+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1893 in .32-40

Tinhorn
    Member #

1893 in .32-40

I recently posted a note about this in the Non-Standard Calibers (hyphenated?) section . Came across a '93 in the used rifle rack at the LGS. It looked in very good shape - bluing and wood - almost unused. .32-40, "Marlin Safety" on top of the receiver, "For Black Powder" rolled in the octagon barrel just past the receiver. 26" (or so) barrel with half magazine, The rear buckhorn may have been replaced (didn't have my glasses) but looked like it said "Marbles" on it. The front bead had a flip-up/down ring around it. Did not get a chance to examine the bore - but imagine it is as nice as the rest of the rifle. Levergunz thought it was probably an early 1900s manufactured gun.

The store is asking $999 for this rifle - would be about $1100 out the door. Is this the going price for a nice '93? I have read much on this forum about the caliber and rifle and think it would make a great target piece. Might even try it for Cowboy Action long range side matches. I reload 38-55 and could make my own brass (from what I have read here) - although hoping Winchester would do another run.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. I have a few Marlins, although none this old. It would not be lonely in my safe.

OVW

Tinhorn
    Member #

Re: 1893 in .32-40

Marlin began offering the B Grade 1893 in 1903 . I passed one up a couple of years
    ago for $875.00 The books seem to price the B Grades at cheaper prices.I have
    wished several times I had picked it up.You dont see them often and they seem
    to bring prices right around the regular 1893

Gun Wizard
    Member #

It would be nice to get a look at that bore. It will make your decision a lot easier.

Tinhorn
    Member #

You are right Fred - went back today since I was going to that part of town anyway. All the rifles on the public "grab rack" have trigger locks and zip tied actions - sooooo ... found a salesman to get all that stuff off. The bore looks mint - inside the receiver also. It has been reblued and the wood refinished - not an amateur job - shows just a little wear. None of the screws are buggered up and the trigger seemed very crisp. The serial number started with a "C" and was 5 digits (the tang had "Model 93" on it instead of "1893" - read on another web site that would put it at 1915 to 1935). I am a shooter and not a collector - so the refinish does not bother me too much. Ended up putting it on hold so no one would scratch (or buy) it until I make up my mind.

For you Malinites with more experience than I, is this price in line with older Marlins (should probably put non-collectable in there due to the refinish)? Does anyone remember the last time Winchester did a run of brass? I would try to form some from .38-55 but would like to think eventually I would get my hands on head stamped .32-40.

Any words of wisdom to help me with my Marlinitis would be very much appreciated. Have not read anything on the 'net where a guy did not enjoy shooting his .32-40.

Thanks - OVW

Tinhorn
    Member #

Seems to be a nice rifle.Interesting to,I have never seen a B Grade in the later
    Model 93.That seems to answer my question as to if The B grade barrels ever
    made there way onto the 93's.Also I am courious if the serial number is located
    under the lever or on the bottom of the trigger plate and if I could ask one more
    question is the Barrel marked Co. or Corporation. At times Buffalo Arms offers
    32-40 headstamped brass.

Wrangler
    Member #

Hmmmm, an interesting rifle. What name did Marlin use on the barrel. It could be an earlier WW1 rifle that was finished up later on. If so this would be the 2nd one I have run across. Also the first "black powder only". When you say 5 digits in the serial number would that include the letter C? One last thing, the .32-40 is a scarce caliber in the Model 93.
    'am that man. Matt Dillon United States Marshall. The first man they look for and the last they want to meet.

Tinhorn
    Member #

Thanks for the replies! The serial # was under the lever - I am sure it had the letter "C" and five digits. I don't recall if it was rolled Co. or Corporation on the barrel. I take it this changed around the time of WWI. I'm not sure what a Grade B is. Does this have something to do with barrel length, the half-magazine, that fact that it is octagon, or marked "Black Powder?" My guess is the latter since "smokeless powder" was on the scene by WWI.

I appeciate the thoughts and questions. The refinish makes it look nice -rarity would make it a conversation piece - all the while I was shooting it.

Wrangler
    Member #

If it has Marlin Firearms Corporation on the barrel than the barrel was made after 1921. The Model 93 is after 1921 to 1935. Grade B is "black powder only" on the barrel. From that I would assume the marking on the barrel will be Marlin Firearms Co. or something similiar. So if you get the rifle pictures will be in order.
    'am that man. Matt Dillon United States Marshall. The first man they look for and the last they want to meet.

Tinhorn
    Member #

The grade B introduced in the Model 1893 in 1903, It was offered at a cheaper
    price than the standard model. It was listed as having a blued receiver instead
    of case colored.The barrel is made of the cheaper softer steel as the first model
    1893's that came out in 32-40 and 38-55 which at the time were Black Powder
    cartridges.One might think these were left over barrels that Marlin wanted to
    use up.Black Powder seemed to stay around till about the time of WWI as it
    was much easier to reload.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links