+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Re: Marlin XL7 vs FN Winchester Model 70

nice write up and nice guns!!
    ak's & chevrolets. certified new york redneck, you can find me in the woods, on the water, at work or dead.
    team30-30 #59
    team X #21

Cowpoke
    Member #

One thing that you forgot to mention, and it may be important to some, and not very to others. The receiver on the Winnie model 70 is forged from a block of solid steel, so is the bolt, not so on the Marlin, those pieces are cast.

That difference alone is worth the extra dollars, by the way, my 70 shoots sub MOA, just like my Marlins do.

Sidewinder
    Member #

My model 70 shoots lights out too. The Marlin receiver is not cast it is made from bar stock. The bolt body and head aren't cast either, but the bolt handle and bolt shroud are. Nothing wrong with investment casting if it's done correctly. Mistakes can be made in forging too. Actually investment casting if heat treated properly has greater strength in all directions than forged parts. (I may hit some nerves with that one) Ruger's been doing it for year and the M77 action is one of the strongest there is.

Tinhorn
    Member #

I knew you could buy a walnut stock from Marlin but never seen a walnut rifle on the shelf.......

Not doubting you but never seen a 7lb M70 with a factory stock and a little hard to believe the walnut on the Marlin added 1.25 lbs.

Dave

Cowpoke
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by efm77
    The Marlin receiver is not cast it is made from bar stock. The bolt body and head aren't cast either, but the bolt handle and bolt shroud are.
    efm,
    Check the new Rifle magazine article, March issue on the Marlin X bolt guns, the receiver is cast, and so is the bolt, I thought it was bar stock also, but the fact is according to Marlin and the author, those parts are cast.

Tinhorn
    Member #

Well took my calipers to Cabela's to find a new scope for the XL7. FWIW, the nikon prostaff 3-9x40 has by far the smallest rear objective (39mm compared to 43mm on my zeiss conquest) and completely clears the bolt handle with low mounts. This scope is also currently 35% off.

Sidewinder
    Member #

Thanks karatoula. I'll check that out. All other articles I've read said it was made from bar stock. I have no problem with cast though as long as it's done properly. Heck even the expensive Nosler rifles have cast receivers and bolts.

Sidewinder
    Member #

Wolf, If you get bored see if the Marlin action will fit the Winchester stock. If it's a yes then that would open more stock options. Chocate had some nice tactical stocks for the M70 that I'd love to put on a Marlin.
    "A dead thing can go with the stream, but only a living thing can go against it."
    G. Chesterton

Tinhorn
    Member #

Any idea where I can find that stock that you have on your Marlin? Its gorgeous.

Thanks

Tinhorn
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Adam11082
    Any idea where I can find that stock that you have on your Marlin? Its gorgeous.

Thanks
    Bought it new from Davidsons on a different XL7...unfortunately it looks like Marlin has discontinued the wood and laminate versions.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links