+ Reply to Thread

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Marlin Model "92"

Hello all,

I am new to the MOG sight but I will not be a stranger here,It is a very usefull, informative and helpful sight.
    Many years ago I inherited a .22 caliber model "92" which has a case colored receiver,it is also drilled and tapped
    on the tang for what I believe to be a tang/peep style sight.

The serial number has no prefix letter and is stamped into the receiver bottom between the foregrip and the trigger
    guard. It is 361xxx. On top of the tang appears Marlin Model "92". The wood is stained with a reddish tint and
    appears to be black walnut.

Sometime after the mid 1950's the rifle was rebarreled with a Marlin Golden 39A Micro Groove barrel.The butt-
    stock appears to be hard rubber, is checkered and is worn but I can still see Marlin Safety in the margin of a circle
    that is raised and near the center.

I have been shooting only .22 shorts in it for the last 30 odd years and it shoots straight and true with a silky
    smooth lever. I believe because of it's age I will stop shooting this gun mainly because if something in the
    receiver breaks I may have trouble finding replacement parts.

I wonder if anyone here could give me an approximate value or if it is even collectable because of the rebarelling?
    I will try to take and post some pictures in the coming days,I know it may help in evaluating the rifle for worth.

Thanks in advance,

Sidewinder
    Member #

Re: Marlin Model "92"

The re-barrel killed any collector value.

It's worth is based on the rifle as a "shooter" only now.

Very hard to value any rifle without seeing it and the re-barrel makes it even more difficult.
    [tt]Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.[/tt]

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Really a very sad situation. If your 92 Marlin does indeed have a factory case colore receiver, it is a very rare gun! The std. finish on the '92 Marlin was blued, so any cased '92 is a special order rarely seen.
    As mentioned, the value is strictly as a shooter now, and probably down around the average 39a price.
    Old Marlins, and Single Shot Rifles!
    http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Thanks for the info,I figured as much but it's still nice to know. Guess i'll just keep popping .22 shorts
    with it. Oh and smiling everytime I go shooting with it

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links