+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marlin mod 36

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Marlin mod 36

Hello I have a chance of getting a Mod 36 adl 30-30 win it has a 24" barrel,the wood is in great shape lots of nice grain. No checkering
    Looks like somebody tried to re- case harden the action and part of the barrel . It has been drilled and tapped for scope, barrel in great shape,
    I know that it is not a collector anymore, after being d&t. Can I fire modern ammo out of the rifle. And can it be re-blued to get rid of case hardening
    on the barrel. MIKE

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    Casehardening on the barrel? The 36 wasn't casehardened anywhere, and especially not the barrel! If it really is casehardened then it will turn purple if it's hot blued over the hard surface. It would need to be rust blued, or annealed prior to bluing, if it's case colored. Cost would eat up a lot of bucks! Even if you got the 36 for less than $200, the cost of rust bluing or annealing and hot bluing would make the end gun more expensive than an unmolested original.
    On a sidenote; are you sure it's a real ADL, or just and ADL barrel on a std. 36? Marlin sent thousands of std. 36's out the door with barrels marked "36 ADL" and most weren't checkered. If it's checkered it should be real, otherwise it's just a ADL barreled 36.
    Old Marlins, and Single Shot Rifles!
    http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Does this rifle have a "B" prefix in the serial number? Does it have sling swivels with both front and rear attached with 2 wood screws and not inletted?

I have a book that says the 36 ADL Deluxe was case colored- but not the barrel.

M
    I am still clinging to guns and religion.

Life Member, NRA
    Life Member, AMVETs
    Life Member, Military Police Regimental Association

1893, 1894 CS, 1894 CB, 444SS, 39A Golden, 81 DL, 80 DL, Glenfield 30 "SC", 39M Octagon, and a 922M....

Wrangler
    Member #
    I cant say that I have ever seen a true Model 36 with a case-colored receiver.I sure wouldn't go
    so far as to say Marlin never made a Model 36 with the receiver case-colored either.The late Model
    93's and the early Model 1936's are very close to being clones with only minor differences as left over
    parts of the Model 93's were being used up in the assembly of the early Model 1936's.If you don't want
    to look silly when it comes to Marlin I try not to say the words never,didn't,wouldn't,were noted for,always
    leave yourself a little room to wiggle out of a statement.With that being said I have seen a few rifles with
    24 inch barrels checked fore-arm and stock,with the barrel marked 36 A. Having the B prefix to the serial
    number,the larger flat bottom fore-arm but the tang marked Marlin Model 1936 in two lines and having the
    shorter tang with the coil spring and they had case-colored receivers.Keep in mind that parts left on hand
    show up a lot latter than one would think.This falls true with many time with any company in the manufacturing
    world,not just Marlin or guns.Would a barrel that had been case-hardened be safe

Wrangler
    Member #
    Description for Item # 268094716
    Up for auction is a marlin model 36 pre-war manufactured circa 1940.The gun has beautiful case colors and wood is in excellent shape with some minor handling marks.Gun is serial number B8069 and it is chambered in .32 H.P.S.It comes with a period sight that was purchased off e-bay.This is a nice firearm and all original.All FFL rules apply.It's hard to find a better quality firearm since most of these guns were purchased to be used.Good luck with bidding and please check my feed back and you can bid with confidence.Please call or e-mail for additional pictures or questions.
    [Information added 1/2/2012 8:30:23 AM]
    I would like to add that this gun was purchased from a advanced Marlin collector at a high end collector show in Maryland.It is a collector grade gun in excellent condition.
    Pictures for Item # 268094716
    1:
    2:
    3:
    4:

Place a bid for Item # 268094716
    Marlin Pre-War Model 36
    BID
    Opening Bid: $500.00
    Minimum Bid: $500.00
    Maximum Bid:
    Autobid bids on your behalf up to your maximum.
    Buy Now!
    Use the Buy Now! button to end this auction instantly and make you the winner of the item.
    Price: $1,350.00
    ( Enter only numbers and use a decimal point (.) if necessary. Do not include any currency symbols ($) or commas. For example, to bid $1,050.25 enter: 1050.25)
    AutoBid will bid on your behalf up to your Maximum Bid which is kept secret from other users. AutoBid is our bidding proxy.

• Firearms may only be shipped to a licensed dealer (FFL Holder) - If you are not a licensed dealer, you must make arrangements with a dealer in your state to receive the firearm and transfer it to you. We maintain a list of transfer dealers willing to do transfers.
    • Your bid is a contract - Do not place a bid unless you are going to purchase the item. Contact the seller and ask questions BEFORE you place a bid. Ask what the seller's return policy and inspection period is, and ask for an estimated shipping cost BEFORE you place any bids. If you are the winning bidder, you will enter into a legally binding contract to purchase the item from the seller.
    • Once you become the Winner of the Auction:
      WITHIN 5 DAYS of the end of the auction you must contact the Seller and request payment instructions from the Seller.
      WITHIN 10 DAYS of the end of the auction, you must send FULL PAYMENT to the Seller, and ensure your FFL (if required) sends their signed copy of their Firearms License to the Seller
      If you do not complete these transactions in the prescribed timeframes you will lose your rights as the Winner of the auction, and the Seller may file a NON PAYING BIDDER (NPB) report against your account. NPB status can result in SUSPENSION of your privileges to use GunBroker.com.
    How to Bid
    1. Register to bid - if you are not already registered here. It's fast and free!

2. Check out the seller - review feedback comments left by other users who have dealt with this seller.

3. Know what you are bidding on - read the item description

Member #
    I'd like to see what the rollstamp reads under that tang sight.

Wrangler
    Member #
    There is a good chance the tang will be marked Marlin Model 1936 in two lines.
    More than likely the barrel will be marked Mod.36. Marlin is well noted for using
    up parts left on hand.More than likely the receiver was already marked Marlin
    Model 1936 before the Model number was changed to the Model 36.

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    If the barrel reads Model 36, that put's it as a post WWII gun. Pre-war guns didn't have the model number on the barrel.
    Marlins in 44-40. Whacking varmits since 1888

Team 44-40
    Team 1894

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by 44-40 Willy View Post
    If the barrel reads Model 36, that put's it as a post WWII gun. Pre-war guns didn't have the model number on the barrel.
    New to site.was wondering if you could help me with a model 36 front sight .The barrel is dovetailed and flattened on top. Currently has dovetailed ramp sight on gun.Not original.Placing rear peap on gun and sight is not tall enough.Would love to put a original sight on. Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Member #
    Haven't seen a post WWII 36 with a B prefix on the receiver yet.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links