+ Reply to Thread

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Thinking About Buying A Marlin XL7- .270

Hey guys!

I was thinking about buying a Marlin XL7, .270 caliber rifle. I saw it at my local gun shop, it looked like a good rifle! I was wondering how does it preform/reviews? Are there any flaws? I heard something about the barrel getting hot very easily or something and something about a safety and the bolt.... It looked like a good rifle but I just wanna make sure.

Thanks Guys!

Lonestar

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Re: Thinking About Buying A Marlin XL7- .270

I got mine in April of this year and like it a lot. Yes, the barrel gets hot when shooting for a while especially when new. I probably have about 150 rounds fired but when I go to the range I try to space the shots so that I can maintain accuracy. This is true of any rifle.

My XL7 did have a problem with the bolt when I first got it, and I sent it to Marlin before I even fired the first shot. They fixed in no time, and have had no problem since then. I've been testing both the 130 and 150 grains Rem factory loads, and so far it seems to like the 130 gr a tad better than the 150. I zero the scope for the 130 and when shooting the 150, I'm about 2 inches below and 1 inch to the righ.

I'm now reloading, and will now better in a 2-3 weeks when I test with my reloads.
    Al
    God, Country and Marlin
    Team 35 ~ Member # 52
    Team 39 ~ Member # 15
    Team Marlin Express ~ Member # 7
    61-Marlin Golden 39A...... 67-Marlin 99 .22LR
    69-Marlin 336 .35Rem..... 08-Marlin 338MX .338ME
    09-Marlin XL7 .270Win.... Mathews Heli-M

Wrangler
    Member #

Stop thinking and go get it.

If you are truly concerned about heat - let me ask why? are you a target shooter that will be sending 50-100 rounds downrange in a couple hours? If so...it might not be for you. My barrel starts throwing rounds after 6 shots in succession - i have a .308

But, my cold clean shot is in the exact same spot EVERY time. I have relegated to taking a single bullet with me to work and stopping at the range on the way home. That bullet lands 1.75 inches high, and dead center every time. when I stack the targets i have shot in the past two weeks, you can see daylight thru the hole. I have stopped cleaning the gun in preparation for hunting season. I do run a bore snake thru every time, but it will not see solvent now until after I fill my tags this year - and I have 3 to fill with the rifle, 2 does to fill with my shotgun (special regs - slug only area).

The Marlin trigger is fantastic, rock solid stock and a good shooter. if the stock fits you and the gun fits your budget, get off the fence and go get it, you will NOT be disappointed.

Sidewinder
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by jayd4wg
    Stop thinking and go get it.

If you are truly concerned about heat - let me ask why? are you a target shooter that will be sending 50-100 rounds downrange in a couple hours? If so...it might not be for you. My barrel starts throwing rounds after 6 shots in succession - i have a .308

But, my cold clean shot is in the exact same spot EVERY time. I have relegated to taking a single bullet with me to work and stopping at the range on the way home. That bullet lands 1.75 inches high, and dead center every time. when I stack the targets i have shot in the past two weeks, you can see daylight thru the hole. I have stopped cleaning the gun in preparation for hunting season. I do run a bore snake thru every time, but it will not see solvent now until after I fill my tags this year - and I have 3 to fill with the rifle, 2 does to fill with my shotgun (special regs - slug only area).

The Marlin trigger is fantastic, rock solid stock and a good shooter. if the stock fits you and the gun fits your budget, get off the fence and go get it, you will NOT be disappointed.
    Getting the same POI with 1 shot in a cold, clean barrel every time is huge!

ou will not do peace with the bluecoats, you are free to go.

Sidewinder
    Member #

Great rifle, terrific round. DO IT (if you haven't already )
    Tim
    CWO4 (Comms) USCG (ret) - NRA life member.
    Team 45-70 #206
    Marlin model 60 .22 semi-auto,
    New model 1894 .357,
    New model 1894 .44mag,
    New model 1895 45-70 and a
    XL7 in 25-06.

Tinhorn
    Member #

Lonestar - I agree that there should be no more thinking involved - just action! Go get one! I feel very confident in saying you will not be disappointed. I have had mine (.270) for almost a year and do not feel I need any other rifle than this one.

As for how it shoots, you can check this link of one of my posts from a while back. The shots were taken at 300 yds - more explanation of conditions and loads if you go to the link.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/i...html#msg425574

Don't wait, go get it.
    Most people spend their whole life wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - President Ronald Reagan

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

try it and you will like it! my XL7C 270 shoots everything that i have fed it very well. handloads into one ragged hole! you can't beat it for the money!

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links