+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Repro Tube Scopes

Anybody ever seen or used the antique reproduction tube scopes made in Japan? I am aware that Tasco had a couple in their line in the mid 80's. I bought a 3/4" tube marked :

Ruko
    4 X 15
    JAPAN

There are no other markings on it. It came with rings and bases that look like plumbers fittings- brass/bronze castings. Eleveation adj. is by a screw arrangement between the rear base, and the the rear ring. Windage adj. is by drift method of the dovetail in the front base. I was surprised to see the high quality of the lens coatings. The coatings look identical to the green/blue coatings on the old Nikkor camera lenses. It is about 18" long and has a 3/4" tube. The image is incredibly sharp, even at 10 ft. Eye releif is quite long for a tube this small- about 3 3/4". It has brass caps that thread into the ocular and objective ends. The reticle is a plain fine cross hair.

The Ruko name is not new to me- I have a Squires/Bingham .22 that is roll stamped "Imported by Ruko", and also have a couple of Ruko knives.

Any one know who the manufacturer was? I could find nothing about these scopes on the Ruko website....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail
    "If you are under 25, and not a Liberal, you have no heart. If you are over 25, and not a Conservative, you have no brain."

-Winston S. Churchill

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Repro Tube Scopes

Wow Doc, that's a new one on me. I try to stay up on most of the old US scope makers, but I can't tell you who made the Ruko scopes.
    I do have some friends who are also into scopes and collecting. I'll try to get you an answer.
    mm93
    Old Marlins, and Single Shot Rifles!
    http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Repro Tube Scopes

MM93-

Did a bit of reading, and found a listing for a Tasco "1903 Tube Scope" in the '83 Gun Digest. The description is awfully close to what I have- too bad there are no pictures of it. It is listed as being correct for the Stevens 72 Crackshot, and also the Gallagher (?) rifle.

I have it mounted on my No. 20 Marlin slide action rifle- a sweet looking set up except for the rings and mounts. I'd prefer to use something a lot less chunkier looking on that tiny rifle. Guess I'll have to start looking for a set of the old Stevens micrometer type mounts.... Lotsa fun anyways getting it set up on the 20....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail
    "If you are under 25, and not a Liberal, you have no heart. If you are over 25, and not a Conservative, you have no brain."

-Winston S. Churchill

Member #

Repro Tube Scopes

Doc,
    Are the mounts a cast brass with an octagon shape? Are they in a somewhat rough cast finish on the outside? If so, then I think you're on the right track. The Tasco repro scopes used that style mount. The rear adjusted elevation with a single stud and locknut, while the front was a dovetail for windage, with set screws to hold the windage in place.
    Vall

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Repro Tube Scopes

Vall-

That's the set up mount wise, all right. The semi-octagonal rings are rough cast on the outside- almost to the point of being bronze. The inside radiuses of the rings have been finely finished with a very small area actually contacting the tube. The front dove tail lock screws are incredibly tiny- I had to buy a jeweller's screw driver in order to get the tube halfway bore sighted. I'm not altogether too sure on the correct setup for the elevation lock nut- there is a large lock nut with tiny lock screws, and a smaller "plain" nut. I have the lock nut up against the top of the base, and the smaller plain nut against the ring. The rear mount arrived in a disassembled state- it may have vibrated apart during shipping. I had to guess at the assembly.... I can't wait to get out and give this rig a try. I took some pictures with my old Nikkormat and will try and get them up on the board if they turn out half decently!

Regards,

Ross

-Winston S. Churchill

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Repro Tube Scopes

I have some photo's up in the Marlin Owner's Gallery. I can't for the life of me figger out how to get em over here, so you'll have to go to gallery to view 'em.

Larry- let me know if my pix create a bandwidth problem and I'll delete 'em....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

-Winston S. Churchill

Tinhorn
    Member #

Repro Tube Scopes

Here you go Doc. The scope looks good with your Model 20

Must have been tired last night to post the thumbnails instead of the full sized images. These are better for viewing

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Repro Tube Scopes

Thanks a bunch Tom! I'll get this thing figgered out sooner or later!

Regards,

Ross

-Winston S. Churchill

Member #

Repro Tube Scopes

Doc,
    That's a Tasco made scope, as sold by Navy Arms, among others. The large locknut goes up against the rear scope mount, then the adjusting screw goes through the base, and the small nut goes underneath the rear base to lock it to the base.
    I have a similar setup on my Remington Hepburn that I built up earlier this year. I was not too enamered with the heavy rough cast octagon mounts, so I went to wrk on them with my mill and lathe. Got them smoothed up, slimmed down, and changed those tiny front screws to a allen set screw type, to make them easier to deal with.
    That scope really looks great on your Marlin pump. Very period and nostalgic! Here's a picture of mine on my Hepburn project rifle.
    Vall

These scopes came in the two lengths we have. I'm not sure, but the last time I checked, Navy Arms still listed them in their catalog. The shorter scope was about $175, while the longer one was around $225. Haven't checked in awhile, so not sure anymore.

Member #

Repro Tube Scopes

Checked Navy Arms site, and they still show them on the rifles they sell, but the site is undergoing changes, so they don't show the parts catalog with scopes anymore. I'm guessing they still sell a similar scope, as the one's on their rifles look identical.
    Vall

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links