+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: XS7 not a good sniper rifle?

Sidewinder
    Member #

XS7 not a good sniper rifle?

I was reading through some different sniper forums and have seen afew debates on the Marlin xs7vh or X7vh in .308 not being sniper capable. Lot of these people say they are too cheap of a gun and no sniper/tactical stock out there for them. Now I wonder how they can't be because they dont have a fancy tactical stock for them and way too much custom work needs to be done. Any thoughts? Btw, Im not tryin to become a sniper or anything like that but it just kinda made me mad. Just because someone dont pay over $1000.00 for a rifle, it cant be a good sniper rifle.

Drivin my life away... Super Moderator
    Member #
    Any rifle can be a sniper rifle...its the man behind the rifle that makes the difference.

I quickly grew tired of a couple of "sniper forums", there are a few genuine guys there...but most are all about letting the equipment do the work. A good rifle is helpful, but a good sniper can make it happen with any decent rifle.

Carlos Hathcock's rifle was tested after his retirement...it shot 2 MOA.

I've got a couple of custom rifles, and what little is gained in accuracy is not worth the price of admission...the most important thing for a sniper rifle is durability because even if you guard it, protect it, baby it, etc...it still has a rough life.

Heavy barrels are useful if one was to find himself in a target rich environment...shooting fast will cause a sporter barrel to start flinging bullets in all directions when it heats up. Shooting slow...any barrel will do as long as it shoots true.

Its one thing to be sniping in a jungle (a target here and there)...but sniping in Fallujah was likely a lot like shooting prairie dogs (fast and furious)
    Last edited by Ridgerunner665; 01-02-2012 at 06:15 PM.
    Darkker, MZ5 and MJAJohnson like this.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    Weren't the original guns used in Viet Nam off the shelf Winchesters And scopes.? as stated, any gun can be used for sniping.

Papalote
    11 Team 444

Drivin my life away... Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Papalote View Post
    Weren't the original guns used in Viet Nam off the shelf Winchesters And scopes.? as stated, any gun can be used for sniping.

Papalote
    Modified M14's, Winchesters, Remingtons, modified 50 cals, and plain old scopes (3-9x, 10x).

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Glad to hear I'm not crazy... I bought my VH for plinking, but am really interested in trying to push it to long distances. Just got into reloading, so hoping to test out some loads and find a sweet spot. I have been very impressed so far. Several have told me that if I don't have a Rem 700, not to bother even trying. I disagree. I was hoping the VH could fill my "need" for a budget long distance rifle. Who knows when I might have to drop a zombie?

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Papalote View Post

Papalote
    American snipers also used sniper rifles chambered in 30-06 back in Nam. Police SWAT also used 30-06 back in the 70's and 80's with great success if im not mistakin. And those rifles was nothing special with no fancy set-up I mean. I believe the same thing what Ridgerunner said about it's more of the person behind the rifle that makes a great sniper and not letting the rifle shot for them. See I thought that too.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    I don't understand the whole "sniper" rifle topic in general. All of these "snipers" that spend thousands of dollars on gear for what? Its too pretty to take out hunting, so is it to just look tough at the 100 yard range? Do they think they will ever need to use this gear for any reason? Its all nonsense.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Good idea to follow your gut feeling. If it looks like it, smells like it, and sounds like it, it can only be one thing.

Best advise and teaching I ever got about shooting was this.

"If you hold that rifle and it just "feels right", shoulder it.... and if "she whispers in your ear", whip er around and shoot it... and if she "kisses you on the cheek" marry her and make her part of you. You treat a rifle like shes a part of you, there ain't nothin in this world you can't hit that you can see."

That was my Grandfather, his relationships with his rifles were very strong and his shooting showed that.

Remember to go slow, shoot a lot, and be respectful. Shooting good don't just happen. You have to know that rifle better than your wife/best friend.

The Rifle is the machine you are the craftsman/artist that uses it to make something beautiful. Good quality machines/tools are better than cheep junk. But some of the most beautiful things I have ever seen were done with a piece of coal and a can of spray paint.
    Team 30-30 #507
    Team X7 #15
    Team 45/70 #583

Shooting from bags and rests is a good indication of how well your rifle will shoot.... But standing, kneeling and shooting off-hand will tell you how well YOU shoot.
    Get off the bench and get in the game!

Deadeye
    Member #
    Unless you are in active duty, thus NOT posting on the internet; Sniper is a different way of saying "Mall Ninja", or the older term "Mall Rats". They are both descriptions of folks who go to the mall, or other social gathering area to show off and act important.
    Ridgerunner had it exactly correct. Yes, Carlos' gun was only capable of 2 MOA. The man was the threat, not the gun.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that "If it bleeds, I can kill it"

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by xot3ric View Post
    I don't understand the whole "sniper" rifle topic in general. All of these "snipers" that spend thousands of dollars on gear for what? Its too pretty to take out hunting, so is it to just look tough at the 100 yard range? Do they think they will ever need to use this gear for any reason? Its all nonsense.
    That's it, they believe if you dont pay high prices on a high priced rifle then it will not do the long distance shoots. And yes those high priced sniper rifle are way too pretty to take hunting...lol. But I guess if you want to sniper abunch of paper targets from the distance and make you look cool doing it then so be it. Dont get me wrong I would love to own a pretty high priced sniper rifle and take it out to shoot every now and then..lol But the point I was making was the price difference. Someone cant be as good of a sniper on a budget as someone with the good lookin high priced sniper rifle?....hahahahahaha!!!

I seen a story about an American sniper (cant remember his name) back in Nam that was one of the best snipers that we ever had. He did not use a fancy looking sniper rifle, it was just a plain Winchester or Remington (cant remember) and he was hunting and killing enemy sniper left and right with that rifle. He was that good. Just wanted to through that in there.
    Last edited by FADE2BLACK_1973; 01-03-2012 at 03:32 AM.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links