+ Reply to Thread

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Marli model 27 s, 25 rimfire rifle

My good friend inherited this excellent condition rifle from his father a few months back.;I say excellent even though antique and it shows honest wear but absolutely no abuse or even surface rust.Even the bore is shiny with distinct rifling ad we havent even run brush down the bore ts in the process pf soking for a few days n hoppes#9 before we run .25 cl bush throughit.The rifles really not his cup of tea but he really doesnt care to sell at the blue book prices.It features an octagon bbl with a deep blue remainng and it hasent been reblued or stock refinished which is also in very good exc condition with good percentge of original finish remainig.It must be std model with a crscent buttplte no chdkering just a ribbing effect on the forearm wood.Mechanical problems are as follows,it appears to be missig the mainspring or hammer spring and the safety button is mising with justa screw in its plce.Ive sen these parts available rather cheaply in the Numrich catalog and othet than a slightly bent rear buckhon site That all the issues it has.Problem is the caliber! i imagine the 25RF ws an excellent fur rifle cartridge.Rear sight easily starightened with abit of heat and pressure other repairs no sweat.The problem is to getting it back doing why it as designed to do,take small game.Any help/ ideas? Thanks grndpndr

Naturally its got alot of hstory behind it but not family hstort so a caliber mod would probably be acceptable
    93 Inf Brigade, 3/5 Co A (ABN)"Moatengators"
    82nd Abn Div. 1/508, CSC Co
    '76'-'

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Re: Marli model 27 s, 25 rimfire rifle

I haven't seen .25 RF (Stevens) ammo offered for a long time. Best bet would be to haunt gun shows lookin for it. It is pricey stuff when it can be found. Old Western Scrounger is one of the places you can look on-line. Maybe some one else here has a source. Good luck..

Regards,

Doc Sharptail
    "If you are under 25, and not a Liberal, you have no heart. If you are over 25, and not a Conservative, you have no brain."

-Winston S. Churchill

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Thanks Doc, I figured ammo would be virtually unavailablen or very high priced i ws just wondering if perhps the rifle could be relined to a different caliber say 22wrf,25/20,32/20.Reason i ask is i noticed the RF bolts etc are identical between 25/20 - 25RF they just have different FPs to fit the bolt and the tube feed has interchangeable inserts to accomodte different calibers in the cartridge tube.That doesn't take into account feed problems but it would seem the major issues may alredy be dealt with otherwise that beutiful antique is destind for a wallhanger just not what it was designed for when you throw it up to your shoulder.(I seem to drift back near 100 yeras in time shouldering the weapon.)Its near magic!Does anyone know a skilled marln antique smith?
    '76'-'

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

About all you can do (as far as rechambering) is to make it something similar in size and rim. The options are limited, as the case length and rim mean it must be close to the .25RF, or it wont feed, or cycle. The .22 magnum is close, but it needs to be relined to .22. I'd guess the firing pin would be very close, and not need to be reworked too.
    The various .25-20, .32-20 wont work as the mag tube is different on the .25RF version, plus the bolt wont work, and the firing pin. The .22WRF is almost as hard to find as the .25 RF, so I'd steer clear of it.
    I have a Ballard in .25RF, and I bought 8 boxes of the Cannuck ammo from a friend, just so I could shoot it once in awhile. When the ammo is gone, I'll either set it up, or reline it to .22 LR.
    Old Marlins, and Single Shot Rifles!
    http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Thanks for the replys though a real dissapointment! i guess hell just fix the mechanical problems and have a fine wallhanger/coversation piece. Thanks again men.
    '76'-'

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links