Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Marlin XL7 vs FN Winchester Model 70

9K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  wolffire99 
#1 ·
I just picked up a new FN Winchester Model 70 yesterday from my FFL and I thought I'd share some surprising comparisons with my Marlin XL7W in the same caliber, 30-06. Keep in mind the Model 70 is ~ $300 more than the XL7.

Weight - I'll give this one to the Winchester. The Model 70 featherweight is the most perfectly balanced rifle I've ever handled at just a hair under 7lbs The synthetic XL7 in -06 was too light for me to shoot well. With the walnut stock the XL7 weighs in at just under 8lbs and is a pleasure to shoot but feels a little heavy to carry compared to the Winchester.

Stock - This one is a tie. The Marlin factory walnut stock is every bit as nice as the Winchester.

Fit & Finish - This is really where your extra $300 goes. The Model 70 has deeper bluing, a jeweled bolt, glass bedded stock, the barrel is free floated and it comes with a metal trigger guard. However, I do prefer the blind magazine on the X7's to the hinged floor plate design on the Model 70.

Trigger - Winchester wins here, best trigger I've ever pulled. My xl7's trigger, while a great trigger, has a tiny bit of creep.

Action - Surprisingly, I'll have to call this one a tie as well. IMO the Model 70's controlled round feed is a better design but the xl7's action is smoother and has a tighter fit. With the safety ON, the Model 70's bolt becomes very loose. You can wiggle it around in the action and if you don't lock the bolt down it could very well fall open just from walking when shouldered...that kinda bugs me. And the safety on the Model 70 is LOUD.

Conclusion - The XL7 has really thrown off my scale of what to expect from rifles at certain price points. It's every bit as functional as the Model 70 and in some ways better. The Model 70 will probably be my "go to" hunting rifle, but I'm not getting rid of my XL7 any time soon.

See less See more
#2 ·
That's a beautiful Winchester you got. If it's going to be your go-to hunting rifle. why keep the XL7? I'm sure there are plenty of people (like me) who would buy it from you (or trade, like me). In other words, I want your XL7.

BTW, where'd the Zeiss that was on your XL7 go?

#4 ·
wolffire99 said:
It's on the Winchester...can't afford two of those :) I'll probably get a redfield or prostaff for the Marlin now and keep it as a backup and loaner rifle for the handful of people I'd trust with it.
I noticed that right before I read your post. ::) Get a Redfield with the AccuRange reticle for the Marlin--you can't beat it for $170.

BTW, I'm really, really trustworthy... ;D

#6 ·
Good write up. Personally, I like the synthetic stock "X" gun because of it's light weight. I've been shooting a Remington Model 7 for a long time, so lightweight guns are my choice, if I have one.

Winchester model 70s of any flavor cost well over $700 in my area, how about yours?

#9 ·
The bolt becomes loose with the safety on with the Model 70 because the sear is disengaged from the trigger. It's not just yours it's the way the design works. Just personal preference but I prefer that design to others that only block the trigger. Both of your rifles are very very nice by the way. Good looking walnut on both.

#10 ·
efm77 said:
The bolt becomes loose with the safety on with the Model 70 because the sear is disengaged from the trigger. It's not just yours it's the way the design works. Just personal preference but I prefer that design to others that only block the trigger. Both of your rifles are very very nice by the way. Good looking walnut on both.
Thanks for that info, I figured it was probably something like that. I also just figured out a small piece of electrical tape takes care of the noisy safety when I need it.

#12 ·
One thing that you forgot to mention, and it may be important to some, and not very to others. The receiver on the Winnie model 70 is forged from a block of solid steel, so is the bolt, not so on the Marlin, those pieces are cast.

That difference alone is worth the extra dollars, by the way, my 70 shoots sub MOA, just like my Marlins do.

#13 ·
My model 70 shoots lights out too. The Marlin receiver is not cast it is made from bar stock. The bolt body and head aren't cast either, but the bolt handle and bolt shroud are. Nothing wrong with investment casting if it's done correctly. Mistakes can be made in forging too. Actually investment casting if heat treated properly has greater strength in all directions than forged parts. (I may hit some nerves with that one) Ruger's been doing it for year and the M77 action is one of the strongest there is.

#15 ·
efm77 said:
The Marlin receiver is not cast it is made from bar stock. The bolt body and head aren't cast either, but the bolt handle and bolt shroud are.
efm,
Check the new Rifle magazine article, March issue on the Marlin X bolt guns, the receiver is cast, and so is the bolt, I thought it was bar stock also, but the fact is according to Marlin and the author, those parts are cast.

#16 ·
Well took my calipers to Cabela's to find a new scope for the XL7. FWIW, the nikon prostaff 3-9x40 has by far the smallest rear objective (39mm compared to 43mm on my zeiss conquest) and completely clears the bolt handle with low mounts. ;D ;D This scope is also currently 35% off. ;D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.