+ Reply to Thread

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Ranger Model 34 (Marlin Model 65E)

Saturday at the range, a buddy I hadn't seen in awhile brought out his late father's old single-shot twentytwo rifle. It was marked "Ranger M34", and had what I recognized as a peepsight very similar to that of my 80DL.
    I checked the cross-reference list, and it was a Marlin Model 65/65A - the Gun Trader's Guide lists the Marlin 65 with open sights and the Model 65E with this peep sight. The rifle has a snobbled fore end and finger grooves, along with the pull cocking knob (also functioning as safety) marking it as typical thirties manufacture. The book gave it a low value - Less than $100 for NiB. This one is certainly "well used".
    It shot pretty well, though he was just plinking, not shooting on paper.

Anybody have any experience with this old rifle - stories or praises/gripes?
    A bold spirit embiggens the smallest man."

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

This is actually a pretty scarce rifle, being made from 1935 to 1937. That's the years for the model 65, and only a fraction of that small production was made for Sears as the model 34. While there's nothing in print, I believe it was discontinued and replaced by the model 100 for cost saving reasons. - The model 65/34 has the extra receiver cut for the bolt handle.

I recently bought a brick of Aguila 60 gr Sub Sonic ammo just to try something different, and my model 34 does well with it. It's also very quiet which would have applications for squirrel hunting. - I don't do much of that due to the dearth of trees in western Nebr. Well, except for the fat-a**es at the bird feeder in the back yard, but they're exempt from being shot at. SW
    f you got to shoot, Shoot! Don't Talk!

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Thanks for the info, NebrHogger! I'll let him know about the relative rarity of his rifle.
    A bold spirit embiggens the smallest man."

Tinhorn
    Member #

BOOK VALUES ??

I question the authors of any of the gun value guides.If this gun was "as new in box " any collector or half a$$ collector like myself would pay way over $100.00 to have a nice old .22. I think more people would do themselves a big favor to ask a fair "market value" for there guns.Show me a Mossberg that sells for $69.00 in 85% like the books says,it's not gonna happen.I really feel that the gun value books are written to the dealers advantage to buy guns cheaper from the uninformed.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

I also question the dollar amounts listed in the various gun value publications. I feel there are simply too many variables involved to be able to give a set amount. Some of those variables would be:

How quickly does the seller wish to rellieve himself of the gun?
    How badly does the buyer wish to possess it?
    What are the negotiating skills of the parties involved?

There could be quite a list made of the different things that factor into gun prices - possibly even which way the wind happens to be blowing. I participate frequently on the Marlin Collector's site, and I have discontinued the practice of commenting on prices. SW
    f you got to shoot, Shoot! Don't Talk!

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links