marlin 780 .22, the fit and feel of the X guns is almost identical that old .22 bolt which I became a pretty good shot with. I know that's where my soft spot for Marlin came from, I'm just glad they developed a solid performing center fire.
    For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.
    2 Timothy 4:3

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I am firmly in the camp that likes good wood and well made firearms. I bought several inexpensive, decent rifles and filled a safe, only to find that I liked my better made quality rifles. A deer rifle will last a lifetime. Why not also explore some of the other options like CZ, Remington 700, Howa, Ruger 77 Hawkeye, and Weatherby. I am a big fan of CZ: Turkish walnut, hammer forged barrels, integral scope base, true mauser action, and excellent fit and finish. The triggers can be adjusted with simple tools. Add to that, they are just plain gorgeous. I'm not against the Marlin bolts, but I think if they expect to survive, they should be compared to the whole playing field.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Hmmm... A lot to think about. I handled each of them last night at a local store, and they both seem pretty nice. The Ruger's bolt was significantly smother, and the feel of the whole gun was more to my liking, but I'm still concerned about their bedding. I agree that the bedding is strong, but it's all metal. There could be significant variation due to temperature changes that I'd really like to hear about before finding out first hand. Also I hadn't considered looking into Boyd's stocks. Just thinking about an XL7 with an SS Evolution stock gives me a *@%# $^. I'll have to look into that.
    1946 Marlin model 39A project (not working yet)
    1978 Glenfield model 40 (Marlin model 49DL)
    1996 Marlin model 60
    Team 60 member #90
    Team 49.22 member #1

Hey, you can't say that in America!

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links