+ Reply to Thread

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

I BROUGHT THAT 27-S HOME

I went ahead and purchased that Marlin 27-S today. Brophy's book says most 27's have the serial number prominently placed. However some are under the stock on the side of the tang. Mine is such a piece. Serial number is 17593 with the same number stamped into the wood of the buttstock.

This little sweetheart truly is in GREAT condition! Shoots really well too being slightly muzzle heavy with that octagon barrel.

I don't think the receiver sight on it is a Hepburn. Thanks for the heads up about the picture Wishbone. I would say the sight is a Marlin peep of some kind. It is adjustable for windage and elevation.

COULD SOMEONE GIVE ME THEIR BEST GUESS AS TO THE YEAR IT WAS MADE PLEASE? Notice I capitalized that so you wouldn't miss my question. I also need the true background on which Marlins they know dates of manufacture and which years they don't.

Thanks for the encouragement to go ahead and get it.

Geoff

Wrangler
    Member #

I BROUGHT THAT 27-S HOME

Hi Geoff

Congratulations. I believe you made a wise choice. Marlins in the kind of condition that your Model 27S is in are hard to come by. You have seen the information in Brophy's book. The Model 27S was made from 1913 to 1932. Take out the years for WW1 and the years before 1922 and the small numbers made my the Marlin Rockwell Corporation. The highest known serial number is in the 61000 range. So averaging I would say your rifle was made sometime right before WW1. No way to know for sure just a guess. Parley
    'am that man. Matt Dillon United States Marshall. The first man they look for and the last they want to meet.

Member #

I BROUGHT THAT 27-S HOME

Thanks Parley,

I finally got ahold of the previous owner and for sure that is NOT a Hepburn sight. In fact, he bought that sight at a yard sale in a whole box full of various gun parts. He made it to fit the existing screws on the top of the receiver. The sight works very well though it neither adds nor detracts from the value of the rifle.

I sure appreciate the guess as to the year it was made. I think you are right in the ballpark. The barrel address is Marlin Firearms Co. instead of Corporation. Apparently there were a lot of barrels marked with the Corporation. I still need to do some careful reading to get to know all the details of the 27-S, which is half of the fun isn't it.

I wish I had a digital camera and I would show you all a picture. Kaintuck didn't you say you had a pump .25-20? If so which one is it again.

$325 was still a good deal I hope.

Geoff

Wrangler
    Member #

I BROUGHT THAT 27-S HOME

$325 was a great deal on that gun.
    Look at it this way - it isn't going to do anything but appreciate in value.
    Plus they are so darn fun to shoot.
    WB
    MARLIN - The Gun For The Man Who Knows"

Deadeye
    Member #

25-20 pump

geoff.......
    i have one of the older 25-20 1894's, oct bbl. i shoot the rem 85gr w/8gr 2400. good tight shooter with this load. i envy your new purchase! i have always thought the were nice little pumps, and with a tang sight, they are positively cute!
    my 25-20 will shoot flat out to 125yds, hits harder than a 22mag! and is just plain fun! when i reload tho, i bell the mouths slightly with the decapper/expander from my 7.5x55 die, the bullets will seat w/o cruching the brass!
    i think you will like your new rifle
    ike a one eyed tom cat.....

Member #

I BROUGHT THAT 27-S HOME

Geoff,
    Still a great deal, and the previous owner was very considerate to make the sight fit existing holes, rather than add more as some have done. I think it adds to the value of your gun, just because it was done properly. Nobody will ever say, "Who drilled the extra holes in this fine gun?" so you've got a great gun, with a nice sight in the correct holes!
    The 27's are one of the finest little pistol caliber pump guns ever made. The others, which are rarer, are not nearly as well made.
    Old Marlins, and Single Shot Rifles!
    http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Re: I BROUGHT THAT 27-S HOME

Quote Originally Posted by GEOFF
    Thanks Parley,

I finally got ahold of the previous owner and for sure that is NOT a Hepburn sight. In fact, he bought that sight at a yard sale in a whole box full of various gun parts. He made it to fit the existing screws on the top of the receiver. The sight works very well though it neither adds nor detracts from the value of the rifle.

I sure appreciate the guess as to the year it was made. I think you are right in the ballpark. The barrel address is Marlin Firearms Co. instead of Corporation. Apparently there were a lot of barrels marked with the Corporation. I still need to do some careful reading to get to know all the details of the 27-S, which is half of the fun isn't it.

I wish I had a digital camera and I would show you all a picture. Kaintuck didn't you say you had a pump .25-20? If so which one is it again.

$325 was still a good deal I hope.

Geoff
    I hope you got a digital camera by now

Just wanted to ask if you ever discovered what kind of sight that was
    A firearm should be a tool in the hands of a deadly weapon, not a deadly weapon in the hands of a tool.
    Team Levermatic #001 http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/gr...evermatic.html

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links