Skeeter Skelton, Elmer Keith, Jack O'Connor, Gene Hill, Jack Samson..AND YOU!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Skeeter Skelton, Elmer Keith, Jack O'Connor, Gene Hill, Jack Samson..AND YOU!

Tinhorn
    Member #

Skeeter Skelton, Elmer Keith, Jack O'Connor, Gene Hill, Jack Samson..AND YOU!

I didn't notice an old book thread. Please let me know if I am in error. But thought we could swap some short reviews or thumbs up on some of the older classic sporting writers.

I am currently reading Skeeter Skelton's Good Friends, Good Guns, and Good Whiskey. It is more or a collection of his columns written for magazines. But these are fantastic, if you are an outdoorsman, like to shoot or grew up a boy in the fields, farms or woodlands. Very well done, hard to find though. Was looking for a review of Elmer Keith's "Hell, I was there"...anyone read it?

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Dawei; 05-20-2017 at 08:36 AM.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Hey Flyrods,

"Six Guns" by Keith.

"The American Rifle" by Col. Whelen.

"No Second Place Winner" by Bill Jordan (one of the quickest men, to have ever lived)

Later, Mark
    Duty is the sublimest word in the English language. Every man should desire to do his duty, no man should desire to do less. Robert E Lee.

Marlinitis Symptoms: More Daily!

Active rescuer of Marlin Rifles, S&W revolvers, 1911's, Mil/Surplus rifles, shotguns.............

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I have and have enjoyed the Keith book, "Hell I was There". Some may think that he, like some others is full of bull, but face it he grew up in a different time place and there is enough verifiable info available to make that book worth the read and pretty believable.

A writing if your into cast bullets at all, is the little book by Veral Smith of LBT (Lead Bullet Technology) fame that has some interesting info. He got me started on a large meplat for the .44 and I have since have gone to the Wide Flat Nose cast bullet in the 45/70 with awesome results! "Jacketed Performance With Cast Bullets". It mostly covers the cast bullet process.

Also, If your into true Wild Cats to any degree, you might enjoy the book from Wolfe Publishing Company - ISBN: 0-935632-99-9 - that gives some back ground for "Rocky" Gibbs plus load data for his 30/06 based wild cats. Title, "Gibb's Cartridges and Front Ignition Loading Technique".

Rocky lived, as the crow flies less then 20 miles from what I call home and there are still Gibbs chambered rifles floating around here.

I liked Skeeter's writings.

I grew up reading Jack O'Conner and it was a bit of a shock to move close to Lewiston, Idaho - his home for many years - only to find that he put on his pants the same way I do. First thought that surely they couldn't be talking about, "my Jack".

Also of interest if you can find it is the history of the Speer brothers of Speer Bullets and CCI fame.

I knew Bill Stiegers of Bitterroot bullet fame, but don't know of any writings about Bill who died in recent years.

These were all interesting folk.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I have had a copy of HELL I WAS THERE along with SIXGUNS, LETTERS FROM ELMER KEITH and SIXGUN CARTRIDGES AND LOADS for many years, have read them all multiple times and always enjoy them and learn something I missed in previous readings. Also important to me is Elmer was a Brother Mason. Try any or all of his books I think you will find some worthwhile reading.COMPANY OF HEROES by Harry Carey , Jr. is another good one.I was lucky enough to get an autographed copy while Carry was still with us.
    Last edited by Travlin; 05-18-2017 at 11:04 PM.
    msharley, rob42049 and gunscrewguy like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I have read several of Kieth's book. Enjoyed them. Different times!
    msharley and rob42049 like this.
    R. Highhawk

Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth.

TEAMS 45-70, 30-30, 1894, Browning

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Here's another Lawman Jelly Bryce out of the 1930's. Very good read on the History of him and the the gangsters of that era.

https://www.policeone.com/police-his...nfighter-ever/
    msharley, kraynky and gunscrewguy like this.
    Team .30-30 # 390
    Old Pharts # 45
    Florida Marlin Owners
    Marlin 1973, & a 2003 .30-30's.
    Glenfield 1977, .30-30.
    If you come to take my guns, you better bring your own...

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I grew up reading OUTDOOR LIFE every month and always looked forward to Jack O'Connor's column. A couple letters were written to him and he always replied. He suggested that I buy a Savage 99 in .308 with 3X Weaver scope for my big game hunting. This turned out to be excellent advice. Jack was no fan of the 444 because of the thin jacketed 240 grain bullets used at the time. But I'm certain that he would be impressed by the modern performance shooting Speer's 270 grain bullet. Jack wrote kindly of the 30-30 cartridge as a reliable deer killer which was appreciated. His books live on within the used markets.

Sam Fadala is another writer whom I admire.

TR
    msharley likes this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    In addition to the above; I always enjoyed Ross Seyfried's writings. I also felt that from a technical perspective he really knew his stuff. And of course there's also Jeff Cooper.
    Jim
    Vooch likes this.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Thanks Coot! Those are some notes to work with. Although we may never know the truth to every story ...I heard first hand a very good one that I just like so much I want to believe it. This older and experienced gentle man I was buying some books from told me, Samson was friends with Chenault of the Flying Tigers. He said that Chenault had crashed a training plane in the Sangre De Christo mountains of New Mexico. From the story I heard, Samson was with him, and they were trying to land it to go fly fishing or trying to scout a fly fishing spot. I have no way of verifying it, although I was told the plane had been recovered. If it isnt true, maybe it should be. :-)

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Thanks msharley. Not familiar with that Whelen book. But have a couple of his, including the two volume 1940's set of design and ballistics. I like the way he writes.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links