+ Reply to Thread

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Looking for Marlin model 1893 Disassembly Instructions

I just bought my first big bore Marlin. It's an old model 1893 made in 1904. I would like to take it apart to clean it up. Does anyone have the disassembly instructions they could share? Thanks in advance.

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Well.....I got it apart, all except for being able to remove the forearm and the end-plug on the magazine (screw is out, but the plug appears to be frozen). I have the forearm end cap off and the lever/lower-frame assembly removed, but the forearm won't budge. Any ideas for the magazine end-plug and forearm? I assume the forearm pulls straight down away from the barrel??

Also, on reassembly (haven't started that yet), it appears it might be a problem getting the hammer spring back in place as you insert the screw through the hammer body. Any tips on this?

Thanks guys!

Site Contibutor Super Moderator
    Member #

Its very simple really & basiclly the same as a modern Marlin.
    If you open it 1/2 way & remove the lever screw the lever will come out the bottom. Turn the gun bolt side up & pull the bolt out the back of the gun, turn it over & catch the ejector.
    Take out the tang screw & yank the stock. Remove the main spring screw & spring.
    Remove the hammer screw, the screw on the bottom by the barrel & the screw on the lower left side. The trigger plate should come out after that.

Moveing to the front, take out the screws in the forend tip & slide it a little forward, take out the screw under the muzzle end of the mag tube. Carefully pull the muzzle end of the tube down until clear of the stud, taking care not to let the end cap fly across the room, & the tube with the wood should come off.

Just go slow, its really not hard at all. Thats one sweet rifle!
    Ken,

http://photobucket.com/albums/a186/Leverdude/
    Team 1894 member#146
    Team 45/70 member#458
    Freedoms not free!
    Support your NRA!

Tenderfoot
    Member #

That info was a huge help! Thanks!

The firing pin is really hard to move because of oil that has turned to hardened shellac. How do I disassemble the firing pin from the bolt so I can clean it?

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

There are two pins that go through the bolt top to bottom. They can be driven out either way, and reinstalled either way. Get a piece of hard material that is thicker than the bolt and drill a hole in it. (This will catch the pins) Situate the pin in the bolt over the hole and tap it out with a punch. Do the rear pin first, and then the front pin. You can now remove the rear half and front half, plus the small spring that is under the rear half.
    If it doesn't come out, soak the entire assembly over night in Hoppes #9, and then try to get it out. A small pin punch can be used to push through the firing pin hole at the front, and move te firing pin back.
    Reassembly is just the reverse.-Vall
    Old Marlins, and Single Shot Rifles!
    http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Thanks for all the help guys! I am reassembling the gun and I cannot figure out how to get the hammer spring compressed to install the hammer and hammer screw. Could I give one of you guys a call to discuss it over the phone? If so, please email me your phone number and I'll give you a call. My email is: 777999@gmail.com

Thanks so much.

UPDATE: I got it figured out. I feel like a moron. All I had to do was swing the hammer-spring under the hammer after I reassembled it. DUH!!!

Man...this gun was filthy inside. I think it must be an ounce lighter after cleaning it. Every part inside was caked with dried up oil and crude. The magazine was welded to the barrel with dried oil that had turned to shellac. I got her spotless now. It took me a solid 6 hours to clean it. She's a beauty now! Thanks again for all the help. I couldn't have done it without you guys.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

In my book it's a big bonus when I find one that's got all those years of crud inside! Lets me know that it hasn't been monkeyed with!
    Old Marlins, and Single Shot Rifles!
    http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links