Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Model 47 pump

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  theguncellar 
#1 ·
Ran across and brought home this rifle but don't see much information on it. According to Brophy the only way to get them originally, was by buying stock in Marlin. It's built to shoot S, L and LR. The only thing missing is the butt plate but the rest is in good shape for it's age. Serial Number puts it 1930-1 time frame. It doesn't feed all the above rounds, have tried CBs, subsonics and normal .22 rounds through it. Have got a real good collection of different types and makes of .22 ammo going. Also have some old Winchester pumps - models 61, 61A and 62. Learned how to shoot with pump .22s and like the little guys. Would like to get the Marlin up to snuff. :( Any suggestions on a gunsmith that is good with the pumps?
Appreciate the help.

#2 ·
You may already know this, but the model 47 is just a deluxe version of the model 20, or 20a. With it's casehardened frame, and checkered buttstock, they were very good looking guns. parts for the model 20 variations will work fine, if you can find someone with these. I would guess offhand you might have a carrier problem, and that would be where I would start looking.
Curious how you came up with the 1930-31 time frame? These guns are tough to pin down, as there are no records, and nobody knows what serial number they started with. According to Brophy, the lowest number is 12xx, but without knowing where they started, or how many were made, a date is pretty hard to pin down.

#3 ·
Hello everyone, a newbie here, I just bought three Marlin rifles today, a model 27-S in 32-20, a model 38 22 cal, and the one you are talking about here a 47 in 22 cal and my serial number is 2851, there is a dovetail cut in the bottom of the barrel half way between the muzzle and the top of the mag tube that has a dovetail plug in it, does anyone know if you could get this rifle with a full mag tube?
Thanks
James Davis
www.collectablearms.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.