Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Safe Loads for Black Powder 1893 38-55

7K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Yellowhouse 
#1 ·
I finally got to shoot my newly inherited Marlin 1893 black powder rifle over the weekend using Buffalo Arms 245 grain, black powder ammo after a lot of cleaning ect. I dont think it had been fired in probably 30 years.
Anyway, I am intending to hunt with this rifle and would like to use smokeless cartridges if possible. I found some game loads in smokeless powder with a FL 260 grain bullet producing 1675 fps. Does anyone know if this is an acceptable cartridge for this rifle or are the pressures to high. Thanks for any information.
Luke

#2 ·
If its a BP barrel I wouldn't use jacketed in it but a couple probably wont hurt it. Are they lead bullets? 1600 seems a bit fast.
You need to start reloading. ;)

#3 ·
Even if it had the smokeless barrel I wouldn't shoot a lot of jacketed in it. Neither Marlin nor Winchester had the steels we do now and its just not worth it.

Get a copy of Ken Waters Pet Loads and look up the various smokeless loads he lists for the various actions. Yours has the same action as any 93 but the barrel is of lesser strength. I'd think anything around 1400 fps with lead bullets would be OK. With a 260 gr bullet about 19grs of AA5744 will give you blackpowder velocities.

#4 ·
I'd never shoot a cartridge that's traveling that fast in any of my 1893's, regardless of vintage. That's pretty stout round for a gun that old. I keep mine at a mx of around 1500, but most the time I use something between 1350-1400 fps. and always cast lead. I can tell you from personal experience that a 245-255 gr. cast lead bullet at around 1400 fps will take deer easily if the shot is good.

#5 ·
Sorry, I forgot to mention that they are not jacketed lead bullets. The other option from Ten X ammo is a 245 grain at 1465 fps again lead bullets with smokeless powder, which it sounds like might be a better option. Also, is there any downside to shooting smokeless powder in a blackpowder rifle, is it less accurate ect.
As for loading my own that is in the plans for the future, but I just dont have the time at the moment.
Thanks again for the help.
Luke

#6 ·
I have a 1893 PG TD Marlin 38-55 SN#133xxx early gun. It is not marked special
smokeless steel on the barrel. I owned this gun for over 10 years now. It has a
mint bore & I can usually clean it with less than 5 patches when done shooting.
I favorite load is 30 grains of IMR3031 & a 265 grain cast bullet sized to.380
with a gas check base. I have shot this gun countless times & the bore still shines
like a new dime when I clean it. I do not think it hurts an old Marlin to shoot
good loads in it provided they are in good mechanical shape. This load usually
chronographs out to 1750 fps. I have other older Marlins that will do the same thing.
My first consideration when I look at a old Marlin for is the condition of the bore.
This tells me a lot how the previous owners took care of it. I am a firm believer
in prompt cleaning of guns after shooting.

#8 ·
Loads in the upper realm of 1600 fps and faster in the 1893! Don't be surprised down the road if you start to develop some headspace problems if you shoot a lot. This is especially an issue with using modern 30-30 ammo in a rifle designed and build with steels to shoot ammo of the period that ran around 1800-1900 fps.

YMMV

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.