+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Why don't they make the leverguns in Mayfield?

Gunfighter
    Member #

Why don't they make the leverguns in Mayfield?

The Model 60's I've been seeing that are made in Kentucky are looking better and better. It really makes me wonder what's been going on in Ilion, NY, where they make the lever guns. Why do to people there seem incapable of using a screwdriver properly?
    WAHunter, Roundup and gunscrewguy like this.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    maybe there are more drunk monkeys in illion..............
    336SS likes this.
    WHEN THE PEOPLE FEAR THE GOVERNMENT THERE IS TYRANNY, WHEN THE GOVERNMENT FEARS THE PEOPLE , THERE IS LIBERTY......... Thomas Jefferson

life member NRA
    1895 45-70
    336W 30-30
    922M .22wmr
    336 RC 32 spcl

KON
    Wrangler
    Formerly THE MARLIN FIREARMS CO. 100 KENNA DRIVE, NORTH HAVEN,CT 06473 1870-2011 R.I.P.
    Member #
    Simply, they are not set-up with tooling to do Lever Action Rifles in Mayfield,KY.
    As far as the inability to use a pneumatic screwdriver properly.
    Most of that is using the driver at an angle, improper size drive bit, and / or one with rounded off corners, and it cams out of the slot.
    etexoldguy and gunscrewguy like this.
    "If more is better, then too much is just enough."
    - KON

THE MARLIN FIREARMS CO. 1870-3/31/2011 R.I.P.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    ..... unskilled labor , and you get what you get for that hourly wage - just a wild guess on my part ! haha !!
    gunscrewguy likes this.

KON
    Wrangler
    Formerly THE MARLIN FIREARMS CO. 100 KENNA DRIVE, NORTH HAVEN,CT 06473 1870-2011 R.I.P.
    Member #
    In order to get the Millions of Dollars from NY,KY, and MO, each Remington Plant had to hire a MINIMUM amount of Workers to prove that there were new jobs being brought to that Particular State. It also looked good for those Politicians that "Green Lighted" the Grants, and Highering Incentives come Election Time.
    However, there was not a MINIMUM Amount of Skill Required for those filled jobs.
    Just warm bodies off the street to make "The Letter Of The Law" happy.
    Once that was done after a certain amount of time, Remington engaged their R.I.F. Plan.
    R.I.F. = Reduction In Forces
    This was done to make their "Numbers" look good for the Year, as well as during "The Transition Period".
    "If more is better, then too much is just enough."
    - KON

THE MARLIN FIREARMS CO. 1870-3/31/2011 R.I.P.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Well, maybe whoever has been in charge in Mayfield should go to Ilion for awhile.

Warm bodies, or no, what it really comes down to is wanting to produce a quality product. Henry Repeating Arms has facilities in New Jersey and Wisconsin, neither of which state is known for lots of cheap labor. They somehow manage to make quality products (all with walnut stocks and deep blued barrels) for very fair prices. They clearly have a desire to produce a well made product.
    Roundup and rob42049 like this.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    "They clearly have a desire to produce a well made product."

Thereby hangs the tale. FGI/Remington has no desire to do what is necessary to produce a well made product. They desire only to sell as many products as possible within the price point. Anything that drives cost of production up is not allowed. Hence we get guns that are all too often abominations. Changing locations won't change anything, changing the corporate mindset is the only solution. Don't hold your breath.
    Last edited by Bull Snake; 07-16-2013 at 05:59 PM.
    gunscrewguy and Goattman like this.
    Elmer Keith, enough said.
    Marlin League # 43 co-captain
    Team 39 #49
    Team 30-30 #57
    Team 32 Special #70
    Team 35 #9
    Team 444 #216
    Team 45-70 #509
    Team Old Pharts # 56 Captain

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Bull Snake View Post
    .......... Changing locations won't change anything, changing the corporate mindset is the only solution. Don't hold your breath.
    And one of the many reasons I chose not to continue my employement with them.

Dom
    Goattman likes this.
    XL-7 30-06 Serial # XL700002
    XS-7 .243
    336C - 30-30
    39A
    925M

Marlin Firearms Co. Employee 8/4/1986 - 2/15/2011

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    It may happen yet. Wait a few years. Freedom Group is being sold. Right now Remington has Army contracts making M4A1 rifles at Ilion for which they start delivering this September. As such - they have no incentive to move. Remington is very unhappy with Baby Mario and the stunt he pulled with the so-called NY SAFE ACT this past January. They have also been fighting the "micro-stamping" law which seems to crop up every year in the state assembly. Once Freedom Group is sold and the government contracts run out - there may be enough incentive for Remington/Marlin/Bushmaster to pull out of Ilion and head South. Time will tell.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Bull Snake View Post
    "They clearly have a desire to produce a well made product."

Thereby hangs the tale. FGI/Remington has no desire to do what is necessary to produce a well made product. They desire only to sell as many products as possible within the price point. Anything that drives cost of production up is not allowed. Hence we get guns that are all to often abominations. Changing locations won't change anything, changing the corporate mindset is the only solution. Don't hold your breath.
    I don't own or run a big company (which is fortunate, because I'm sure we'd be bankrupt in 6 months). It doesn't take a rocket scientist, though, to recognize a couple of very important things about the firearms business. Firearms buyers are accustomed to owning guns that are made to last a lifetime- and then some. They expect that if they buy a new gun, it should be pretty much perfect right out of the box. The design, workmanship, fit and finish, and even reliability must all be there right from jump street. If there is a problem, whether it's the first time out at the range with the new gun, or even 5, 10 or 15 years later, they expect customer service to take care of them.

The successful companies somehow find ways to do that AND sell their products at competitive prices.

The Freedom Group folks have chosen to ignore all that. Wonder why.
    Last edited by ditto1958; 06-11-2013 at 05:43 PM.
    gunscrewguy likes this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links