+ Reply to Thread

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Remington model 12 .22 pump gallery gun

Does anyone know anything about these & how long they were made? I'm trying to have one restored to working order, but it seems impossible to find parts? The gunsmith says that they made so many different models of this particular gun that he has make/take parts of all these other ones. He's basically turning it into a Frankenstien gun. He's had it for 4 months now & I'm getting a little peeved. Should I just say forget it & keep it as a nice wallhanger? I'm not gonna pay to fix it if it costs more than its worth. I've seen some at gun shows range from $150 (poor) to $800. Why can't one parts gun fix its internals? I'd really like some opininons on this please. Sorry for it being non Marlin, but this guy also tells me that forums & the internet are full idiots that don't know what they're talking about. While that may be true in some circumstances, I don't think EVERYONE is. Is he just being a jerk full of himself? This was after I said I had been doing some research online & going into gun forums.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    The Model 12 was made from 1909 to 1936 with somewhere in the neighborhood of 820,000 produced. There were quite a number of variations...at least six, probably eight or more, but I have no idea of the interchangability of parts.

Homestead Firearms has a webpage that should help you determine exactly which variation you have.
    Remington Model 12 History

Roe
    http://starspangledbannerchallenge.com/

"I never gave anybody hell. I just told the truth and they thought it was hell."
    Harry S. Truman

Member #
    Most the model 12 variations have full interchangeability. There was the 12CS that was in .22 Rem. Special caliber, and had a different carrier and chamber in the barrel, so a few parts wont interchange with other 12 models. Some had longer mag tubes, some halff mags, and some different shape barrels, round, octagon, half octagon. Engraved models, etc. It just depends on what parts your 12 needs, but most operational internal parts will interchange.
    Old Marlins, and Single Shot Rifles!
    http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Thank you so much for your reply & the link. If the gun can't be fixed I'd rather just leave it alone. Its been like that for almost 30 yrs anyway & was found in the closet of a house my Dad bought Up North.

Team 45-70 Big Buck Contest Winner 2013
    Member #
    great rifles and very fun to shoot. Don;t feel bad I am still searching for a rear sight for my fathers. I got a rear sight but it is not the rear sight that came with the rifle. It is a model 12 sight just not old enough,

Member #
    Are you looking for the one that has the screw elevator?
    Remington Model 12 front and rear sights with screws | eBay

Team 45-70 Big Buck Contest Winner 2013
    Member #
    That is the one I got for it at a gun show but in the picture that the guy had before he disassembled the rifle (and never put it back together) it had a barrel conture type rear With a bit of metal on each side. you can still see a bit of finish wear on the barrel at the rear sight area.

All the other parts and pieces were in the bag of parts and he gave us the pic's. the rear sight was not in the parts bag. He was going to refinish and restore but had a finance problem that I helped him with.

I am glad he never refinished it. It was about as good as a 100 year old farmers rifle gets. I guess some poeple just can't leave well enough alone. You can tell that it was that farmers favorite gun it was well taken care of for the 75 years he owned it. I have been offered a nice price for it and so has dad. Nothing fancy like engraved or anything like a short only gallery gun.

I am going to dads tomarrow so I will see if I can get a pic of it.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Thank you. I'm sorry I don't have a picture of it & I still don't have it to take a pic of. I went to pretty large gun show today & saw only one in not that great of condition, but too much money. I wouldn't mind getting one cheap for parts, but nothing is cheap anymore. The prices are sky high! I did see a Remington .22 stockloader that caught my eye, but $200... I don't know.
    I'd love to see the pics of your gun. Ours has the octogonal barrel & the mag tube is the long one to the end of barrel, dove tail English stock in cherry(?)wood. The regular fixed sights. I'd love to shoot it if its possible, but if not its a very nice looking gun anyway.

RGR
    Distinguished Master
    Fallon NV, Home base of TOPGUN, and other NAVY bad guy headaches.
    Member #
    As suggested, several variations exist, I suspect yours is a LR since you dont mention it being a SPECIAL, but those had three variations on the feed" throat" mechanism, and a buddy has looked for a long time to find the style he needs. They made tens of thousands of the 12, and I can hardly recall seeing one at a show, that simply wasnt beat to crap. Even worse than a typical ancient 1890 Win. They were work guns pure and simple at the time, and like an old thin blade pocket knife, they can have lots of problems. Since they were in the BP era of 22 shells, often the bores look like a sewer pipe.

the other most common missing part, and dont ever buy one without looking, is the feed ramp fitting between the mag tube and the barrel, right in front of the receiver. I would say a third of the guns are missing them. A third might be an exaggeration, but 10 percent would not be.

The smith is not shining you on. the parts are not all that scarce, but few smiths want to spend their own dinero on screws that may be 5 to 7 dollars each, and FPs that maybe 15 or $20 Shipping not included, for a gun that cant sell for 150 when the original owner neglects to pick it up.

With labor, and parts prices, many of the old worn classics are behind the power curve to fix up. Of course with some of these new off shore POS rifles, complete with plastic and pot metal construction, the old ones may have more value than some realize.
    The USA in 2014 ...Where we keep the deathly ill elderly alive on a machine, even if they want too pass, and yet abort a million unborn babies a year, that have no vote in the matter.

Its interesting that the media calls conservative protestors, "militia" and "domestic terrorists" while world wide and in the states liberal protestors are always called "students".

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links