+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Marlin Model 27 .25-20 Pump

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Marlin Model 27 .25-20 Pump

Hi. I have a questionabout a Marlin Model 27, 25-20 pump.

I have one of these pieces that I'm trying to establish a general value for.The condition is somewhere between G & VG - but certainly not factoryshinny. Still, it is over a hundred years old. The parts are original and ingood shape. The stock and forearm are in decent condition - the forearm has aslight crack between the screw heads but both pieces look very good. The screwsare intact and not missing or reamed out. The octagon barrel is inscribed"Special Smokeless Steel". Question:This appears to be a take-apart model... were there any of these or were theyall take-apart?

I've had this piece since the mid 70's - got it from a distant relative butdon't know any of the history behind it.

Anyone care to give a high/low price that you've seen these sell for in thelast few years?

Thanks,
    Max

Deadeye
    Member #
    Hello and WELCOME to the MarlinOwners forum, IMO its the best forum on the web for anything dealing with shooting..

I'm sorry I don't have the answers you are looking for.

The thing about this forum is the members here each have a great amount of knowledge but when you combine all of them in one place, will its a wonderful place to seek and get answers, find friends and just associate and converse with some really good down to earth, fine Folk's.

I am sure other members will be along shortly with the answers your questions.

Again Welcome Aboard...!!!

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    Max,

Well I also don't have all of the answers that you are looking for. But I will tell you what I know about my Marlin 27S.

Notice mine is a 27S and I think that you only mentioned yours being a model 27. So yours is probably older. If I remember correctly my 27S was made in the late WW1 timeframe, 1917 or 1918.

I paid $300 for my .25-20 model 27S oh about 5 years ago. I bought mine cuz it was in VERY good shape.

Upon learning more I realize that while mine was in great shape, great blueing, original stocks, everything is original except there was some sort of OLD aftermarket rear sight where the Hepburn rear sight was supposed to go! So that DECREASES value and desireability!

I wish mine had the old Rky Mtn rear sight.

So from what I've heard lately, for a Model 27 like you describe, probably less than the $300 I paid for mine.

You will find on these forums, guys like pictures to help in describing condition and value.

If you post some pictures some of the real experts will probably chime in with a $$$ number in mind.

By the way, I really like the .25-20 cartridge! I've got two of them, a Winchester 1892 to go along with the 27S and that .25-20 cartridge is very handy and versatile! Great choice for ground squirrels, rock chucks and coyotes out to 100 yrds or so.

That's my 2 cents worth and like others said, WELCOME ABOARD!

GEOFF

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    GEOFF,
    Thanks. That gets me started. Certainly, the value depends on many things and varies with condition, who, when and where (beauty is in the eye of the beholder - or in this case the holder - HA!). Yes, I should have included pictures - didn't think about that - try to do that next time. Again, I sure appreciate your input.

It's good to find a site of Marlin enthusiasts.

Max

Tinhorn
    Member #
    i haven't seen one go for less than 400, in the last couple of years, and i watch a lot of auctions. i have one myself....really like it.
    cable

Wrangler
    Member #
    I sold a 27S in .25-20 for $525 last fall.

.25/20Marlin

Member #
    It's great to see the 27 and 27S getting a little more respect out there!!

For quite a while they didn't seem to attract much interest and I kinda thought maybe I'd overpaid for mine at $300.

Maybe a good lesson, one might overpay a bit at time of purchase, but as the years slide by, it makes the deal look a lot better.

Thanks for the price info above.

GEOFF

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by GEOFF View Post
    Maybe a good lesson, one might overpay a bit at time of purchase, but as the years slide by, it makes the deal look a lot better.
    Yep, I bought my 1894 CCL in 2000 for what at the time seemed like an outrageous price. Everyone that knew what I paid for it thought I was nuts and to be honest, I was kind of wondering myself. Since then, I've seen 'em sell for over twice what I paid for mine on Gunbroker.
    GEOFF likes this.
    Marlins in 44-40. Whacking varmits since 1888

Team 44-40
    Team 1894

Member #
    44-40 Willy,

Good to see your post! You are another one of the old timers that probably remembers the old Marlin Talk. Remember the old Marlin company owned/run site That was a sad day when they said Marlin no longer wanted the site. Then we went to Marlin owners! What a job they've done over the years, what, over 20,000 members. Good to see!

Glad to see these Marlins holding their value. The first Marlin I ever bought was an 1897Texan about the same time frame as you are talking. I'll have to track some of those on Gunbroker, and see how they are doing!

GEOFF

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Looked for 25-20 WCF on line and at gun-shows for about 6 months. No Winchesters to be found for less than $1,400. Did find some Remington Model 25s in that caliber, but not for less than $950.00 in decent shape. Marlin Model 27s in 25-20 were going for not less than $850.00 to $950.00 in good condition. I finally found one for $650, where the buttstock had been replaced, but bore was a little rough. Bought it, and found the bore was just merely leaded badly. Cleaned it up and it's a good shooter.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links