+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Deadeye
    Member #

Thoughts on this Marlin 1893 in 38-55?

I came across this Marlin 1893 in 38-55 and as I'm not terribly familiar with 1893's, I thought I would ask the forum's collective wisdom on the originality and reasonable value of this rifle.

Judging by the pictures (I wish I had some better closeups), the metal looks to be in original condition along with the front and rear sights. I'm curious if those are faded case colours on the receiver?

The stock is what I'm really curious about. I would have expected a rifle-length barrel to have a crescent buttstock, but this rifle has a carbine buttstock. Was this a factory option or a replacement stock? What about the originality of the stock finish? The light colour makes me think it may have been refinished and the closeup also seems a little too shiney for the factory finish. If it was refinished, it fortunately doesn't look to have been sanded much (although it's hard to tell from the far away picture). What's your opinion?

The seller is asking $450, but did not indicate the barrels condition. Assuming it's got a reasonable bore, this seems like a good price for a shooter with a refinished stock --- even better if the rifle is untouched.

Wrangler
    Member #

Re: Thoughts on this Marlin 1893 in 38-55?

IMHO $450 is a reasonable price for the rifle. If I was in the market I would buy it based on the assumption it has a half way decent bore.
    'am that man. Matt Dillon United States Marshall. The first man they look for and the last they want to meet.

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #

No doubt that the stock was refinished, +1 on the bore condition and 450 is a lot less than anything new.
    Life NRA
    USN-Iron Men on wooden Ships, minesweepers.
    MSO 488 and MSO437
    Team 45-70 #394
    Team 39 #96
    Team 60 #35
    Team Old Pharts #44 "Pharty-Four"
    Life member RMEF
    American Legion

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

That's the correct "S" butt plate used on later production rifles. Do you know the serial number? Stock finish is probably correct, too; Marlin used varnish. In this day and age I guess $450 is a pretty darn good price. (I had a British-proofed "B" model just like this one, although earlier production - had the hard rubber shot gun butt plate. Paid $40.00 for it - back in 1964!)

Distinguished Master
    Member #

With a decent bore, it's worth $450.
    Marlins in 44-40. Whacking varmits since 1888

Team 44-40
    Team 1894

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Silver,

Judging from the condition of the metal, I'd say that the stocks have been refinished. But I'd sure like marlinman93's opinion. Sure they look lighter in color but I see a bit of streaking wear on them too, but 80% chance they are refinished.

BUT still that is one fine rifle, as long as the bore is OK!! $450 sure seems reasonable. I like the fact that it appears to have factory correct sights on it. The elevator looks correct to me too!!!

I have a .30-30 1893 Marlin and the buttstock is like this one you are asking about. Mine is serial number 336,XXX which makes it in the 1905 time frame if I remember correctly!

I know that if this rifle that you are referring to was in my neck of the woods and the BORE WAS PRETTY DECENT, I'd snap that baby up. Looks pretty darn good to me especially for $450.

My humble 2 cents worth!
    GEOFF

Gunfighter
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Leck
    That's the correct "S" butt plate used on later production rifles. Do you know the serial number? Stock finish is probably correct, too; Marlin used varnish. In this day and age I guess $450 is a pretty darn good price. (I had a British-proofed "B" model just like this one, although earlier production - had the hard rubber shot gun butt plate. Paid $40.00 for it - back in 1964!)
    +1 I have 3 1893s with the S buttplate, the pics aren't real clear, its hard to tell if wood is refinished, its not sanded. I think its one fine Marlin for the money!

Clark

Sidewinder
    Member #

Cowboy Lever Silhouette shooter would snap it up under 500. New 38/55's are higher if you can find one. Thats if the bore will shoot even if it won't many pay 500 and go another 300 for a reline. Collectors would balk at the finish but makes no difference to a shooter

Boats

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

If the stocks are refinished, they don't appear to have been over sanded, if at all. The finish on the buttstock appears to have some "texture" that might be brush strokes, or orange peel. This could be that it's newer.
    The round barrel, S buttplate, seem to indicate a later gun from just before or after WWI. A very good by at $450 for sure, even if the bore isn't perfect.
    Old Marlins, and Single Shot Rifles!
    http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/

Deadeye
    Member #

Thanks very much everyone for your opinions on the rifle, I really appreciate it. While I have a couple of antique rifles, I don't get to see a lot in person, so I'm always curious to know if my judgement based on pictures is correct. Hopefully you guys will be happy to know that I purchased the rifle as I think it's hard to go wrong for $450. It'll be here some time next week, so when it arrives, and once the rain stops, I'll get some nice natural daylight photos and some closeups and update this thread.

Much appreciated,
    Stirling

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links