+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Trigger adjustment

Wrangler
    Member #

Trigger adjustment

Well finally got around to adjusting the triggers on my 2 XL7's. One of them was just about perfect from the box. My sons had quite a bit of creep to it. I took his apart and stoned the trigger and sear engagement areas and removed a slight amount of metal from the sear. I was suprised to see that the surfaces were NOT square. I squared them and polished them to a mirror like finish with a hard arkansas stone. Mainly I wanted to get rig of the creep. After reassembly, and final adjustment of pull weight to 3#, (factory was set @ 5# 1 ounce), it is a really great trigger now with all creep gone. Its as nice as my old remington 700 sendero. Looks like I'm gonna have to get a rifle basix for my winnie to get it that good.
    The center circle shows sear/trigger engagement. These are the areas to polish.

Wrangler
    Member #

Re: Trigger adjustment

Pic with trigger out.

Wrangler
    Member #

Notice how the top of the trigger is rounded. not good for a crisp trigger. I squared it away though.

Gunfighter
    Member #

You should be very careful messing around with sears. If IRC, they are only surface hardened and stoning them could open up the soft metal underneath. Both of my "X" gun triggers have been great, but Remington auto triggers are lousy as usual. That one needed a 'smith to straighten out.
    I don't drink or smoke, I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.

Gunfighter
    Member #

Great Post Donut You Did It Texbook , Just a Added point ounce You pollish the sear You can use several lubes on the sear point . I like Tetra lube It will take anouther 4 to 6 Oz out of Your Trigger also , all The Triggers That I know of That are surfficed Hardened are a Min of .035 deep and On a small part I may be 2 to 3 times that. so as long as You take Your time I think You will be just fine , The More Triggers You do The better you will get at doing them Great Post DD
    www.usarifleshooters.com

Wrangler
    Member #

I didnt remove much metal at all. if you look at the engagement surfaces with a strong light, you will see the surface imperfections (you can see the light bounce off at different angles). I just polished the surface with the hard arkansas stone to make the surface flat and smooth. I didnt change the sear/trigger angle, and only removed enough metal to make the surface flat. You wont believe the difference just smoothing the surface makes, removing the machining marks and such. But by all means, if you feel even the slightest bit imtimated by this, take it to a gunsmith. Thanks for the kind words Dan.

Gunfighter
    Member #

There has Been several shooters say there XS @ XL guns had Trigger Creep This Post my help You all out Very good Info
    abailey55 likes this.
    www.usarifleshooters.com

Tinhorn
    SE FLA. - SUN does not need to be shoveled
    Member #

DangerousDan - good factual advice on smoothing up triggers BUT I can just see Marlin's Legal Department: "Oh, Sh&&t, he's at it again. All vacations cancelled, requisition more money for the trial fund... !" LOL Regards, Homesteader.

Gunfighter
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Homesteader
    DangerousDan - good factual advice on smoothing up triggers BUT I can just see Marlin's Legal Department: "Oh, Sh&&t, he's at it again. All vacations cancelled, requisition more money for the trial fund... !" LOL Regards, Homesteader.
    I Hear Ya . One thing I have Never had much use for is Cat Crap and Lawers . The Olny thing they have done Is put warning lables on guns and 7 pound triggers . as a Old Racer I like things fast and smooth as a lot of shooters do also
    www.usarifleshooters.com

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

great post-lucky i guess as mine were good to go out of the box-keep the great how-tos coming as we are all interested in making our MARLINS better-thanks-whsk

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links