+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Martini

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Martini

Just found a new single shot rifle for my collection! Went to a small gun show south of town, and as I was leaving, a fellow came in the door with a Martini Cadet, chambered for .32-20. It's a beauty, with perfect wood, and although the bluing isa bit worn, the metal and finish is good, and the bore is great! The gun still has the original full length stocks, and looks all original, other than the rechambering to .32-20, which makes it more desireable as a shooter to me! Best part was the price, $250!
    Old Marlins, and Single Shot Rifles!
    http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/

Tinhorn
    Member #

Martini

Another fine pick up mm93. Got a show next week and hoping I can come across a little jewel too. I guess the main thing is to keep that 3d eye working all the time and hit those shows.
    f you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. May your chains set lightly upon you and may prosterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
    Sam Adams

Sidewinder
    Member #

Re: Martini

MM93

This is the Winchester model 52B Sporter I picked up from a guy as he walked into the Gun Show at Tulsa a couple of weeks ago. It was absolutely mint until I put 4 or 5 boxes through it this week. It has one major defect, the cheek pad is on the wrong side as usual.

DG
    Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93
    Just found a new single shot rifle for my collection! Went to a small gun show south of town, and as I was leaving, a fellow came in the door with a Martini Cadet, chambered for .32-20. It's a beauty, with perfect wood, and although the bluing isa bit worn, the metal and finish is good, and the bore is great! The gun still has the original full length stocks, and looks all original, other than the rechambering to .32-20, which makes it more desireable as a shooter to me! Best part was the price, $250!
    You know a guy's time is worth something unless your on welfare"

"Stupidity can be corrected"

blackpowdermax

Martini

Hi Vall...to save you a little heartache at the range, I'll let you in on the secret of the 310 Cadets that were re-chambered to 32-20. The re-chambering works fine, but the bore for the 310 Cadet runs around .320", about .010" too big for the 32-20 bullets. They go tumbling merrily down the barrel. The 310 Cadet is a heeled bullet like your 32 or 38 Long Colt. Heel diameter is .310" and head diameter around .320". You can get some heeled bullets from Buffalo Arms to try. I also found that the neck sizer for the 32-20 leaves the heeled portion too loose and the normal 32-20 case length is too long (because of the heeled bullet). With the loose bullet and too long case, the 1st cartridges that I loaded and ejected without firing left the bullet stuck in the rifling. Kind of like a breech seater I guess. So I had to trim down the cases. I'm working on the sizer thing. Will let you know if sucessful.

Can you believe the weight on that Cadet? Feels like a BB gun after hauling Ballards around for awhile.

Here is a site you might find interesting.....

http://www.martinigallery.com/

max

Member #

Martini

Thanks for the web site Max! Great info, and pictures!
    Sounds like I might want to try either breechseating, or get some of those bullets you mentioned.
    Thanks!
    Here's a horribly fuzzy picture of it.

blackpowdermax

Martini

mm93....need to correct one small bit of info, the heeled portion of the bullet measures .300", not .310" as stated before. So about a .020" difference from the head.

Played around this afternoon to size the case so that it would hold the bullet. Original plan was to muzzle size (neck size) in a 310 tool using a die from a 30M1 carbine set. No luck, still too loose. So started going through the 310 stuff to see if anything else would work and found a old muzzle sizer die that works perfect. The bullet can be seated by hand but it holds tight. Can't pull it back out by hand. That's the good news. Bad news is that I have no clue to it's original application. It's an old one marked only with a "3". Nothing I have shows that # and it's application. I have an inquiry at the antique tool site and we'll see. If I find out, I'll let you know.

Mine is the twin of yours except the stock is darker. Hopefully this loading scheme will work out as I think it would be a lot of fun at the range.

max

Member #

Martini

Sounds good Max. Hopefully you'll figure something out, and I can benefit from your hard work!
    Hard to tell from the picture, but the stocks on mine have a beautiful tiger stripe to them! I'm afraid I have very little knowledge of these Cadets. Were these used for training or issued to enlisted men? What was the purpose of the little 310 caliber?

blackpowdermax

Martini

Vall....these "Cadets" were for the cadets.....young military cadets. I guess the 577/450 Martini was a bit much when you're 12-16 years old. So they came up with the 310 Cadet in caliber 310 Greener. They were basically training rifles for the kids.

A lot of them were rechambered to 32-20 when imported for sale as surplus in the U.S. Made them more desirable I guess since ammo was readily available (as opposed to the 310 Greener). Forgot to mention the bore diameter to prospective buyers I guess.

So now you get to be a kid again I guess.

max

Anonymous

Martini

My former brother in law had a number of these rifles (I'm guessing at a dozen) professionally customized in the late 1960's & early 1970"s . They can be the basis of very desirable single shots. There are a lot of interesting configutations for the underlever.
    Jim.e

Anonymous

Martini

I just read my post & I don't think I made clear that they were rebarreled & rechambered .
    Jim.e

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Links