+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Vaunted "older" Marlin quality

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by hlr270 View Post
    I too have found that type of "quality" on several of my old marlins and mossbergs and rugers and..well you get the idea. We Americans are very good at convincing ourselves that things built inthe good old days were better then they are now. What a load that is and it does not matter whether were talking cars, firearms or any other consumer good (houses/buildings beeing the 1 exception) older rarely equates to better higher quality.
    I found out something interesting from a Japanese friend - all the Japanese autos we imported were 2nds. After the quality revolution in the 60's coutesy of Mr. Deming the Japanese market will not accept anything less than the very best. Their auto finishes are absolutely like a mirror with no hint or trace of orangepeel or distortion in the paint or underlying metal. Take a peek next time you're on a lot - or look at the vehicle you own. When the Japanese cars were eating the Big 3's lunch they desperately had to play catch-up. You see, they sneered at Mr. Deming's ideas on quality control when he spoke of them at industry events. The Japanese embraced his ideas - they even have a prestigious award named after him.
    W. Edwards Deming - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual.
    Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities."
    -- Ayn Rand

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    From 1986 to 2006 (07 mdl year) every Taurus/Sable sold in the world came out of the Hapeville, GA assembly plant the most efficient and highest quality plant in the "American" auto industry. Lessons learned there have led Ford to become not only competetive with their Asian counterparts but one of the only auto manufacturers not to need nor take government bailout/welfare funds. The folks that worked at that plant took pride in what they did and how they did it, unfortunatly that seems all to rare these days.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
    "...as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" Patrick Henry

Sidewinder
    Member #
    There is something a lot of folks forget, Marlin North Haven made millions of L/A rifles over the years. If they made 5 million rifles with a 2% "junk" ratio we're talking 100,000 "poor" rifles, of course that is to be expected as no mass-produced item is 0% defective.

In contrast, over the last 3 years Ilion has only produced maybe 150-200K rifles (just a guess. prob alot less) with many of them sub-par, actually, enough of them to warrant this "Rant" forum. The ratio of bad to good from Ilion is much higher.

The Internet has been around long before the Remington purchase. If there was a serious QC issue from North Haven we would of known about it for sure.

I won't dispute the fact that a lot people complain just to complain.

Dom
    XL-7 30-06 Serial # XL700002
    XS-7 .243
    336C - 30-30
    39A
    925M

Marlin Firearms Co. Employee 8/4/1986 - 2/15/2011

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    I'm loading some pics - I'm particularly interested in what think about the muzzle - do I need to re-crown?
    (forgive the wooly boogers - hasn't been cleaned yet and had it in a cloth bag.)

S90-20121231-014.jpg

Look at teh rough edge milling - looks like the cutter was worn and chattered
    S90-20121231-020.jpg

S90-20121231-021.jpg

The part you can't see is rough. Fit is very good.
    S90-20121231-024.jpg

All together - you can see what I already knocked down on the bolt. Ignore teh weird red reflection - my shirt.
    S90-20121231-025.jpg

So to y'all alluding to Btch & Moan - you think this work looks ok?
    -- Ayn Rand

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    Um...Not to stray this thread any further but there's a whole lot more to Deming and his ideas than just what is on the surface.

As to the Japanese deal, they also have insanely strict inspection standards and getting a license and owning a car are very expensive. The car comes cheap thanks to government backed incentives but owning and maintaining it is another matter. So it stands to reason their standards are very high. One to pass all the various inspections and two because it is a something of a luxury to own even the most basic car.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    Now, back to the subject at hand, Marlins.

More or less all my Marlins have what some might consider rough machining on the inside. From the 60's through 2009. But most of that don't mean squat. The sides of the lever don't contact much of anything that matters, the bolt more or less floats without contacting the receiver and so on. So I don't use that kind of stuff as judgment one way or the other for the new (or old) Marlins.

Now, wood that's an 1/8" too tall at the tang or has a 1/16" gap at the receiver, or feels like it was made from a whittled 4"x4", or levers that hardly move, or crooked front sights, dented mag tubes, scratched receivers, missing bluing, cracked wood, along with other things I have personally witnessed on Ilion guns are things I do hold in judgement.

My 2000 336W had a little notch in the lever where it contacts the bolt, a machining error most likely. Most would have never concerned themselves over it but I wanted it out and slicked up. Just a little hiccup that bugged me. So I sanded it out. I didn't bash Marlin for a shoddy product. I took it as one of them mass-produced, working man's guns type deals.

Not a single one of my Marlins has barrel bands that are easy to get off. I've always thought they were a tad too tight so I relieve them a touch on the inside before reassembly.
    eaglesnest likes this.

Sidewinder
    Member #

Vaunted "older" Marlin quality

Quote Originally Posted by BubbaJon View Post
    You misunderstand - this IS a (relatively) older Marlin. 1981 vintage.
    Oh, I'm sorry! I did misunderstand! I read poorly, and I apologize...
    Dennis
    Proud owner of a custom Marlin .308MX
    Even more proud to own a .444p
    Team 444 Member# 494

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Eli Chaps View Post
    Now, wood that's an 1/8" too tall at the tang or has a 1/16" gap at the receiver, or feels like it was made from a whittled 4"x4", or levers that hardly move, or crooked front sights, dented mag tubes, scratched receivers, missing bluing, cracked wood, along with other things I have personally witnessed on Ilion guns are things I do hold in judgement.

My 2000 336W had a little notch in the lever where it contacts the bolt, a machining error most likely. Most would have never concerned themselves over it but I wanted it out and slicked up. Just a little hiccup that bugged me. So I sanded it out. I didn't bash Marlin for a shoddy product. I took it as one of them mass-produced, working man's guns type deals.

Not a single one of my Marlins has barrel bands that are easy to get off. I've always thought they were a tad too tight so I relieve them a touch on the inside before reassembly.
    I've no complaint about the wood fit - my only niggle with fit is the butt plate spacer is a tad too small making a "dent" you can feel. I figgered it may have shrunk with age.
    -- Ayn Rand

Sidewinder
    Member #
    BJ, did you buy this rifle NIB?
    BTW, there is nut'n wrong with the milled finish. It's at least a 125 finish or better.
    LG

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy grits View Post
    BJ, did you buy this rifle NIB?
    BTW, there is nut'n wrong with the milled finish. It's at least a 125 finish or better.
    LG
    No - from a rancher here in Austin.
    I can see the parts inside being somewhat "sloppy" but those marks are more gouges and indicate poor tooling.
    I'm especially unimpressed with the end of the muzzle what kind of cutter leaves grooves like that? Then there's the question of finish on an external surface after it has supposedly been machined - crowned.
    -- Ayn Rand

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links