+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tenderfoot
    Member #

My Marlin XS7 7mm-08 vs a Revelation model R220B cal .243 win.

Last year bout November I bought a Marlin XS7 7mm-08. I had been looking for a 7mm-08 for quite some time. It was because of the forum I went with the Marlin XS7 model. When I got the gun I got it home, took it out of the box, and put it straight into the gun cabinet. I did this because of what was being said on the forum bout these guns and the problems and was kinda afraid I made a mistake. Bout February I went to Wally World and bought a cheap Bushnell 4-9x40 scope for bout $70. I had my local gun shop put rings and the scope on it as well as bore sight it. After that it went into the gun cabinet again. I search high and low for my ammo, Remington Premeir Accutip 140 grain bt. I couldn't find any anywhere. So I bought some Prvi Partizan PSP BT 140 gr, bought $16 for a box! I finally took the gun out of the cabine and went over it with a fine tooth comb. It was very dirty. I couldn't find nothing loose on it and I did not want to add weight to the butt stock because it would make the gun unbalanced. When I got done cleaning I lubed it up good and loaded the magazine. Cycled the ammo through several times. I had no problems with feeding and extraction of the rounds. Finally, I got the nerve to take it out in the backyard and shoot it. I got it to where it groups real tight almost through and through. The recoil is hardly noticeable. The weight of the rifle is ideal for quick to shoulder and aim. I have no complaints bout this rifle except the availability of ammo. Now the Revelation Model R220B cal .243 win with a Simmons 4-9x40 scope. This rifle is also excellent. Its almost identical to my 7mm-08 as far has shooting and grouping. I shoot Federal Power Shok 100 gr SP for it. The only difference is the weight of the two rifles. Of course, the .243 has a wood stock and not laminate. I now prefer the laminate stock but as far as looks the .243 will beat the 7mm-08 any day but the deer don't care how the gun looks. I am very please with my XS7 and don't have any regrets, just wish I had bought one earlier. I just hope someone gets the remington ammo in for my 7mm-08 soon!

Tinhorn
    Member #

Re: My Marlin XS7 7mm-08 vs a Revelation model R220B cal .243 win.

Glad to hear it! I'm going to order one first of the week. I just have to decide camo or not.

Tenderfoot
    Member #

I bought a XS7 in 7mm-08 on Jan. 10th this year, then had a heart attack a week later. I just took the gun out last week, put an inexpensive Bushnell scope on it, ran some patches down the bore (without looking) until they came out clean, then took it to the range.

It was all over the place, key-holing with Hornady 139grain bullets. When I got it home, I started to clean it and looked down the inside of the barrel, smooth and shiny with no rifling what so ever.

I called Marlin today to see if I was okay to ship it to CT and the nice lady said they weren't going anywhere for the next year or so. I will ship it UPS tomorrow.

I purchased an XS7 in .308 last year and have had tremendous results with it. My grandson was so disappointed that his 7mm-08 youth model didn't have any rifling. I hope we get a fairly quick turn around from Marlin on this. I'll post more on the warranty work as it unfolds. Never expected anything like this from Marlin, that will teach me to always look down the bore even on new rifles from now on.

I was shopping for a .243 and .270, but will wait and see how they handle this one first.

Gun Wizard
    Member #

That's a pretty big oops! The 7-08 is a very nice caliber, sounds like you need to take up reloading. I didn't realize 7-08 ammo was hard to find.
    Team444 #228

Tenderfoot
    Member #

I found some remington premier accutip 140gr bt on able ammo. This is supposed to be the best round for this caliber, so when I get paid gonna by me a box. I can't get into reloading because I am now gone on the road most of the time.

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBoyd
    I bought a XS7 in 7mm-08 on Jan. 10th this year, then had a heart attack a week later. I just took the gun out last week, put an inexpensive Bushnell scope on it, ran some patches down the bore (without looking) until they came out clean, then took it to the range.
    It was all over the place, key-holing with Hornady 139grain bullets. When I got it home, I started to clean it and looked down the inside of the barrel, smooth and shiny with no rifling what so ever.
    I called Marlin today to see if I was okay to ship it to CT and the nice lady said they weren't going anywhere for the next year or so. I will ship it UPS tomorrow.
    I purchased an XS7 in .308 last year and have had tremendous results with it. My grandson was so disappointed that his 7mm-08 youth model didn't have any rifling. I hope we get a fairly quick turn around from Marlin on this. I'll post more on the warranty work as it unfolds. Never expected anything like this from Marlin, that will teach me to always look down the bore even on new rifles from now on.
    I was shopping for a .243 and .270, but will wait and see how they handle this one first.
    Got the gun back from Marlin yesterday, looked new, in new padkaging. They obviously put a new barrel on, that even has rifling. They obviously test fired it, as it took me a while to get a clean patch through it. Less than two weeks turn around from Ct plant.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

glad to hear they took care of you-let us know how it shoots-thanks -whsk

Sidewinder
    Member #

Sounds like they took good care of you MikeBoyd. Thanks for sharing.
    Dan

Sidewinder
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by IN1894SS
    That's a pretty big oops! The 7-08 is a very nice caliber, sounds like you need to take up reloading. I didn't realize 7-08 ammo was hard to find.
    Hi.
    We do not have possibility to purchase also cal.7-08.

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBoyd
    Got the gun back from Marlin yesterday, looked new, in new padkaging. They obviously put a new barrel on, that even has rifling. They obviously test fired it, as it took me a while to get a clean patch through it. Less than two weeks turn around from Ct plant.
    Update; Put about 20 rounds through it at the range last week. Once we got the scope sighted in, I was averaging less than 1" groups. I was shooting hand loads 120 grain Sierra gamekings with 46.5 grains H414 powder loaded in new Winchester brass and CCI large rifle primers.

I just installed a Boyd's custom nutmeg laminate stock on it today, wow, looks great. Also put a custom pepper stock on my Marlin XS7 .308. This rifle is shooting some in the same hole at 100 yards.

If you are interested in a nice custom stock to replace the black synthetic, check out Boyds at http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/Limite...Items-s/92.htm I paid less than $200 for two stocks including shippping.

Happy Hunting.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links