+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Stevens 425 High Power - Mentioned in Brophy's Marlin Book

Hi,

In Brophy's "Marlin Firearms" book, he has a small section on the Stevens 425 High Power lever rifle. He claims that because of the success of the Marlin and Winchester guns, Stevens only manufactured about 1,000 of these rifles from 1910 to 1917. However, the Blue Book and several other publications say that 26,000 were made (which I don't believe).

I'm trying to list as many serial numbers for known Stevens High Power rifles as possible. So far I have only 31 guns on my list, but lots of people are helping. If you have a Stevens High Power lever gun, or know someone who owns one, please post your serial number and the caliber of your gun.

Peter

Wrangler
    Member #

Re: Stevens 425 High Power - Mentioned in Brophy's Marlin Book

What is your highest serial number so far? If 1000 guns were made and you have 31 serial numbers that means you have 3.1% of the serial numbers. You should be able to see a trend. Of course the more numbers you have the clearer the picture will be.
    'am that man. Matt Dillon United States Marshall. The first man they look for and the last they want to meet.

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Exactly! The more numbers, the clearer the picture. The lowest number so far is 1050 in .35 Rem, and the highest is 5594 in .32 Rem. However, in a letter from Savage, they state that the Stevens High Power production figures are combined with another gun, for a total of 11,500 guns, and they can not separate the two. They also say that no records prior to 1912 exist anymore. Without knowing the starting serial number or the ending serial number, or if the Stevens High Power was numbered consecutively, makes it tough. From the serial numbers we've found, it could be reasoned that perhaps 5000 guns were manufactured, starting with 1000 and ending with 6000, but that would indicate a very low survival rate. But if they were not numbered consecutively, then what? As you said, the more numbers, the clearer the picture.

Peter

Wrangler
    Member #

If the serial numbers are mixed in with another rifle that will make the job a lot tougher. You may need to do both guns. That way maybe a ratio will develop over time and give you a better handle on how many High Powers were made. Also if the guns were made in blocks of serial numbers it might show up quicker. I'm doing the same thing with certain groups of Marlins but the ones I'm doing at least have their own serial number ranges and that makes the job easier.
    'am that man. Matt Dillon United States Marshall. The first man they look for and the last they want to meet.

Gunfighter
    Member #

I have #1724 in 32cal and it is a plain jane.

Clark

Wrangler
    Member #

#1724 what? I'm all ears for the data off the rifle and the description.

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by cj57
    I have #1724 in 32cal and it is a plain jane.

Clark
    Clark, thanks for the information on your gun. From your description, I figure you have the Model 425 which was the standard grade rifle.

The fancier guns were the 430 with a fancier grade of wood, the 435 with the fancier wood plus checkering and engraving on the receiver, and the 440 with the fancier wood, more checkering, and more elaborate engraving over the entire receiver. All the guns had a 22 inch barrel, and a 3/4 length magazine. Four Remington calibers were offered: .25, .30. .32, and .35. I doubt that very many of the fancier guns were actually manufactured.

Peter

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

I have a Model 425 in 30 Rem with a 22" barrel S/N1206

Distinguished Master
    Member #

Thanks Detroitslim. That's the first one I've seen a decent pic of. The action looks kinda like a Marlin.
    Marlins in 44-40. Whacking varmits since 1888

Team 44-40
    Team 1894

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Detroitslim, thanks for the serial number and caliber info on your High Power. Also great photos - thanks!

44-40 Willy, yes the receiver does look a lot like a Marlin (I think that's why Brophy included it in his Marlin book) but the action is much different.

Please keep the numbers coming!

Peter

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links