+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: X7VH problem... is this the "new" Marlin?

Tenderfoot
    Member #

X7VH problem... is this the "new" Marlin?

Well, my X7VH (XS7 heavy barrel .30 arrived this week, which made it a good week. I went down to the shop to pick it up and things went downhill from there. The gun was worn where the bolt slides into the action. It didn't look new. I took the bolt out of the box and... it was rusted, dirty, and very scratched. Keep in mind, I had ordered and paid for a NEW gun. Needless to say I was surprised and more than a little frustrated. The bolt looked as if someone had used the gun in the rain, dropped the bolt on the ground, and put it back with no cleaning whatsoever. Even had it been a used bolt, it was in terrible shape.

Fortunately, I had not done the transfer (ALWAYS check the gun before accepting the transfer). The gun was from Bud's. They are doing an o.k. job of making it right. My question is: who dropped the ball? Did the gun go into the box in this state at the Remlin factory, or was it opened/used/abused in a wholesale warehouse?

I did buy the gun sight unseen; I knew it was a risk, especially with the new Marlin establishment, but I've never had a problem with an online order before.

Thoughts? I still haven't decided on a replacement or a refund. Can't find one locally or that would be problem solved. I've seen lots of great reports on new XS7's; perhaps I should consider the standard barrel. Anyone else with one of the new heavy barreled X7's care to chime in?

Thanks!
    vczar1 likes this.

Gruvmann

וקרא זה אל־זה
    ואמר קדוש קדוש
    קדוש יהוה צבאות
    מלא כל־הארץ
    כבודו׃

Tinhorn
    Member #

Re: X7VH problem... is this the "new" Marlin?

I picked up my X7VH last Thursday. The bolt was rusted too, but some fine grit sand paper and some steel wool and now is as smooth as silk. Another problem was that the front take down screw was too long where I couldn't get the bolt to close. I called Marlin and they are sending a replacement screw. It definitely left a bad taste in my mouth but after shooting it and getting moa groups, I feel a lot better. The LGS that sold it to me felt bad and instead of sending it back, they just sold it to me for what their cost was .
    Team X7 #13

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Hi essar9,
    It is good to see some dealers have a conscience. Or maybe he did not want to get stuck with it. But seriously how do brand spankin' new rifles still in box end up with rusted bolts. I am starting to think Remlin are sending their employees to the Stevie Wonder School of Gunsmithing. Are they even being checked these days?
    Click Click Boom likes this.
    Team 45-70 Member No. 268
    Team 1894 Member No. 28
    Marlin League Member No. 24
    Team Old Pharts Member No. 88
    Team ANZMO Member No. 7

THE OLDER I GET THE BETTER I WAS.

Gun Wizard
    Member #

I'm sorry to hear the bolt guns are having problems as well. Marlins are definitely a used only proposition for me.
    Team444 #228

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Im sad to hear of these accounts. The management is extremely poor.

I am interested in the varmint barrel Marlins myself, but sending even one red cent to Cerebus is rewarding their bad attitude/behavior in my opinion. I do not think that the Marlin name and their products will return to the level of quality we expect if they (Marlin/Remington/Cerebus) dont deal with the fact that they have a problem. But then again, I think of what they did to the Marlin employees and I think they can never fix that. So I guess they will ever see my money. I am one American that still thinks employee relations matter.
    Oh...Give me a home where the buffalo roam and the deer and antelope play.

Sidewinder
    Member #

Mega mergers suck. One day there will be only one gun maker until they are eliminated by government and lawyers.
    "A dead thing can go with the stream, but only a living thing can go against it."
    G. Chesterton

Sidewinder
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by moofy07
    Hi essar9,
    It is good to see some dealers have a conscience. Or maybe he did not want to get stuck with it. But seriously how do brand spankin' new rifles still in box end up with rusted bolts. I am starting to think Remlin are sending their employees to the Stevie Wonder School of Gunsmithing. Are they even being checked these days?
    A product is only as good as the people that back it!
    ou will not do peace with the bluecoats, you are free to go.

Tinhorn
    Member #

My bolt came the same way too, discolored and rusted a little. I posted a thread last week about this very same issue.

I bought the rifle from Buds as well. Mine is a Laminate model in 30-06. I have not yet shot it, but I might this coming Friday. Mine seems to be a Marlin made gun, "JM" stamped barrel and "91" serial. I assume it is one of the last ones to leave the Marlin factory. Anyways, I took out some steel wool and worked on the bolt. It is looking a lot better now.

I might call Marlin to see if they can replace the bolt entirely.

Sidewinder
    Member #

It's a bad deal that people have to touch up their new gun.
    ou will not do peace with the bluecoats, you are free to go.

Tinhorn
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by nomosendero
    It's a bad deal that people have to touch up their new gun.
    Yes. It is not cool.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links