+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 79 1231151 ... LastLast
Like Tree336Likes

Thread: New Marlin (Remlin) Quality

Gun Wizard
    Member #

New Marlin (Remlin) Quality

Just wanted to know how many out there have purchased new Marlins lately and what you are experiencing quality-wise. I've read of a few problem pieces right after the company fired up the new plant but they seem to have it a pace now. My new Guide Gun is a very quality piece.
    Member #25324
    * Team 45/70 #530 * Team 30-30 #510 * Team 60 #77
    * Georgia Marlin Owners Group Member #1 * Guide Gun & Outfitter Owners Association Member #14
    * Marlin League Member #102 * Bangin Blackhawks Member #6
    * The 2nd. is the reason why we still have all of the amendments!
    * Uva Uvam Videndo Varia Fit
    * Non Timebo Mala
    * 1895G (NY) * 336C(CT) * 336W(NY) * 336Y(NY) * 60(CT)
    Love those Marlins! And those 1911s!

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Re: New Marlin (Remlin) Quality

Yeah......this is going to land on the rant forum in less than three additional comments......... :P
    ......eating a steady diet of government cheese, living in a van down by the river!!!.......

"Have you ever spent a million dollars Washington?" James Whitmore Jr, "The Boys in Company C"
    USMC 1985-1989 Semper Fi
    Team 45/70 #164 Marlin 1895 GBL
    Team Mauser #22
    NRA Member (upgrading to Life Member)

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Well if what Jonny V says is right I might as well help it along! I keep hearing about these excellent quality new Remington made Marlins and if this is so, that they have finally turned the corner, then I think it is good news. What seems to have been lacking thus far is pictures showing us how well these guns are put together as far as fit and finish goes. I am not talkiing about a picture or 2 taken at some distance by a cell phone camera, but some good closeup shots showing things like how well the marriage of the butt stock is to the receiver, the wood quality, how the butt stock wood matches the forearm, etc etc. Then show some pictures of the various screws so that we can see for ourselves how they have finally managed to not Bubba up the screw slots as well as not have scratched up the gun in the process. Of course this still wont show all the other hidden problems that have surfaced, (particularly certain jamming issues that haven't surface until a few hundred rounds have been fired) but it would be a start. It isn't that I doubt anybody's word, just that when people comment on the excellent quality, when I have personally looked at 10 different Remlins and haven't seen one of them that comes close to my 2 JM guns (that I did not have to pick through) as far as fit and finish goes, I am skeptical is all.

Now lets see those Remlin CLOSE UP photos and silence us skeptics!
    msharley, more4moe, neut and 3 others like this.
    1895 45-70 GS, 1894 45 Colt
    Super Blackhawk 44 Mag. Henry 22LR Frontier
    Rossi M-92 454 Casull

"When I hold you in my arms
    and I feel my finger on your trigger
    I know nobody can do me no harm"..

JM, RIP..

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesnest
    Well if what Jonny V says is right I might as well help it along! I keep hearing about these excellent quality new Remington made Marlins and if this is so, that they have finally turned the corner, then I think it is good news. What seems to have been lacking thus far is pictures showing us how well these guns are put together as far as fit and finish goes. I am not talkiing about a picture or 2 taken at some distance by a cell phone camera, but some good closeup shots showing things like how well the marriage of the butt stock is to the receiver, the wood quality, how the butt stock wood matches the forearm, etc etc. Then show some pictures of the various screws so that we can see for ourselves how they have finally managed to not Bubba up the screw slots as well as not have scratched up the gun in the process. Of course this still wont show all the other hidden problems that have surfaced, (particularly certain jamming issues that haven't surface until a few hundred rounds have been fired) but it would be a start. It isn't that I doubt anybody's word, just that when people comment on the excellent quality, when I have personally looked at 10 different Remlins and haven't seen one of them that comes close to my 2 JM guns (that I did not have to pick through) as far as fit and finish goes, I am skeptical is all.

