+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: XL7 accuracy.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

XL7 accuracy.

My nephew recently purchased a new XL7 in 30-06 with laminated stock. His first new rifle purchase. I have been with him on the 3 occasions he tried to zero it in. Also along with us was my brother. Both of us are lifelong shooters and hunters with alot of experience. All three of us tried to zero gun with same result. We shot 8 boxes of ammo (4 different brands 180 grain). Results were out of 3 to 5 shot groups sometimes two rounds would hit fairly close together and the others were always way off. (at least 6 inches). Sometimes we could not even find the holes. Target board is about 2 feet by 3 feet. All shooting was done at 100 yards. Needless to say the young fellow is dissapointed in the guns performance. I went over it, made sure all screws were tight, made sure all scope mounting hardware was secure (rifle has a brand new Leupold VX1 3x9x40 scope). I am trying to help him amd have done pretty much all that I can do. He is ready to send it back to Marlin. I was hoping that maybe some of you fellow members may be able to help us out or have had a similar experience. Thanks alot, Joe.

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Re: XL7 accuracy.

Never had that problem. Always shoots good. Hope you find the problem.

Sidewinder
    Member #

I have the same gun,and it shoots well. A few questions come to mind. Are you letting the barrel cool between shots? Tried different grain bullet (150/165 )? These guns don't shoot well once the barrel gets hot, they throw the shots around.

Tinhorn
    Member #

Is it throwing the bad shots off in the same direction each time? If so check the pressure points on the forend. Mine was hitting on the left side. I loosened the bolts, but a few pieces of paper on that side to give it a cap and retightened. I then pulled the paper ran a dollar bill down the barrel to varify it was clear. The groups shrunk conciderably, with no flyers. I then sanded off both pressure paoints and it grouped 7/8 inch. Also I would check the fit on the recoil lug. My recoil lug had front to back slop (a lot) even with the bolts almost tight. I ended up bedding the lug and front of the lug. My groups shrank to 1/2 with my 270. Before you do that though I would put a new borrowed scope on. It wouldn't be the first bad scope I ever had, which includes one vary x II.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

whene my 25-06 warms up she shoots a bit low, but not fliers. are you shooting level or shooting downhill? that will max the adjustment on the scope out, its happened to me and its frustrating. whene you shoot flat the gun will want to shoot really low. if it takes many clicks to move the point of aim and its shooting all over that could be the problem. its a costly problem cause ammo aint cheap. i highly doubt the gun doesnt shoot especially if you checked the gun out and you know what to look for with mechanical stuff. you have to go back the other way with the verticle scope adjustment till it maxes out, get a pizza box and put it 35 yds away, sight it in then it should walk right in. sight it in 1 inch low at 35 yds. then tune it at 100. i put money on it shooting great after that. really sounds like this is your solution. hope your nephew dont give up yet that gun will serve him well!
    ak's & chevrolets. certified new york redneck, you can find me in the woods, on the water, at work or dead.
    team30-30 #59
    team X #21

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

No set patterns to thrown shots. Our range has a slight incline ,but all other rifles we shoot there are not affected. Luvalever: yes it has been very expensive. I did consider that the scope is n.g.That would be a first for me. Thanks for the replies so far.

Site Contributor Gun Wizard
    Member #

Mine shot sub MOA right out of the box with a used tasco. Several have had issues with scopes and scope mounts. Fom
    Rom 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that,while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

TEXAS MEMBERS PLEASE JOIN
    http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/gr...ergunners.html
    Team 35 # 125
    Team 45-70 # 30
    Team Marlin Express member
    Team 450 Marlin # 73
    Team Fo-Foty-fo # Fo-Foty-one

Tinhorn
    Member #

I never shoot more than two or three shot groups between cool downs. It is a hunting rifle and all I really care about is the first two anyway. My XL7c in 25-06 will walk after the third round without a cool off. The first two holes are always almost one hole. The third a half inch away, time to cool the barrel.

Deadeye
    Member #

Shoot it at 50 yrds with iron sights ( does it have them?)

Sidewinder
    Member #

I say to put on another scope. I just returned a brand new one( Federal Intensity, what a piece of crap! )to SG. I had another scope on my xl7 in 270 and it would shoot sub 1" groups all day if I did my part before the new one (Federal Intensity). After I installed the new one it would do good to shoot a 4" group. Just got a new bushnell elite 3200 and its back to 1" or less. Very Happy with the New Bushnell 3200.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links