Now lets see those Remlin CLOSE UP photos and silence us skeptics!
    I have a new Remlin and while I think the fit and finish is good, I don't think it is perfect...nor do I expect it to be absolutely perfect for $500 mass produced rifle. I'll try to get a picture up once I get a camera, but having perfect fit and finish doesn't make my rifle any more or less reliable or accurate...which it definitely is. I realize that there is skepticism that Remington could actually turn out decent rifles, but it really can happen. I don't know, call me crazy, but I'm one of those "function over fashion" guys who doesn't really care if someone else thinks my rifle doesn't have perfect wood fitting.

I shoot JM stamped Marlins on a regular basis and am no more impressed by those rifles as I am by my own. Not that my rifle is representative of everyone's experience, but I'd be willing to bet that Remington puts out more good rifles than people are giving them credit for. Yes, some are turds, but seriously, they are capable of producing shootable rifles. I don't know what we stand to gain by posting a positive experience with our rifles.

I remember when Kimber had their name dragged through the mud after they moved to NY in much the same way as new Remlins. I can't prove how true the rumors were, but I shot and own many Kimber 1911's from Yonkers that shot/shoot like absolute champs. I had one issue with a recoil spring and that's it. Same thing with Gibson guitars...if there are any musicians on here...and their QC. My Gibsons, even the evil new ones that weren't worth squat to most internet experts always played as they should. Were there issues with these two companies and their QC? Probably. Were the problems as bad as they were made out to be on the internet? Probably not.
    Last edited by Dawei; 11-10-2011 at 08:32 PM.

Team 45/70 Co-Capt'n Contributing Member
    Member #

Remington has halted production of Marlin lever action guns because of QC issues! NUFF SAID!
    Last edited by Dawei; 11-10-2011 at 08:33 PM.
    msharley likes this.
    Lou

Quote...
    "Marlin is gone forever. All that remains is the Trademark Marlin name that someone put's on their inferior products!" LEVER ADDICT

Team 45-70 #3 Team 44-40 #5
    Team 35 #327 Team 30-30 #340
    Team 38-55 #2 Team 1894 #273

Tinhorn
    Member #

I have a new one and couldn't be happier
    everything is rite in my marlin world
    I suggest if ya want to see one to go look at one in the store
    best way to tell .....pics will never please
    jackdaniels likes this.

Wrangler
    Member #

I have recently got a Remlin 1895SBL. The fit and finish are not up to par with my older Marlins but it does work well and is very accurate.

To be honest it feels different in my hand compared to My Guide Gun and my Cowboy. I am not sure how to explain it. Its not a bad gun but it is not a true marlin.
    Jimh4662 likes this.
    Team 45/70 member #512
    Team 1894 member #180

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    I just got a new 1895G, the hammer was locked up right out of the box. It turned out the stock was broken and one of the ears from the stock that fit on either side of the tang was wedged under the hammer spring. Rem./Marlin sent me a new stock, I will have to fit it later but it will work for now(it just doesn't look to good) I was amazed at how dirty this rifle came from the factory, before I cleaned the bore there were metal shavings and tooling grime in there, it almost filled the rifling and made it look like a smooth bore. I thought they may have messed the rifling up but a search on this websight found lots of inquerries of shallow rifling. I will be shooting this gun this weekend for the first time, cycling of the action seems ok and I did check with shell and no jams. I hope it shoots well because right now I have a little buyers remorse. I expect a little more for $500
    Oberhaz and msharley like this.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    A new gun no matter what price should come to the buyer as best as it can be ,with no problems that called quailty american style
    EagleH likes this.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by ceadersavage View Post
    A new gun no matter what price should come to the buyer as best as it can be ,with no problems that called quailty american style
    Any time you mass produce anything with moving parts you will have a percentage of product that have defects. More so when you move the factory and displace the workers who were skilled at making those products. Every American manufacturer of anything puts out duds because of this.
    msharley and ice man like this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links